Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-02-2011, 10:49 AM   #1

Tire Valve Extenders or Not?

Looking for some thoughts from others on the use of Valve Extenders or NOT. And if NOT, how are you dealing with the inside tire valve?

Thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-02-2011, 11:09 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
My coach came with them but I finally replaced all of the stems this past April when installing new tires because of the amount of bad reports I had read about dealing with leaks and deteriorating valve extenders. The insides of the extenders are rubber and will deteriorate over time. I never had any leaking problems with mine but I did not want to take any chances and since it was a convenient time to replace the stems I did.

I had the tire shop replace all of the stems with the Dually Chrome Stems available at Dually Valve - Main Frameset web site.

They are the BEST !!

Dr4Film ----- Richard.

Old 02-02-2011, 11:26 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Quinten,
I've got many miles and years using valve extenders. Had only one problem associated with using them. For me, it is the way to go.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 11:45 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Send a message via Yahoo to Rick Long
I use them and like them EXCEPT!!!! NOT the AIRLESS ONE'S... They cost me a $350 new tire.. the o"rings crumbled under the Nevada heat and deflated a new tire while going down the road.

I use and recommend the Dicor Extensions...
Rick Long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 11:50 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

I think Richard has the right idea. Install properly sized stems when installing new tires. While I don't like the additional point of failure injected by extenders... if it is going to encourage the regular checking of tire inflation I'm all for them. If the stems are hard to access it's too easy to ignore tire maintenance.

Of course, IMHO, a TPMS is really the way to go.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 11:56 AM   #6
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Well, I purchased TPMS monitors, so I wanted the monitor to be able to be screwed on and off easily. I had extenders and 90 degree valves put on. The extenders were the stainless steel flexible and the inside dually came out and the end was pop riveted to the drum liner.

I had a flat. It was discovered that the extension was leaking at the area where the braid goes to the valve. I have removed them and just use the dual headed air chuck (truckers chuck) to fill the tires when needed. I still have not installed the TPMS. After putting them on the TOAD and having a couple slow leak, I'm a little frightened about installing them. I do check my tire air pressures before moving the coach in the morning of departure.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 12:09 PM   #7

National RV Owners Club
I installed these over a year ago and haven't had any leaks at all. Sure makes checking the air a lot easier.
Amazon.com: Pacific Dualies 18135 135 Degree Valve Stem Extension - Set of 2: Automotive

Amazon.com: Pacific Dualies 18099 3 Inch Straight Valve Stem Extension - Set of 2: Automotive

I used both on the inside rear.
Old 02-02-2011, 12:56 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film
My coach came with them but I finally replaced all of the stems this past April when installing new tires because of the amount of bad reports I had read about dealing with leaks and deteriorating valve extenders. The insides of the extenders are rubber and will deteriorate over time. I never had any leaking problems with mine but I did not want to take any chances and since it was a convenient time to replace the stems I did.

I had the tire shop replace all of the stems with the Dually Chrome Stems available at Dually Valve - Main Frameset web site.

They are the BEST !!

Dr4Film ----- Richard.
This is the ONLY way to go IMHO.

Install that Dually stem kit with a good TPMS and you'll never have to worry about a blowout or leak. It costs me $20 a tire plus the cost of the stems to have a local truck tire place put them on my brand new Itasca. Don't wait to replace the tires. Do it now. What is a $150 to save your life AND make you daily trip check easier?
Old 02-02-2011, 02:00 PM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
On my last motor home a set of the airless braided metal covered extensions cost me two tires.
My current motor home came with a set of air versus airless extensions that worked okay for seven years - okay in that I had no air loss due their use. They were still difficult to use - I needed one more hand when adding air - and were hard to secure properly with the Pressure Pro sensors installed.

I had to use cable ties and wiring loom to keep the extenders from rubbing on the metal wire clips that held the extenders in place where they came through the wheel cover.

Last November when I had new tires installed I bought a set of DuallyValves from Borg Tire Supply and had them installed at the same time.

Very easy to add air and the sensors don't bounce at all.
Old 02-02-2011, 03:42 PM   #10

I recently added extenders and had problems with the valve stems leaking in two of the six tires. It seems the extender put additional pressure on the valve stem causing them to fail. I lost one good tire due to the slow leak before finding the problem.
Old 02-02-2011, 07:38 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
I use the camping world airless extenders, bought a new set when I got new tires last year. Currently using 5 of 6, the one on the right rear inner went bad on the way home last summer.
I'll need to replace it. Too bad you can't buy just one.

I check pressure every morning, and at every stop.
My first year was my "year of the bad tires" and I don't aim to repeat it.

I would love to use the one peice "dually valves" but my F53 has 7 identical rims including a full spare.
Old 02-02-2011, 08:09 PM   #12

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Dually Stems with TPMS and equal powder is our arrangement and works just fine.

Been there done that with the braided extensions. Never again.
Tiffin Allegro Bus, 425 Cummins Freightliner XCR, Camp Freightliner, Acadia Denali, tow-N-4 Down, Blue-OX tow bar, TST Monitors, Seelevel II Monitors, Samsung Res Fridge, Progressive 50A-EMS, No Kids-No Pets, Full Time.
bdaball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 08:18 PM   #13

Would also recommend installing the Dually valve stems with a TPMS. Other items or systems may work, but the best is the correct stems.
Good Luck
CarlGeo
Old 02-02-2011, 08:30 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

We have 180 degree (reverse) solid metal extenders for the inner valve on the duals and no problems at all (4+ years). Use them to mount the TPMS sensor where I can get at it. Previous coach came from the factory with braided extenders on the rear duals and they performed faultlessly for 5 years. I'm not claiming that extenders are 100% trouble free, but a quality extender, properly installed, should not be a source of problems.

Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is online now   Reply With Quote