Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 11-13-2013, 10:45 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
johnhicks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Wandering below the Gnat Line
Posts: 511
Tire valve extension weirdness

This is strange.

We bought six new tires in June; the dealer had only flexible extensions for the duallies and although we weren't thrilled about that it was imperative to put new tires on the beast sooner rather than later.

All has been well until the last week when we've has some really cold nights; the next day the inner duals have been effectively flat. (Not driven on) I'd inflate them and a day or two later, flat again. I don't think anything's loose although I can't get at the stem to tighten them up (all of 200 miles on 'em) and the valve doesn't blow soap bubbles. Warm weather they're fine; cold weather they leak.

I've got some metal extensions coming and will have them installed. And if I didn't have a TPMS I would've driven out on two flat tires that I'd inflated just the day before and wondered what happened.
__________________

__________________
johnhicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-13-2013, 11:34 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
vsheetz's Avatar


 
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: SoCal
Posts: 11,801
TPMS - I like mine. Makes issues such as your very evident. Agree, the metal extensions should resolve the issue.
__________________

__________________
Vince and Susan
2011 Tiffin Phaeton 40QTH (Cummins ISC/Freightliner)
Flat towing a modified 2005 Jeep (Rubicon Wrangler)
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 11:50 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Arch Hoagland's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Clovis, CA, USA
Posts: 5,908
Have the exact same problem. New tires in May, have done a few trips since then.

Went to get the coach ready for a trip yesterday and checked tire pressures and inside dual drivers side had zero air pressure. It was fine when I parked it couple weeks ago and all tires were set to 90.

So I pumped it up to about 70 lb, let it sit for 20 minutes and it dropped 10 lb. messed with it for a while, and it kept loosing air at about the same rate. Moved the coach around looking for screws, nails etc and then pumped it up to 100lb. No more loose of air.

Checked again today still good.

Called the place that installed the tires,Michelin XRV's, and will take it to them Friday and have the flex extensions replaced.

They have worked for 7 years with no problems but will have them replaced anyways.
__________________
2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD, W22, 8.1, 7.1 MPG
2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 07:36 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
jergeod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Upstate New York
Posts: 328
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
Have the exact same problem. New tires in May, have done a few trips since then.

Went to get the coach ready for a trip yesterday and checked tire pressures and inside dual drivers side had zero air pressure. It was fine when I parked it couple weeks ago and all tires were set to 90.

So I pumped it up to about 70 lb, let it sit for 20 minutes and it dropped 10 lb. messed with it for a while, and it kept loosing air at about the same rate. Moved the coach around looking for screws, nails etc and then pumped it up to 100lb. No more loose of air.

Checked again today still good.

Called the place that installed the tires,Michelin XRV's, and will take it to them Friday and have the flex extensions replaced.

They have worked for 7 years with no problems but will have them replaced anyways.
By your statement I would have to think that the bead was leaking not the extension.
__________________
George & Jerri
06 GT 340TSSE
USMC VET.
jergeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 07:57 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 3,336
We had a similar problem with the extensions on our previous coach. In our case there was a small o ring in the end that screwed onto the valve stem. When the weather turned cold the o rings shrunk slightly allowing air to escape at the joint.

It turned out the o rings weren't lubricated when the extensions were installed. rather than slipping over the threaded end of the valve stem they just butted up against them. A little shrinkage due to the cold was all it took to open a gap. I removed the extensions, wiped a little Vaseline over the o rings with a Q tip and reinstalled them. They worked fine for another 75,000 miles. When we added a TPMS we changed to rigid extensions.
__________________
Hikerdogs
2013 Adventurer 32H
Hikerdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 08:50 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
JFNM's Avatar
 
Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Mountain West
Posts: 1,060
Similar problem here. My rear tires were very old and kept going flat (while sitting). I purchased new tires and was shocked to find them going flat as well. At first, I was annoyed with the tire dealer. Finally, the light went on that it was probably my valve extenders. Removed them and all is well. Haven't decided what to replace them with yet.
__________________
JD & Buddy (the ferocious feline) - Full timer out west
2005 Newmar Dutch Star 4023 | 2010 Wrangler (daJeep) | 650 Watts Solar
My Adventures
JFNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 09:41 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Modela's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Princeton, LA
Posts: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikerdogs View Post
We had a similar problem with the extensions on our previous coach. In our case there was a small o ring in the end that screwed onto the valve stem. When the weather turned cold the o rings shrunk slightly allowing air to escape at the joint.

It turned out the o rings weren't lubricated when the extensions were installed. rather than slipping over the threaded end of the valve stem they just butted up against them. A little shrinkage due to the cold was all it took to open a gap. I removed the extensions, wiped a little Vaseline over the o rings with a Q tip and reinstalled them. They worked fine for another 75,000 miles. When we added a TPMS we changed to rigid extensions.
I had the same problem with some extensions that I put on mine. I took them off. I will lubricated them and try again.
__________________
2008 Gulf Stream BT Cruiser
Wisdom is not a product of schooling, but of a lifelong attempt to acquire it.
Modela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 09:53 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Sky_Boss's Avatar


 
Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: ON THE ROAD...SOMEWHERE
Posts: 6,071
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFNM View Post
...Finally, the light went on that it was probably my valve extenders. Removed them and all is well. Haven't decided what to replace them with yet.
Consider something like this



DL4FO Chrome Dually Valve Kit

You have to break the tires apart but that removes extensions. The round round rubber pieces fit in the wheel hand holds to support the long extension and with a TPMS are even more important supporting the extra weight spinning around. You have to order these based on your wheel manufacturer and hand hold size. They are a little pricey but worth it.
__________________
Don, Sandee & GSD Zeus. Guardian GSDs Gunny (7/11/15) & Thor (5/5/15)
2006 DSDP 4320, Spartan MM IFS, 2013 CR-V, Blue Ox Avail, SMI AF1, Samsung 197R Refer.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 09:58 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
johnhicks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Wandering below the Gnat Line
Posts: 511
I know the installer didn't lubricate any o-rings in the extensions.

But that makes perfect sense; o-rings shrinking and becoming hard in 25F and lower temps and leaking.
__________________
johnhicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 10:03 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
Sky_Boss's Avatar


 
Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: ON THE ROAD...SOMEWHERE
Posts: 6,071
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnhicks View Post
I know the installer didn't lubricate any o-rings in the extensions.

But that makes perfect sense; o-rings shrinking and becoming hard in 25F and lower temps and leaking.
Same as what happened to the Challenger STS.
__________________
Don, Sandee & GSD Zeus. Guardian GSDs Gunny (7/11/15) & Thor (5/5/15)
2006 DSDP 4320, Spartan MM IFS, 2013 CR-V, Blue Ox Avail, SMI AF1, Samsung 197R Refer.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 10:56 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
Arch Hoagland's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Clovis, CA, USA
Posts: 5,908
Quote:
Originally Posted by jergeod View Post
By your statement I would have to think that the bead was leaking not the extension.
Yes I thought about that too but the fact that I've driven it about 5,000 miles since the new tires were installed kinda ruled out the bead seating.

The temperatures have dropped down to the high 30's since I had checked the pressures a few weeks ago and now seeing several other people with the same problem now that it cooler leads me to believe the valve core or the extenders are creating the problem.

Goes in tomorrow for the dealer to check it out.

Thanks for all the replies everybody!
__________________
2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD, W22, 8.1, 7.1 MPG
2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 11:18 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Mcdonough, Ga.
Posts: 4,383
Extenders have always been a problem. They are a big help with filling, but a pain in the but with leaks. We also ran into leaks when it turned very cold. I use extenders on my Pace, but I am not really a fan. I plan to go to the long stems at the next tire change.
__________________
1998 Pace Arrow 35 ft. F53 Ford V10 2012 Honda Civic toad
32 years mechanic at Delta Air Lines 15 year motorhome service manager. 3 popups....2 travel trailers....5 motorhomes....loved them all.
ga traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 03:31 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Arch Hoagland's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Clovis, CA, USA
Posts: 5,908
ga traveler...........Is there an alternative for the rear duals besides the braided extenders?

When you say long stems...will they extend far enough for an inside dual to be filled/checked?
__________________
2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD, W22, 8.1, 7.1 MPG
2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 03:36 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Sky_Boss's Avatar


 
Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: ON THE ROAD...SOMEWHERE
Posts: 6,071
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
ga traveler...........Is there an alternative for the rear duals besides the braided extenders?

When you say long stems...will they extend far enough for an inside dual to be filled/checked?
The picture of the extenders I posted earlier do that.
__________________

__________________
Don, Sandee & GSD Zeus. Guardian GSDs Gunny (7/11/15) & Thor (5/5/15)
2006 DSDP 4320, Spartan MM IFS, 2013 CR-V, Blue Ox Avail, SMI AF1, Samsung 197R Refer.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:20 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.