Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-15-2011, 07:56 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Tires do not blow out or have zipper damage unless the tires are damaged or aged out of underinflated. According to Goodyear there is NO known problems with the G670s and Michelin says there are NO known problems with any of their tires. Too many urban legends about tires. Stop and think how many RVers are out ther driving on these tires without problems. The only time you hear of a problem is when somebody posts they had a problem on a forum. Parking an RV for a long time is bad on a tire even if it is covered because it is not flexing and being heated up and allowing the oils and chemicals in the tire to flow so it dries out. If you are not inflating the tires to max what is wriiten on the sidewall when it is stored and parking the tire on the wrong will damage the tire and cause them to blow. Not to bust your bubble Chief but to have so many blowouts is a good indication that you are doing something wrong with how you are maintaining your tires. You should find out what it is so it doesn't happen again with the new tires.

Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-15-2011, 10:10 PM   #16

^^^
Good answer, I had 10 years in the tire bizz. With today's technology and research something else usually causes the tire to fail. Mostly lack of checking tire pressure, it's so bad that the Federal Gov makes auto manufactures put "low tire pressure" idiot lights in all new vehicles.

Old 08-15-2011, 10:19 PM   #17

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Canter View Post
If you are not inflating the tires to max what is wriiten on the sidewall when it is stored and parking the tire on the wrong will damage the tire and cause them to blow.
And not to burst your bubble but on truck type tires the inflation pressure on the sidewall is not the maximum pressure. It is the MINIMUM pressure required to support the maximum weight rating of the tire. This is in the Michelin, GoodYear and Toyo literature. When you get to car tires you are correct though.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 04:28 AM   #18

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Send a message via AIM to Shellback1

They didn't admit to a problem either.

Bridgestone/Firestone Tire Recall

Bridgestone/Firestone press statement issued on August 9, 2000.
Bridgestone/Firestone Announces Voluntary Recall of 3.85 million RADIAL ATX and RADIAL ATX II Tires, and 2.7 million Wilderness AT Tires
Company urges all drivers to maintain proper inflation in their tires.
Old 08-16-2011, 07:35 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Mr D o am only talking about during storage using the pressures on the side of tire as per tire company instructions and that is Max cold inflation pressure.
Old 08-16-2011, 09:56 AM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Shellback, I understand what you are saying but that was a whole different issue with that recall. If I remember correctly Ford had a rollover problem on some of their SUVs so they incorrectly came out with a quick fix by lowering the tire pressures. Ford assumed that drives keep their tires correctly inflated to the recommended cold pressures and didn't realize that people sometimes neglected their tire pressures or adjusted hot tire pressures or other wrong things. These low tire pressures overheated the tires and caused damage. So now you have a vehicle that didn't handle well to start with and now the tires were coming apart. Since the tires were possibly damaged due to these low pressures they had to recall them all. Most of these tires that were maintained at the original correct tire pressures did not fail. I do believe the tires could have been made better so that they didn't come apart as easy as they did.
I don't think that recall has anything to do with the Chiefs problem. Again there are no known problems with the Goodyear or Michelin tires and because somebody on a forum has a problem and writes about it doesn't make it a universal problem. You have to be real careful on what people say about tires because there are a lot of pass down stories. I am by no means an expert on tires but I have a good friend who is a retired RV Tire engineer from a well known tire company.
Old 08-16-2011, 01:07 PM   #21

Fleetwood Owners Club
In almost 40 years of RV ownership. I have only had 2 blow outs.
PSI always set by the 4 corner weight plus 5#.
Both were the 22.5" XRV Michelin zipper ones that Michelin denied, having a problem. Strange that many 100's of zipper blow outs were reported at that time 02-04.

After that period of time the reports of zipper blow outs fell way off.
Michelin never said or reported that they changed the manufacturing of that tire any. Did they? We will probably never know.

Now have 6 year old 22.5" G670's with no problems.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 02:01 PM   #22

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Send a message via AIM to Shellback1
Dear Mike, let me explain why I said what I did on the post of Chiefs.

First, as you could see I posted another thread where several people including myself had what we called a "Blowout", although actually in most cases it was not a blowout as we know. In the blowouts I have witnessed on my own and seeing 18 wheelers blow, the sound is like a 45 magnum going off and the tire rips to shreds. In my first case the left front going 65 mph on I-40 in Arkansas it sounded like a 22, also when the drivers read inner tire blew last years. The right front flat spun the tire on the rim but did no damage to the tire itself except for the little half dollar punch out and due to the slow deflation I had total control. If you look at the tread I posted and the pictures still left up you can see theses were caused by a bubble forming on the inner sidewall. In both my cases the tires did not rip apart, there was a patch of sidewall that opened up the size of a half dollar. Others have had the same.

Regarding Goodyear, I have always run them in all my cars and trucks, from the Corvette, to SUV's to cars and now my Dodge truck. So I am not stating that Goodyear has a problem because I don't like their tires.

I said they are aware of the problems, because I and others on this site and other sites have called or wrote them about our issues. Some have got new tires and or pro-rated for new ones. If you see the letter the Goodyear rep wrote to me, you will see why I am upset with them. Am I suppose to weld a bracket on my RV to carry bad tires when they blow so I can go to a Goodyear rep and possibly get a rebate?

I am not saying they admit to have problems with G670 or any other tire, but they are aware of the sidewall forming a bubble and eventually blowing out a patch. And no, they would not admit to a problem, that would cause them to recall.

I too am not a tire expert, but I have been driving since 1964 and have worked on F-4 as Structural Mechanic and Plane Captain, (yes I was an Airdale also) I was certified on tire changing mostly because of the split rims. I work in gas stations and garages where I changed and balanced tires.

Regarding my rig, I have had all 4 points weighed and have the correct pressure for my weight. I have a TMPS and often check the tire temps, although the TMPS pressure will show a higher temp by higher pressure.

Lastly I don't know anyone who is a tire expert.

I said my piece.
Old 08-16-2011, 11:01 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

According to the retired tire engineer bubbles in the sidewalls are caused by either hitting something in the road or the tire slamming into a pothole. It can happen a long time before the damage appears and maybe forgotten by the time it shows up. The impact separates the layers of rubber so that air gets between the layers. This is something that I check for on a regular basis with a flashlight under the MH.
Old 08-16-2011, 11:19 PM   #24

OK guys. We all have our favorites including tires. We all have our opinions. Yes there are lots of urban legends and misinformation about tires and anything else. I'm please to here others have not had problems with the G670. The G159 are probably good also. I'm not buying either one. I did not buy them the first time. They came on the RV. OK I guess I did buy them. My remaining G159, good or bad, are old just like me. They need replacing. I'm no tire expert so I need you guys to educate me on what is going right out there or what's going wrong out there. I have two Triangle tires that I bought and the only negative comments I've found on the web is they are Chinese and would roll better if they were round. So, I'm looking for good or bad about that tire. I'm interested in the Handkook because our local school system started using them and the mechanics tell be they outperformed the Goodyears. Could be an urban legend? Buses don't go 65MPH for hours on end. however, RVs do. So I'm looking for good or bad about that tire from the best group of people I know. RVers!!!!!!!!!

PS: I own three TT, a 1978 25 ft Prowler, a 1985 25 ft Taurus and a 1986 29 ft Wilderness. Never had a blowout on any of these trailers and they all have seen a lot of road in their day. Go figure.