Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-27-2015, 08:15 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
Tired of busted, bloody head.

Yep, I am a big clutts, 6-2. 240 lbs. three times now I have banged my head, and brought blood, on the lower right corner of the HDTV in the front by the steps.

I see swim noodles on the corners of the slide outs......good idea. Any good ideas for the corner of the TV?

P.S. Better if it is aesthetically pleasing to the eye......DW won't like something ugly.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-27-2015, 08:23 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGBPokes View Post
Yep, I am a big clutts, 6-2. 240 lbs. three times now I have banged my head, and brought blood, on the lower right corner of the HDTV in the front by the steps.

I see swim noodles on the corners of the slide outs......good idea. Any good ideas for the corner of the TV?

P.S. Better if it is aesthetically pleasing to the eye......DW won't like something ugly.
Since it's in the way, I'm assuming that it is one of the old large TV's? Then I see you have a 2007, which SHOULD have had a flat screen . . . but anyway, if you have the old style LARGE Cathode ray tube TV, remove it, replace it with a flat screen and cut down the cabinet that used to hold the TV. Use it for storage, with a swing mount TV. Several people here on the forum have done it. We did it to our 2001 Dutch Star, but we relocated it to across from the couch as I got tired of bumping my head as well, and we BOTH got tired of getting kinks in our necks sitting to watch the TV!
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 12:19 AM   #3

Am familiar with your situation since we have a similiar TV set up. I keep a small, silly, bright pink light-up "critter" hanging there. With the slightest touch, the thing lights up and blinks for about 20 seconds or so. It actually works....and I think I paid a dollar for it at a Dollar store somewhere.

My problem is more the edges and corners of the slides. Those things are murder to my head several times a year. Recently, I spotted a Class A DP in an RV park where the owner had installed lengths of those round, slotted foam insulation "things" that are often put on pipes to, I guess, prevent freezing or hold in heat. He had installed these things all along the bottom horizontal edges of each slide and 2 or 3 feet up the vertical side edges as well. He even "angled" the intersecting corners as well for a very nice fit. He used black ones, and they really looked great. Very nicely done. I intended to discuss this with him the following day....but he was gone at sun-up. Obviously he removed and stored the things for transit.

I have seen these things at Home Depot. They come in various diameters and lengths and are very reasonably priced. Haven't installed any yet, however, since we are selling the coach in favor of different adventures. But if we were to keep the coach, I would sure do the same as he did. Great idea!

I mention this for something to consider re your TV. I think you could craft something as described above that would work very well and look nice in the process. Just a thought....maybe it will give you an idea or two.
Old 07-28-2015, 12:21 AM   #4

You can buy pre formed foam corner protectors in the child/ infant area of Walmart. Just peel and stick. I think they were designed for coffee table corners to prevent injury to toddlers.
falconman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 05:14 AM   #5

With regarding slide edges, after the first time I cut my head on a corner, I went the pipe insulation route. After the 2nd time I cut my head, I now put the pipe installation on as soon as the slides are put out.......

Make sure you get the pipe insulation that does not have the adhesive, and that you just have to pull apart to open up to use along the strait edges.

As for the corner pieces, they are unfortunately cut on the outside instead of the inside. So you have to slit the inside and then put the adhesive outside edges together. I ended up using gorilla glue to better hold the outside on a couple of them. The dark gray looks a bit better then the swim noodle solution.......

They do collect water, but simple enough to drain them after a rain.
Betr2Trvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 05:43 AM   #6

Front TV

I looked up that Newmar 3912, what a poor design, I would rip out the tv pleanty quick and redo the cabinets. I don't have a Newmar but I removed my tv from the front and it now is in the middle of the motorhome.
Old 07-28-2015, 05:54 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retiredblade View Post
I looked up that Newmar 3912, what a poor design, I would rip out the tv pleanty quick and redo the cabinets. I don't have a Newmar but I removed my tv from the front and it now is in the middle of the motorhome.
I'm no electronic genius, so please tell how you routed the cable?
Old 07-28-2015, 06:00 AM   #8
YC1

The pipe insulation installation was assigned to my grandaughter when she traveled with us. I went inside and gave her a big hug and kiss. She looked at me and asked what that was for. I said it was for the sore head I did not have because she did her job.

Traveling so much made installing the insulation a pain. Using some contact glue on the surface where it would not be seen held the insulation in place and the slides closed just fine. I finally decided to take a razor blade and trim along the part that rounded up the outside edge. This leaves the nice padding under the edge and looks much better.

There are heavy duty rubber pieces for the corners of the slides available that look great and have saved me more times than I can remember.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 06:20 AM   #9

Freightliner Owners Club
How about a very nice hard hat? :-)
Texas SteveH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 06:51 AM   #10

I wear a hat most of the time I am in the rig for the same reason. It has saved my head countless times.
Old 07-28-2015, 06:52 AM   #11

Oh man when we first hit the road I was always running my noggin into something. I don't have as much hair as I used too, so I had scabs all over it seemed. It got to the point that my better half was going to buy and insist I wear a bicycle helmet anytime I was outside. As far as the head banger tv, that's been moved to the curbside, just below the window in a cabinet with a tv lift. I did finally realize that I needed to wise up and quit slamming my head into the slide corners. It's been nice being scab free.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 08:15 AM   #12
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I had the same problem! This is what I did to solve it!

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/the-...ne-136185.html
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 01:14 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

For the slide, we also use the pipe insulation black foam "things" on our bedroom slide. Works great, and we have only closed the slide with them on about 4 times. Oops.

I think those child-guard corner things would work well on the interior.
Old 07-28-2015, 02:46 PM   #14

Yep, those slides and TV's are a real head banger. Last year, I was dumping the tanks and and standing away from the coach with a wide brim hat on. I bent forward and walked toward the coach right into the edge of the slide out. I hit it so hard that it knocked me to the ground where I sat till I could move again. All the while, my wife was 15' away talking to a couple of friends and no one saw it happen. I cut my head, but the hat which prevented me from seeing the slide saved me from needing stitches. Now, I move around the MH on guard expecting it to reach out and grab or hit me when I least expect it.
I used to bump into the TV too, but took care of that problem when we ordered our current coach, by eliminating it.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote