Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-28-2015, 07:57 PM   #1

Tire Weight Ratings

This is old hat for some of you but new to the rest of us. Anyway, we bought a 2006 Coachmen SE and it had 08 year michelin tires on it. So we got the dealer to put 6 new tires on at his cost.
The only 6 tires he could get, on a Saturday in Tucson, was Goodyear. So we said ok go ahead.

When we returned home to Oklahoma I got to wondering if the tires they put on had any warranty. So I started looking them up on the internet and found the weight ratings. Needless to say I forgot all about the weight ratings at the install time as we wanted to beat the snow getting home and didn't wait around.

Anyway I found out each new Goodyear can handle Single Load Max 5,510 #. My MH is rated at Gross Axle Weight Ratio (GAWR) LF 4220 and RF 4030 # so the front is ok.

The rear is GAWR LR 7720 and RR 6590# so my new Goodyears are rated at 5070 dual max load. So 5070 x 2 = 10140#. So I should be ok on the rear as well.

Am I doing this right? Why is the Single Load Max 5,510 and the rear 5,070? Seems with a dual setup the rear would hold more.

Thanks.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-28-2015, 08:08 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
They de-rate the tires in a dual setup because they run hotter than singles. Less airflow due to the adjacent tire. So those numbers look about right.

Old 03-01-2015, 08:34 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I'm confused about your use of GAWR when listing individual "corner" weights. A GAWR is the maximum allowable weight (rating) for the entire axle (front or rear), not the tires at just one end. You appear to have given the actual loaded weight, as shown on a scale, not the GAWR. Am I right about the numbers and just the acronym is wrong?

Your tire maximum load ratings are for the max inflation level, so they can carry that much weight only when inflated to the appropriate psi, which is stated along with the max load shown on the sidewall.

You want tires that are capable of handling the axle's max load (GAWR), in case you ever add more weight to the coach. Most everybody does, sooner or later. If the rear axle has a GAWR of 20,000 lbs, then each rear tire needs to be able to carry at least 5000 lbs, plus some safety margin. Yours does that, but with a small margin. However, your rear axle may be 17,000 lbs instead of 20,000.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 06:00 PM   #4

I put on my post what came off the spec paper for the motorhome. It shows the GAWR for each axle left side and right.
So Front Axle would be 8250 and I have 11020 and for the rear it would be 14310 and I have 20280.
Old 03-01-2015, 08:07 PM   #5

Each tire is rated for 5,510#, tires in dual configuration are slightly derated for safety reasons. The Goodyear load/inflation chart denotes a dual tire maximum load for corresponding air pressure with a "D".
Your rear corner weights are the total load on BOTH tires on that corner.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 07:00 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I put on my post what came off the spec paper for the motorhome. It shows the GAWR for each axle left side and right.
Whoever wrote that spec sheet needs some basic education in tire & axle terminology.

Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
weight