Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 09-13-2016, 12:43 PM   #1
Tire Size

I have a 2001 Monaco Executive, has anyone successfully put larger tires 315x80Rx22.5 on their coach? Manufacturer recommendation is 295x80Rx22.5. I previously owned 2001 Monaco Dynasty that had 305x80Rx22.5 Goodyear G70's and they rode great. I purchased new tires and went with the manufactures recommended 295's and the ride was not nearly as good. My present coach needs new tires and I would like to go larger, if possible?

Mark61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-13-2016, 01:16 PM   #2
Texas Boomers Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Lots of issues can affect ride more than tire size; specifically tire air pressure and also even tire composition (number of plys) - and goodyears are not known for the smooth ride. You might not have clearance for a larger tire. And you also run into issues like speedometer error. Not to mention the cost of more rubber. I would do a air pressure check first. If you are at the load limits of the current tire then you should upsize, IMO not otherwise.

2003 Scepter 40PDBB - Roadmaster rr8s - Cummins ISC350 - suspension mods to come.
jimmy braden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 06:20 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
You will just have to measure the wheel wells on your particular coach. Also consider the dual spacing on the rear axles, since the larger tires may rub against each other if the offset isn't sufficient.

However, I would not assume larger tires will make it ride any better. You might be able to run at a bit lower pressure (psi), but that doesn't necessarily improve things. There are numerous reasons why one coach might ride differently than another, si the difference in tire size is not an automatic answer.
Gary Brinck
2004 American Tradition; 2013 Buick Verano
Homebase in the Ocala Nat'l Forest near Ocala, FL
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 06:21 PM   #4
Tire Size

As long as the tires physically clear the wheel wells you're OK. If your coach is one with a 60-degree wheel cut, make sure the steer tires clear with the wheels turned. You should also check the clearances with the air dumped.

You'll have to check the inflation/load chart for the new tires to confirm inflation pressures. The larger tires may run a few pounds lower than a smaller tire at the same weight.
Rich-n-Linda is offline   Reply With Quote