Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-28-2015, 05:11 PM   #15

front tv

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaboy473 View Post
I'm no electronic genius, so please tell how you routed the cable?
Don't have a Newmar, but in my Islander, took the coax cable, hdmi cable, went under the plastic post shield, down to the floor, drilled hole in front firewall, went above the suspension, into the bays, came up behind the removable panel behind the toilet, put a box in to take both cables.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-28-2015, 05:43 PM   #16
Community Moderator

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Well I have done the same thing in our coach. I knew if I tried a solution my DW would have complained also. So I asked for her help and showed her what my problem was. She used the smooth side of some adhesive Velcro and covered the lower right corner of the TV with it. The TV was black and the Velcro was black so it blended in well. It must have helped and I must have learned my lesson well because I don't have any goose eggs on my head any more. Share your solution with us as we all learn from each other.

Don

Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 06:43 PM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Believe me I feel your pain. My floor plan came with Theatre Seating on the drivers side of the salon and a 26" LCD TV above the dinette on the passenger side (where your J lounge sofa is at). But its also still had the big 26" CRT in the cab. Why I don't know. I pulled out the cab TV and the cabinet and had a cabinet shop build a replacement that fit right in the same hole. We used some of the materials from the old TV cabinet to make it match. At the same time I pulled out the 26" Olevia LCD TV and the molding around it and found a 40" VIZIO that fit in the same hole (above where your J lounge sofa is at). If you look through my posts you will find pictures of all of the upgrades I've done in the last 2 years. One of the things you could consider is modifying the cabinet above the J sofa for a 40" led TV and using a wireless system for your satellite and DVD systems. That would be the easiest way around the problem. Just pulling out the TV won't do you any favors. The cabinet still sticks out too far and you haven't solved the problem. You would have to redo the whole entertainment system cabinet which includes the info center and switches in the cabinet above the door and that's a tall order because neither cabinet on either side is square on the ends because of the shape of the TV. Yes it's poor design on Newmar's part but it can be rectified. Good luck and if you need anymore info I'll be happy to help.

Craig & Carolyn Roberts Apple Valley, CA
2006 Newmar 3910 KSDP 400 ISL Cummins Spartan Mountian Master Chassis
Toad: 2017 GMC Canyon 4X4 Crewcab
DD788Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 10:06 PM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
These are pictures of the TV in my salon and the cabinets after I took out the CRT and the big cabinet it was in and replaced it with the a cabinet that I had built.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CRAIGS - WIN_20150728_194226.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	129.6 KB
ID:	101446   Click image for larger version

Name:	CRAIGS - WIN_20150728_194201.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	190.1 KB
ID:	101447  

Old 07-28-2015, 10:15 PM   #19

Relocated to the side so it is now in front of you. No more twisted neck.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	297.6 KB
ID:	101451  
Old 07-28-2015, 10:19 PM   #20

Fleetwood Owners Club
Buy a new motorhome.

Peacekeeper6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 10:24 PM   #21

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We have a 36" flat screen up front and I still hit my head on the cabinet. Still less than in the Dutch Star though. but it hurts none the less.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 02:13 PM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis45 View Post
Relocated to the side so it is now in front of you. No more twisted neck.
But you still have the cabinet to bang your head on. I know it's nice to have the storage but the head banger is still there.

Old 07-29-2015, 04:31 PM   #23
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DD788Snipe View Post
But you still have the cabinet to bang your head on. I know it's nice to have the storage but the head banger is still there.

Yeah, I was wondering about that! It's the cabinet that's doing the damage, not the TV!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 06:32 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
Yeah, I was wondering about that! It's the cabinet that's doing the damage, not the TV!

Maybe my head is smaller, never was an issue that way just the fact I would get a kink in my neck watching TV was my only issue. Dumb place for a TV when the seats are looking to the side???
Old 07-30-2015, 07:29 AM   #25

Quote:
Maybe my head is smaller, never was an issue that way just the fact I would get a kink in my neck watching TV was my only issue. Dumb place for a TV when the seats are looking to the side???
Two things, one, when I removed the TV, I also cut back the cabinet, so no longer in the way. 2nd item as to above, with the old CRT TV's there really were very few locations that would have worked with them being as deep as they were! Flat screens open up a plethora of possibilities. There, that's my big word of the day!
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 09:54 AM   #26
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:

I agree! So your problem was a neck-twisting, not a head-banging one!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 11:37 AM   #27

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Tired of busted, bloody head.

My first thought when reading this was "OMG, Pavlov was WRONG!!!" This guy has whacked his head three times and still hasn't learned to lean left while entering the coach!

Then I checked out some pics of that model, and I can see that that TV really sticks out there! And sharp corners! First thing I'd do is round those corners off-- I mean grind 'em right down so there's nothing sharp at all. The face frame is probably solid wood, do you've got plenty of material there to work with.

In the long run, you want to re-do the cabinet. That's my plan. I have a big TV cab, though it doesn't stick out into the passage like yours does.

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1438273996.471536.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	87.4 KB
ID:	101584

I will use a tilt mount so the bottom of the TV folds back, and with doors closed the cabinet height and depth will be uniform across the coach. We like the TV in front since we have no side facing sofa or seats, just a pair of big, comfy La-Z-Boys facing pretty much forward.

John & Diane, fulltiming since '12
'02 DS 40, FL, 3126, '04 Element

JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote