Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-18-2012, 06:32 AM   #1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Cool Tire valve stem position

We are rather new to the RV world. Let me start from the beginning.
This Past July 22, 2011 We bought our new to us DP from Lazydays.
The sale & treatment were above outstanding. Now my dilemma. We weren't comfortable with the tires on the motorhome, so purchased 6 brand new tires. Had them balanced & filled with nitrogen. I guess you can say I failed to check the installation of said tires. Anyways I finally got around to checking the tire pressures. I got access to a bottle of nitrogen to add lbs. if needed. All went well until I went to check the rear dual tires. On both sides, the outboard tire valve stems are facing in towards the inboard tire. No way to access the valves to check the tire pressure on either outboard tire. I haven't contacted Lazydays yet to see if there is a way to correct my situation without having to pay through the nose if you know what I mean. I want to try & be diplomatic about it, but right now, the way I feel I don't know if I will be able to contain myself. Any diplomats out there?
Carl

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-18-2012, 06:45 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Carl,

What you should have done is addressed this concern when you were having the new tires installed. It would have been very easy to do. Now you will need to have each tire dismounted to have new stems put in.

Borg Dually Valves sells stems made especially for motor-homes. You need to have stems that are pointed out for the outside dually, and then use an extended valve stem from the inside dually that goes through a special support donut mounted on the outside dually so you have easy access to both.

Don't use extensions as they will eventually leak and cause you more problems than you can ever imagine.

There are other places to get this valve stems like OTR truck tire shops, etc.

As a side note, I would have had Lazy Days pay for the 6 new tires especially if the DOT date codes had expired or close to it.

Dr4Film ----- Richard

Old 02-18-2012, 07:03 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Carl,
It sounds like the outer rears are correctly installed. Dual tires are usually mounted this way so that they are interchangeable with the inner position. For adding air/nitrogen you use an elongated, two headed, air chuck available at any auto parts store.

That said, if you have decorative aluminum wheels you will never exchange them with the steel inners so you can modify the wheels to Dually Valves (as mentioned) if you wish to. It would make easier to install a pressure monitoring system also.
SVTotem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 07:05 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Most stems I have ever seen was mounted with the stem pointed inside. An angled, dual foot tester will do the trick. You can get an inflater also that will work.

Both can be found at any autoparts store.
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 07:16 AM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Don't worry about what you "should" have done; if you are new to this these things creep up on you from time to time. Happens to us all.

A diplomatic reasoned approach to Lazy Days if they installed these would do the trick I am betting.

Out board tire stems unreachable? the installer should know better if you mean the outter most tire of the duals. If so just take them back and have them change it for you. Really installing a tire so it cannot be aired up is not good work. As far as the inner dual then many become unreachable, or reachable with difficulty. Tire stems do not point into the rim, they point out or should if installed correctly. Your were not installed correctly.

They make air valve tools with different angles to accomplish reaching the inner dual but it is still a pain. This tool may also help with your dilema, a cheap fix.

People are critical of braided extensions or any extensions but I had mine ten years and did not have a problem. Installing is a DIY job. Dually valves are really nice but costly they will set you back 120 bucks. plus installation probably 20/25 bucks per tire.

I went to dually valves when i bought new tires not because I did not like my braided extensions but because I kept cutting my hand on them when I washed my tire rims.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 07:18 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizard View Post
Most stems I have ever seen was mounted with the stem pointed inside. An angled, dual foot tester will do the trick. You can get an inflater also that will work.
I will dispute this if you don't mind. Depending on the length of the valve stems, often times the angle head dual foot still won't allow you to gauge the outside tire. Removal of the simulators is necessary in most cases. Sometimes this doesn't even help. I have a basic automotive type air chuck and gauge with a flex hose that sometimes I can reach between the wheels to do the job but this isn't something Mr. RV Owner would want to do regularly.
Old 02-18-2012, 07:19 AM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by njs42 View Post
Don't worry about what you "should" have done; if you are new to this these things creep up on you from time to time. Happens to us all.

A diplomatic reasoned approach to Lazy Days if they installed these would do the trick I am betting.

Out board tire stems unreachable? the installer should know better if you mean the outter most tire of the duals. If so just take them back and have them change it for you. Really installing a tire so it cannot be aired up is not good work. As far as the inner dual then many become unreachable, or reachable with difficulty. Tire stems do not point into the rim, they point out or should if installed correctly. Your were not installed correctly.

They make air valve tools with different angles to accomplish reaching the inner dual but it is still a pain. This tool may also help with your dilema, a cheap fix.

People are critical of braided extensions or any extensions but I had mine ten years and did not have a problem. Installing is a DIY job. Dually valves are really nice but costly they will set you back 120 bucks. plus installation probably 20/25 bucks per tire.

I went to dually valves when i bought new tires not because I did not like my braided extensions but because I kept cutting my hand on them when I washed my tire rims.

I'm going to amend my suggestion that they are installed incorrectly based on the other two comments---I think maybe I just do not have a good picture of this---however the fixes are numerous and range from cheap to expensive---take your pick.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 07:40 AM   #8

Quote:
Borg Dually Valves sells stems made especially for motor-homes. You need to have stems that are pointed out for the outside dually, and then use an extended valve stem from the inside dually that goes through a special support donut mounted on the outside dually so you have easy access to both.

Don't use extensions as they will eventually leak and cause you more problems than you can ever imagine.
I heartily second the Dually Valves. After struggling with extensions and getting on hands and knees to add/check air, we had the Dually Valves installed. One of those things you buy that you strain your elbow patting yourself on the back for buying. Good luck.
Old 02-18-2012, 08:17 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Carl,
Search You Tube for rvgeeks. You will find this couple has produced a number of high quality videos on some common RV tasks. One is inflating tires.

These free videos are great for newer RV folks.
SVTotem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 09:17 AM   #10

I guess the billions of truckers, over the years, didn't know they had a problem with incorrectly installed stems! By the way, I switched to the Dually Valves. Ed
Old 02-18-2012, 09:23 AM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Put a set of crossfires on. Then you only have one valve to fill and piece of mind that both tires are inflated with only a glance at the gauge.

Dual Dynamics
06 Hurricane 34FT WH W20 Chassis 8.1L 132K, Steersafe, Koni Shocks, DIY Trac Bar, Tri-Metric 2025RV Battery Monitor, 4-6V Batteries, Scan Gauge 2, Crossfires, 735W Solar Morningstar MPPT-60, WG T4 In-Motion Sat, XM Radio, 07 Chevy Malibu Maxx Toad, Falcon 2, Brake Buddy, Escapee
mgscott4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 09:41 AM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I second the motion. Crossfires is the way to go. Only one look, and you can tell how much air in both tires. If you have to add air, both tires are inflated at once.
Old 02-18-2012, 11:15 AM   #13

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dajudge View Post
I second the motion. Crossfires is the way to go. Only one look, and you can tell how much air in both tires. If you have to add air, both tires are inflated at once.
Can a TPMS be used with these?
gmadams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 11:51 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmadams View Post
Can a TPMS be used with these?
Not if you want to monitor the tires individually....

texnet is offline   Reply With Quote