Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 02-21-2012, 06:16 AM   #29
Monaco Owners Club
When I read this thread I thought the op didn't understand how valve stems were installed on truck/RV wheels. Yesterday I was looking at my friends new 2012 Pheaton and his outside rear valve stems were pointed out.

2009 Safari Cheetah 42 PAQ
2009 Honda CRV
tbfirm is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-21-2012, 06:47 AM   #30
Originally Posted by cvik View Post
The only air compressors that I have ever seen are @ scuba shops that dry the air before filling a tank & they cost thousands of dollars.

Air dryers are a commom addition to almost any commercial compressor. There are several different styles. Prices for refrigerated units can run into the thousands while a desicant style dryer can cost as little as $50.00.

I use a desicant style on both the compressor in the shop and the one that stays in the motorhome. They keep the air dry enough that there has never been a problem with the tire balancing powder clumping.

As for the shop "incorrectly installing the valve stems" I'll bet the replaced the originals with the exact same stems in the exact same orientation. Every time we've bought new tires the stems have been replaced. The stems on the outer duals always face inward. While they are difficult to get at they can be filled and checked using the dual foot gauge and chuck.

Almost all outer duals have inward facing valve stems. Original production cost and installation is minimized by using a single style valve stem on all tires. By using a single style there is no concern that a tire will be installed in the wrong position. Most RV dealers install valve extensions on the inner duals so the customer doesn't have to remove the outer wheel (or a wheel cover) to access the valve stem.

If you feel the stems aren't accessible go back to the dealer and ask them to check the tire pressure in ALL the tires. I would ask to observe the process so you can do it by yourself in the future. If they can't do it on the outer duals it will certainly make them aware that they have made a mistake. At that point I would ask them to correct it. If they can check all the pressures easily I would ask what type of gauge and air chuck they use, then purchase those items for future use..

2013 Adventurer 32H
Hikerdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 05:38 PM   #31
Originally Posted by docj View Post
But you can monitor the pressure in the two tires using a single sensor. If the Crossfire has to act because one tire is losing air the remaining tire will experience a modest pressure loss which you should see on your TPMS monitor.
If I am not mistaken, I believe there is a small adapter you can get which allows you to put on the TMPS sensors BEFORE the Crossfire so you can monitor individual pressures. I know, it seems like overkill but someone thought enough of it do do it and post pictures.
See this link.

Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote