Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-03-2016, 03:50 PM   #1

Tire shave anyone?

My Discovery has been a nice upgrade over my Excursion in many ways, especially the ride. But I was having a pull to the right problem and a vibration in the front end between 35 and 45 MPH. I took it to the local truck shop got an alignment, front wheel balance (JOSAM in Orlando) and they told me the tires (Goodyears) were out of round and needed to be shaved. Drives so much better now.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-03-2016, 05:33 PM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Didn't realize anyone did that anymore. There is a local tire shop here that used to do that with car tires, but don't think they do it anymore. They called it "truing" the tire. It sounds like a good idea though!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 09:11 PM   #3

I had the same issue when ours was new. The truck shop got good year to approve two new tires for the front.
Old 06-03-2016, 09:25 PM   #4

That was fairly common back in the 50's and early 60's. That's the first time I've heard about it in a decade.
I have heard of incorrect mounting on the rim causing an "out of round" condition.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 09:33 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Wow, never heard of that process before, gotta be cheaper than a new set of tires
Old 06-03-2016, 10:45 PM   #6

Most tire stores would break the tire off the rim and rotate it 180 degrees to see if combined run out of the rim and tire are the issue, before cutting rubber off the tire ; even if they had the equipment to shave the tire.
Where I worked we didn't do tires over 20" and our instructions were; when spin balancing ; any time more than 3oz for the smaller sizes 13/14/15 " and 5 oz on larger sizes was required to balance , rotate the tire on the rim and re-balance.
Old 06-04-2016, 12:18 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We had one of those machines when I was in school for auto mechanics back in the 80s. Have not seen one since.
Old 06-04-2016, 05:57 AM   #8

Back in the day would do this to bias ply tires. Never done it on radials.
h20ski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 06:49 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
Most tire stores would break the tire off the rim and rotate it 180 degrees to see if combined run out of the rim and tire are the issue, before cutting rubber off the tire ; even if they had the equipment to shave the tire.
Where I worked we didn't do tires over 20" and our instructions were; when spin balancing ; any time more than 3oz for the smaller sizes 13/14/15 " and 5 oz on larger sizes was required to balance , rotate the tire on the rim and re-balance.
I would want to know what was really out of round rather than jumping to a conclusion the tire itself was at fault. You could have excessive runout in a hub or wheel causing the problem. Possibly the tire was "dry mounted" when it was originally put on the wheel causing the bead to hang up rather than positioning itself correctly on the wheel rim. The tire should be taken off the wheel, set the wheel up in the balancer and take a dial indicator to the wheel to check for runout. The same can be done with the hub but it is a time consuming process. The bare wheel can be mounted on the hub and runout measured with a dial indicator also.
Grinding miles of use off a tire is not an acceptable fix if a wheel or hub is the culprit. When you replace the tires down the road you will have the same problem to deal with all over again. If the tire is at fault I would want it replaced. Grinding one tire smaller than the other can lead to handling problems all over again.
Like Skip said, small variations in wheel and tire runout can be compensated for by turning the tire on the wheel 90, 180 or 270 degrees. It takes time to do all this if the tire changer marks the tire and wheel and keeps track of where the runout occurs to determine what is at fault.
It's entirely possible the tire was defective from day one or possibly it has hit a pothole causing internal damage you can't see. I would want to know.
Lynn
Old 06-04-2016, 07:59 AM   #10

A year after installing a new set of Michelin 12R 22.5 tires on my coach, I was driving on the interstate in relatively heavy traffic. While slowing for traffic ahead, a car darted into my lane in front of me. More aggressive stopping resulted in flat spotting tires on the tag axle.

Several tire shops said that the only solution to the resulting vibration was to replace these tires.

Eventually, on the recommendation of a fellow rver, I contacted a person which shaves the tires. The shaving operation eliminated the flat spots and the resulting vibration. I was not worried about the loss of tread depth as these tires will age out before they wear out.

I am pleased with the final results.
Old 06-04-2016, 08:04 AM   #11

You're correct, he did refer to it as truing. He also is not a fan of Goodyear RV tires. "Not my weapon of choice" was his opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
Didn't realize anyone did that anymore. There is a local tire shop here that used to do that with car tires, but don't think they do it anymore. They called it "truing" the tire. It sounds like a good idea though!
Old 06-04-2016, 08:12 AM   #12

This was the 3rd time the coach had been back to this shop. 1st time by the dealer before I got it, 2nd time after I'd had it a few months. When I drove home after the second visit it was late in the day. I felt the vibration was still there and when I got on the highway I heard a clunk under the floorboard which I took to be a balancing weight flying off. The pull to the right had been fixed and the vibration was at a very specific speed range. I didn't have time to take it back so I called the manager and he agreed it was not a huge deal and to bring it back when it was convenient for me.

I'm fine with the shaving. They said they measured the tire and it was out of round. Vibration is gone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LETMGROW View Post
I would want to know what was really out of round rather than jumping to a conclusion the tire itself was at fault. You could have excessive runout in a hub or wheel causing the problem. Possibly the tire was "dry mounted" when it was originally put on the wheel causing the bead to hang up rather than positioning itself correctly on the wheel rim. The tire should be taken off the wheel, set the wheel up in the balancer and take a dial indicator to the wheel to check for runout. The same can be done with the hub but it is a time consuming process. The bare wheel can be mounted on the hub and runout measured with a dial indicator also.
Grinding miles of use off a tire is not an acceptable fix if a wheel or hub is the culprit. When you replace the tires down the road you will have the same problem to deal with all over again. If the tire is at fault I would want it replaced. Grinding one tire smaller than the other can lead to handling problems all over again.
Like Skip said, small variations in wheel and tire runout can be compensated for by turning the tire on the wheel 90, 180 or 270 degrees. It takes time to do all this if the tire changer marks the tire and wheel and keeps track of where the runout occurs to determine what is at fault.
It's entirely possible the tire was defective from day one or possibly it has hit a pothole causing internal damage you can't see. I would want to know.
Lynn
Old 06-04-2016, 08:33 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We had a balance problem with a new front tire on a previous RV. I finally took it to a shop that has a Hunter balancer that finds the imperfections in the wheel (low spot) and finds the high spot on the tire and tells the tech where both are and he remounts hi to low and eliminated the problem. I forget the name of the unit, small tire dealers do not have it like our small town dealer because of the $20,000 cost, but most car dealers and truck shops do. It cost me $65 to get both front tires done.