Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-14-2011, 10:24 PM   #1

Tired of Blowouts

Had another Goodyear tire blowout. It's my third. First two were drive tire G670 (replaced first blowout with G670). When I blew the second one I replaced both with Triangle TR685 14 ply which have done great so far. Had a rear G159 blow this past week. Have not replaced that one. Used the first G670 as my spare. Size 245/70/19.5. Research shows me most American tires having problems. Bought the Triangles because I could not find any specific negative press. Thinking about the Hankooks. Looking for anyone that has or had the Triangle or Hankook tires on their Class A. Not interested in any tire that has had a history of recalls. I check tire pressure every trip (pressure 85PSI on Goodyears and 100PSI on Triangle) and use lasar probe to check temperature every stop. Goodyears run 135-142 degrees Triangles run 124-127 degrees. All blowouts occured on interstate outside temperature 85-90 degrees speed less than 65MPH. Weight of each wheel well below tire load limit. I do pull a Ford Taurus on a dolly. Lots off Great RVers out there that might know something I don't.
retiredchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-14-2011, 10:33 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Wow, that's a lot of tire problems. I've had one blowout in about 50 years of driving and it was a GoodYear on the '97 Jeep. But I do check tire pressures each day before we start out.
I have never had a problem with Michelins and that's all I run now. In fact, up until the time I picked up two screws at a venue on 60,000 miles used Michelins (on our '05 Ody) I've never even had a flat when on Michelins.
My parents had a special order '58 KenCraft TT, it was so overweight that even truck tires blew out. Finally got some house trailer 14 ply tires that lasted so long enough to trade it in on a Airstream Excella 500.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 11:07 PM   #3

Been running Bridgestones on our coach for past 8 years with zero problems, I highly recommend them.

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 01:55 AM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
How old are your tires and roughly, how many miles were on the ones that failed? Thanks.

Jack
Old 08-15-2011, 04:03 AM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Send a message via AIM to Shellback1
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredchief View Post
Had another Goodyear tire blowout. It's my third. First two were drive tire G670 (replaced first blowout with G670). When I blew the second one I replaced both with Triangle TR685 14 ply which have done great so far. Had a rear G159 blow this past week. Have not replaced that one. Used the first G670 as my spare. Size 245/70/19.5. Research shows me most American tires having problems. Bought the Triangles because I could not find any specific negative press. Thinking about the Hankooks. Looking for anyone that has or had the Triangle or Hankook tires on their Class A. Not interested in any tire that has had a history of recalls. I check tire pressure every trip (pressure 85PSI on Goodyears and 100PSI on Triangle) and use lasar probe to check temperature every stop. Goodyears run 135-142 degrees Triangles run 124-127 degrees. All blowouts occured on interstate outside temperature 85-90 degrees speed less than 65MPH. Weight of each wheel well below tire load limit. I do pull a Ford Taurus on a dolly. Lots off Great RVers out there that might know something I don't.
It's Goodyear, they know they have a problem. I had 2 blowouts in 2 years.
I just replaced all 6 Goodyear G670 19" with Michelin XZE's that are rated at 16 ply compared to the 12 ply that I had. I had 2 blowouts in the last 2 years with the goodyear and after seeing other inputs on this site, they have a known problem. Look at the pictures and thread. The Goodyear had dates of 06.

Goodyear tires - iRV2 Forums
2006 Damon Daybreak 3274 35' Ford F53 V-10
2006 Ion Retired Navy, FAA and PASS Union VP
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Shellback1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 05:33 AM   #6

Just put two Hankook's on the front. Had Michelins that according to the date code were 12 years old! I figured I better get them off before they blew. I don't drive enough miles a year for the mileage rating of tires to be an issue. The Hankook's were about 40% cheaper than Michelin's, we'll see how they work.
wendyjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 07:11 AM   #7

I have read a lot of good things about the Hankooks. I almost replaced my Michelin's with the Hankooks but went with Toyo truck tires instead.
Old 08-15-2011, 09:11 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Never had a blowout with my GY G670 295/80's. Ran them 50k miles. Just put Continentals on this time will see how they go.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 09:15 AM   #9
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Wow, that's a lot of tire problems.
I'd have to agree with that statement. Good luck with getting it resolved.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 09:53 AM   #10

THe G159 are now 7 years old with 37K miles. Probably time to replace the tires anyway. The first blowout occured two years ago at 28K the second last year at 34K. I cover the tires when the Rv is parked. Yes that's a lot of blowouts in my book. Good news about the Hankooks. I'm going to a local dealer today that carries them. He mounted and balanced my Triangles last year. He told me then that he had never had a Hankook returned as a blowout. Hope to hear from RVers about the the Triangles. I ordered my Triangle tires from easy-tire.com. Pretty good prices on all brands. Hope this local dealer can compete with the online store. I retired 2 years ago after 38 years in the military and hope to go west next year for a couple of months. Long hours on the interstate seem to contribute to the blowouts. I always carry a mounted spare and have gotten pretty good at changing tires. I also have two 25 foot TT that have never had tire problems. I used load range C truck tires on both of them. Hope the Class A motorhome tire problem gets better or I'll go back to the TT world.
retiredchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 10:41 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Had the famed Michelin Zipper blowout on one of rears last year. Of course it happens late friday afternoon with a monday holiday to follow.

So without being able to get the Michelins for a week, I let a Michelin dealer put on a set of 4 Ling Longs. Cheaper Chinese tires. Not my choice but the only way i could get on my way. I bought a 5th tire as a spare. So my plan is to replace one if it blows and then order my next set at home when time is not a problem.

I do not recommend the tires but their performance has surprised me. I watch them like a hawk.
TST 507 w/ 10 Sensors
greystroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 12:09 PM   #12

We put new Toyos on our rig when we bought it. It had the original OEM Goodyears from 2001. I was surprised they'd held together for over 9 years.

We went with Toyos because it's the top brand that Les Schwab sells and we've been Schwab customers for over 40 years. Our local guy managed to find me a set that were only 6 weeks from their manufacture date. Just over 3000 miles so far, no problems.
Old 08-15-2011, 12:44 PM   #13

National RV Owners Club
At the beginning of this summer I replaced all 6 of my 11 year old GY 670's with Hankook AH11's (245/70R-19.5). The GY's still looked good but I felt it was time to quit pushing my luck or wait for something bad to happen. I would of bought the same tires again if they weren't so much more $ than the Hankook tires. Haven't heard anything bad about the Hankook brand, seeing them used by some OEM for cars and my local heavy truck tire dealer recommended them if $ was an issue. I have about 2000 miles on them so far.
Old 08-15-2011, 12:58 PM   #14

Have you ever weighed your rig? Tire pressure is suppose to be based on weight not whats on the sidewall.
ksg5000 is offline   Reply With Quote