Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-29-2014, 09:22 AM   #15

Gary
I googled 'goodyear rv tire riveting' and couldn't find anything close to a claim that it was not a problem, other than Goodyear declining to replace tires in some instances but working with other posters. What does 'no action taken' mean and action by whom? BTW, I don't have a dog in this fight, went with Bridgestone Ecopias when replacing our OEM Goodyears due to time only.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-29-2014, 01:14 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaboy473 View Post
Can this only be done at a tire dealer? Who does it and can we DIY?
There are many states that leave the DOT scales ON when they are closed. That's where I do my 4-corner weighing. If they are open, there are usually lots of trucks there so I drive on by, but many states, or individuals working the weigh stations for the state, don't mind a RV'er getting weighed. After all, it's a safety thing for both the driver of the RV and other people on the road. Some of them have a poorly placed cement barrier so you can only weigh the axles but those are rare in my experience.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : http://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 06:13 AM   #17

Jim, I can get the MH weighed at the county landfill or the weigh station on I-10, but how would you get just one corner on at a time?
Old 06-30-2014, 07:43 AM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
Hi Gary:

I didn't mean to sound like I was in an uproar. Tires are things that i tend not to understand very well yet. In my life to this point, I've never had a blowout on the road. I count myself very lucky in that respect and want to do everything I can not to have to live through an incident that, especially one due to my negligence.

I can only imagine what it would be like to have driven several hours in the coach and be all settled in and on somewhat of an "autopilot" then have something like a blowout on my front passenger side tire. In this scenario in my mind, this would happen in the blink of an eye. Then I have 64 year old reaction time, shock and lack of experience to deal with. I imagine that I would have quite a lot of guilt to deal with if someone I love was killed or injured. I'd have quite a lot of guilt to deal with if anyone was killed or injured because of the accident. I'd have quite a lot of guilt to deal with if our home was destroyed.

At this point, I get concerned over any excessive wear on a tire. I feel that if that sort of were was normal, I would have experienced it after 9 years of motor home ownership. All four Class A motor homes I've owned have been on Goodyear 670s. I want to make sure that if there is a real tire defect, I address it as soon as possible. I want to make sure that if Goodyear is not going to stand behind their product I don't continue patronizing them. I'm just trying to educate myself and be a more responsible human being.

I appreciate your post. It helps me understand that this issue is not a critical as it seems. If folks like you didn't share their knowledge, I would only have salesmen and commercials on which to base my decisions.

This is why these forums are so valuable to me.

Again, thanks for your input.

Kevin
Old 07-01-2014, 08:20 AM   #19

Gary
I have searched (googled) RV tire 'rivering' every way I can think of on two different occasions and cannot locate anything like you wrote about "no action taken" or any finding that the rivering was not a serious issue. Would you please provide a link showing 'rivering' is not a problem?
Old 07-01-2014, 12:16 PM   #20

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Kevin,
We had a blowout on I76 just east of Sterling, CO and I wouldn't wish it on anyone. The front drivers side tire blew and it sounded like an explosion right behind me. The TPMS alarm was screaming as the MH vered left and headed for the median between the East and West bound traffic. The median was sloped and I thought we were going to roll over but we managed to steer into the median and stay upright. We rumbled through the sand and brush and finally came to a stop by the side of the road. Scariest thing that ever happened to me! About half the basement doors popped open leaving a trail stuff in our wake and there was some torn fiberglass and missing paint. The towbar was bent and the dinghy covered in sand and dust. The second scariest moment came an hour later when I had to call my brother in law, who loaned us his motorhome, to tell him what happened! We
still enjoyed it so much that we bought our first MH the next spring.
Old 07-01-2014, 08:06 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaboy473 View Post
Jim, I can get the MH weighed at the county landfill or the weigh station on I-10, but how would you get just one corner on at a time?
Assuming you have a scale that is open on one side heres how you do it. pull unit on scale front axle only to get front axle full weight. pull completely on scale to get gross weight, info only. pull front axle off scale to get rear axle full weight. IF the scale is accessible on one side do the left or right side only, front axle then rear axle only. then you have weights for one side. subtract the one side from the total of that axle to get the other side.If you can't do a side at a time then just divide axle weights in half for corner weights.
Old 07-02-2014, 06:34 AM   #22

TBS-POPS
On many scales your method would be skewed as the scales are raised, causing the coach to lean towards the lower side which is off the scales and rendering the reading worthless. I caution folks to ensure the scales are flat with the surrounding off scale area. If I weren't so lazy, might start up a four corner weighing business myself and become a vendor at RV rallies. It really would help lots of folks in danger of blowouts who don't have a clue about needing a four corner weighing. The people at RV Safety RV Safety & Education Foundation write they won't come to campsites to weigh because too many sites are not level enough to get an accurate reading. Perhaps your method would show whether or not further investigation is warranted?