Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-19-2017, 10:49 AM   #1

Tire Size Question

I am looking to replace all six tires on my coach. My current tires are Toyo M147 295/75R22.5. Toyo doesn't make the M147 anymore, or I would buy them again.

I'm hoping to replace them with Toyo M144s, but that model does not come in my current size. My reasonable options are: 1) 295/80, which is 1.2" taller and same width, or 2)305/70, which is about .5" shorter and about .5" wider.

I would like to hear from this knowledgeable crowd which one you would choose, and why?

Thanks a bunch!

Flip
1999 Holiday Rambler Imperial, Cummins 8.3 ISC

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-19-2017, 01:49 PM   #2

Not intended to down play Toyo, but I would search for a good tire (Michelin, Goodyear, etc.) that is of the same size/load range that originally came on the unit. I say this due to the gearing selection for your unit weight/loads. Up sizing tires can have a negative effect in mpg and overall durability of the drive train. Down sizing tires can get you more responsiveness, but the engine rpm will be a little higher at given speeds compared to original size tires. Of course, any tire you select will need to meet or exceed the load range of the original tires.

CMelder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 01:58 PM   #3

Toyo makes the 295/75R22.5 in the M154 smartway certified tire.

https://www.toyotires.com/commercial...-position-tire

Mike
Old 05-19-2017, 04:17 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Toyo makes that size in several models, e.g.M177, M657,M647, M677, so ask a Toyo dealer about which one would best suit your needs. And consider other brands as well - 295/75 is fairly common size and widely available. The Hankook Ah12 is one excellent choice. Firestone and Genral too. Others include Goodyear and Continental, but they will be pricier.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 08:20 PM   #5

You can add Yokohamas and Bridgestone to that list.
Old 05-19-2017, 08:27 PM   #6

American Coach Owners Club
i have been running the TOYO M177's in that size for a year now.-- really like the tires as I did with the M147's.

I won't get into the tire war discussions, but for my money I would stick with the TOYO's.

thx Dale.
Old 05-19-2017, 08:27 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I installed Firestone TS591 in 295/75R 22.5 LR16 a few months and several thousand miles ago. Very satisfied. $2805 for six all up and out the door.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 06:58 AM   #8

Thank you for all the great replies! I think I'll stick with Toyos, since my 7+ year old tires still look like new. That brand has proven its value to me. Gary RVRoamer suggested some M6 series tires, which are made for drive axles. Is there any benefit or deficit to placing a different Toyo model (same size, of course) on the drives than in the steers?

Thanks again!
Old 05-20-2017, 07:02 AM   #9

American Coach Owners Club
Since I bought one TOYO two days ago, I can verify here in Florida at a local truck tire and repair facility, that six TOYO M177 in size 295/75/22.5, mounted and balanced, new metal stems and such with 6% sales tax would be $2500. Same price range that was stated for the Firestone's in previous post.

M177's are rated as a steer tire, that is also suitable for drive or trailer use. Mine are the 16 ply version.

thx Dale
Old 05-20-2017, 04:40 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Gary RVRoamer suggested some M6 series tires, which are made for drive axles. Is there any benefit or deficit to placing a different Toyo model (same size, of course) on the drives than in the steers?
Drive-axle only tires typically have a tread design that maximizes traction, sacrificing the ability to steer in favor of slightly improved braking and acceleration characteristics. tread is also designed to run more miles, since they don't need steering capability. Neither of those are much advantage in a motorhome, and you lose the ability to rotate a drive axle tire to the front if needed. Drive axle tires also are supposedly noisier than steer tires (tread design again).

I wouldn't bother - and many truck fleets don't either. It's mostly something for an OTR fleet, where they run long hours at high speeds going largely straight ahead, and even a few percent of extra tread mileage is valuable. Regional delivery and other trucks applications generally don't bother with it.

You might read these articles:
http://fleetowner.com/management/bills-drive-tire-0801
http://fleetowner.com/equipment/tire...leet_tires_one
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 09:04 PM   #11
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pbac View Post
I am looking to replace all six tires on my coach. My current tires are Toyo M147 295/75R22.5. Toyo doesn't make the M147 anymore, or I would buy them again.

I'm hoping to replace them with Toyo M144s, but that model does not come in my current size. My reasonable options are: 1) 295/80, which is 1.2" taller and same width, or 2)305/70, which is about .5" shorter and about .5" wider.

I would like to hear from this knowledgeable crowd which one you would choose, and why?

Thanks a bunch!

Flip
1999 Holiday Rambler Imperial, Cummins 8.3 ISC
I made that very move on my Monaco which is similar to your HR only from Michelin's to Toyos. Toyo makes a great tire at a great price.
Old 05-20-2017, 09:07 PM   #12
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMelder View Post
Not intended to down play Toyo, but I would search for a good tire (Michelin, Goodyear, etc.) that is of the same size/load range that originally came on the unit. I say this due to the gearing selection for your unit weight/loads. Up sizing tires can have a negative effect in mpg and overall durability of the drive train. Down sizing tires can get you more responsiveness, but the engine rpm will be a little higher at given speeds compared to original size tires. Of course, any tire you select will need to meet or exceed the load range of the original tires.
Can you expound a little on how upgrading a tire affects drive train durability?
Old 05-21-2017, 04:38 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by barmcd View Post
Can you expound a little on how upgrading a tire affects drive train durability?
Sure, when you "upsize" the tire diameter you are effecting the gear ratio between the engine and the final drive. The larger tires would make the overall drive ratio higher, which means more torque is required to perform the same work being done (load + speed = work). Kind of like a manual transmission setup being put into 4th gear when it should be in 3rd gear ... lugging the engine. Certainly not at this extreme, but you get the picture. If more torque is required then more stress is being exerted on components this will effect long term durability. Of course, there are many other elements that effect durability, so please don't take this as this will totally kill your engine or tranny quickly, it will not. However, it can have a effect that you may not recognize as the culprit way down the road. I have many friends that have upsized tires on their pickup trucks, later to lament how poor fuel mileage they get, and then later issues with suspension, transmission, etc. and they ALL forget about what they did with the tire sizing early on. A MH may be more impacted given it is "loaded" every mile.
CMelder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 08:04 AM   #14

X2 on the Toyo M154