Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-11-2017, 08:28 AM   #15

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ru499 View Post
Never rotated tires on a M/H or a truck. Why???
The back tires , duals, where grip tires and the fronts where steering tires. I kept them all balanced and never moved them from there original install location. They where / are on a work truck.
After 60,000 plus miles they where still good.
Terry

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-11-2017, 08:51 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
I also had unusual wear on the outside of one front tire. I helped to swap the tag tires with the steer tires. When we pulled the wheels off, I could see that I would not be able to polish the other sides of the wheels, so it was a simple thing to dismount the tires and keep the wheels in their original positions. If you have the shop put the wheels back into the original positions and then dismount the tires that you want to switch, it's not that big of a deal. If you only have one worn front tire and you are getting new tires, why not just swap the worn tire with a good one and drive home? No need to rotate all of the tires.

I think I would rather get the polished surface of the front wheels back in the open now rather than after a 3,000 mile trip. In theory, they should be ok, but if you are concerned, as I would be, better to do it now.

X2. This is correct.

Old 08-11-2017, 08:57 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfryman View Post
If you now have 4 unpolished exposed wheels it sounds like the just swapped the rear outside tire to the front, which requires both tires to be "flipped" and if they are on the same side of the coach as originally, they are now rotating the opposite direction than they were originally: a big no-no for radial tires.
There are some directional tires out there that have to be kept on the same side of the vehicle. They're made to spin in one direction. However, most radials made these days can be rotated per the chassis manufacturer's specifications. For instance, my Workhorse, which runs radial tires, shows the typical crisscross method.

That crisscross rotation is recommended for 19.5 to 22.5 inch steel wheels on the Workhorse. I believe there is a different procedure for aluminum and alloy wheels. Of course, other chassis manufacturers may have different procedures all together.

But then you sometimes find steer tires and drive tires used on the same rig. As said above, a lot of RVers simply keep an eye on their tires and defer rotation unless they have no choice.

On the OP's, with what looks to be non-steel wheels, doesn't matter what the rotation procedure is,,, the tires would need to be dismounted and remounted to keep the polished sides out.
Old 08-11-2017, 10:15 AM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

The wheel thing is cosmetic and not strictly related to motorhomes. Some (higher priced) motorhomes have 6 (or 8) polished wheels and moving the wheels around is not a concern. Yours, apparently does not. Since it was a temporary precaution measure to get home, the ugly but temporary situation is maybe no big deal. Your call, but it sounds like a discussion that should have been had at the tire shop before the job was done.

Some few tires are designed to be installed so the tire turns in one direction only, usually indicated by an arrow on the sidewall. Also, some tires may be designated for steer or drive axles only and cannot be switched to another axle. I doubt if either is true of your tires, but its something to be aware of when requesting a tire & wheel rotation.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 10:29 AM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I understand what you're asking; is the polished surfaces that are now against the hub (in front) or against the inner dual (in the rear) going to be damaged/scratched during the next 3000 miles?

There is an easy way to answer that. You now have what used to be those inner non-polished surfaces facing out. So look at them. Are there significant marks around the lug areas where those surfaces were in contact with the hub or inner dual? If so, then you are likely to scratch the polished sides; at which point the question is how bad is it and can it be polished out?

The pic posted of your front (which I assume WAS your rear), does show some significant marks where the rim mated up to the inner dual. But it's hard to tell if they are just surface markings or significantly deeper.
4x4van is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 11:11 AM   #20

Check the rotation indicators. If they're correct you'll be ok.
Old 08-11-2017, 11:28 AM   #21

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
The wheel thing is cosmetic and not strictly related to motorhomes. Some (higher priced) motorhomes have 6 (or 8) polished wheels and moving the wheels around is not a concern. Yours, apparently does not. Since it was a temporary precaution measure to get home, the ugly but temporary situation is maybe no big deal. Your call, but it sounds like a discussion that should have been had at the tire shop before the job was done.

Some few tires are designed to be installed so the tire turns in one direction only, usually indicated by an arrow on the sidewall. Also, some tires may be designated for steer or drive axles only and cannot be switched to another axle. I doubt if either is true of your tires, but its something to be aware of when requesting a tire & wheel rotation.
I was surprised to find that my rig had 8 Alcoa wheels when I got new tires. As to whether all 8 were polished? After 8 years on the ground there was not much of any way to know.
The tire shop was right next to the old CC factory and they installed the SmarTire systems for CC so they had no problem with it.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 08:53 AM   #22

Made a decision, will let everyone know when I get home

So, I went to the shop. After a little convincing, the owner was willing to do whatever it would take to make me happy. To the naysayers out there, just because you leave a place doesn't mean they will never help you, but I would suggest that your approach, tone of voice, attitude and influence will make more of a difference in an outcome. I treated the owner with respect, and negotiated and even helped them with the following.

We removed a back wheel to see if even immediately there had been any damage. There was none, but there was significant unevenness to the steel wheel hub inside. I suggested we remove the inner wheel and sand down the connecting surface so the polish side would contact a smooth surface. He easily agreed and did so. The steel inner wheel was "polished" so the outer polished wheel would connect to a nice surface.

I figured that the most that could happen would be a little scuffing just on the small inner surface at this point. When I get home and have the wheel replaced, I will post with the results so others know if they come across my situation.

(BTW...tires up here are very expensive relative to the US and I live in a state with no sales tax, which adds up with a purchase like this.)
Old 08-12-2017, 10:15 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsgriffin View Post
So, I went to the shop. After a little convincing, the owner was willing to do whatever it would take to make me happy. To the naysayers out there, just because you leave a place doesn't mean they will never help you, but I would suggest that your approach, tone of voice, attitude and influence will make more of a difference in an outcome. I treated the owner with respect, and negotiated and even helped them with the following.

We removed a back wheel to see if even immediately there had been any damage. There was none, but there was significant unevenness to the steel wheel hub inside. I suggested we remove the inner wheel and sand down the connecting surface so the polish side would contact a smooth surface. He easily agreed and did so. The steel inner wheel was "polished" so the outer polished wheel would connect to a nice surface.

I figured that the most that could happen would be a little scuffing just on the small inner surface at this point. When I get home and have the wheel replaced, I will post with the results so others know if they come across my situation.

(BTW...tires up here are very expensive relative to the US and I live in a state with no sales tax, which adds up with a purchase like this.)

I did not say they would not help you, I said they would more than likely charge you some more money to fix a very obvious screw up on their part. If you see something you don't like or think is wrong and don't question it before you drive off, they must assume your satisfied so they are really under no obligation to fix it for free....that's business. It's good you were to negotiate a happy resolution.

WDK
Old 08-12-2017, 11:15 AM   #24
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"gsgriffin".....You did the right thing. I read through your initial post and knew exactly what you meant. Being a shiny wheel fanatic, I cringed as I read, thinking your rims would be pretty messed up by the time you got home. I think some just didn't comprehend what you were saying initially. No big deal.

Now to your situation. When you get a chance, just get the wheels back to their original position and deal with the problem tires. You were smart to get the odd wearing tire to a rear position, giving you a little better security (dual wheels) if it were to blow, versus being on the front. Even though you now have it on the rear, don't ignore it. When a tire is going down the road, the surface is in contact with the asphalt and wears appropriately. When you have one with unusual wear and the wearing edge is not making contact with the ground, it will scuff as it goes down the road. Scuffing wears a tire down twice as fast. So......that bad tire wear will continue, even though it's not in a dual position.

Five years on your tires is okay. I would buy two new front tires and get the coach aligned. I like taking the coach to the alignment shop after my new tires are installed. If you can, take a picture of the tire that wore badly and show it to the alignment guy. This way he'll know what he's working with.

It's often hard to spot alignment wear on these big tires until it's almost too late.

If you were to run into this situation again, try and find a used tire for the rest of the trip. Even one that's a little different in size is okay on the front end.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 11:28 AM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Great result, and as you said, attitude and approach can make all the difference in the world with the shop owner.

I kept shaking my head every time someone would post a reply addressing the directional aspect of the tires; totally irrelevant to your issue. Glad you got it resolved, and you will likely have very little "touch up" polishing to deal with at the end of your trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillandJane View Post
I did not say they would not help you, I said they would more than likely charge you some more money to fix a very obvious screw up on their part.
I don't see where they "screwed up". Other than possibly not pointing out the fact that the wheels were only polished on one side and rotating them would put the non-polished side out, they did exactly what was asked; rotated the tires from front to back. They did nothing wrong; and for them to go to the extra labor to pull the rear wheels and sand/polish the mating surface of the inside wheels shows the character of the place. Kudos to them.
4x4van is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 11:35 AM   #26

My owners manual does not recommend fore to aft rotation of the tires only side to side. Dual rear wheel drive vehicle - six
tire rotation
E161439
If your vehicle is equipped with
dual rear wheels it is
recommended that the front and
rear tires (in pairs) be rotated only
side to side. We do not
recommend splitting up the dual
rear wheels. Rotate them side to
side as a set. After tire rotation,
inflation pressures must be
adjusted for the tires new
positions in accordance with
vehicle requirements.
Sometimes irregular tire wear can
be corrected by rotating the tires.
This may not apply to your vehicle.
fpresto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 03:58 PM   #27

Tire vs wheel rotation

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4van View Post
Great result, and as you said, attitude and approach can make all the difference in the world with the shop owner.

I kept shaking my head every time someone would post a reply addressing the directional aspect of the tires; totally irrelevant to your issue. Glad you got it resolved, and you will likely have very little "touch up" polishing to deal with at the end of your trip.

I don't see where they "screwed up". Other than possibly not pointing out the fact that the wheels were only polished on one side and rotating them would put the non-polished side out, they did exactly what was asked; rotated the tires from front to back. They did nothing wrong; and for them to go to the extra labor to pull the rear wheels and sand/polish the mating surface of the inside wheels shows the character of the place. Kudos to them.

Perhaps they did do exactly what was asked but when they realized that the shiny side was no longer going to be showing, I would have wanted them to ask if that was what I wanted and certainly being as particular as I am about the looks of my coach as others see it, and more importantly me, I would have nicely asked them to fix that the moment I saw it.

One last thing.....the tire shop he went to are suppose to be the experts.....my father worked at Firestone for 30 years and most certainly he would have the knowledge to tell a customer your doing something wrong as his tires go no matter what they are on and not just do what the customer ask and that knowledge is part of what your paying for though if the customer insist that's what he is going to do.

WDK
Old 08-12-2017, 04:55 PM   #28
Commercial Member

Few different issues. First tire direction of rotation.
If the tire has an intended direction of rotation it should have words and arrows on the sidewalls. Many High Perf cars have this. The primary reason for this is to get a bit better traction with a directional design. There may be some directional RV tires but I have not seen any. I would not be concerned with changing the direction of rotation of RV tires.

Wheel polish. Obvious concern and it appears you have addressed this.

Safety issue Proper matching of dual tires. if changing tire position it is VERY important that you confirm with measurement that duals have similar OC (i.e. within 3/4" of each other). If they are more different than that there is a possibility to tire failure as the larger tire will have to carry more load.
I have a few posts on my blog specifically on this .