Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-20-2019, 10:39 AM   #1

Tired of conjecture and opinions...Pun intended

Each time I read a thread on RV tires, I am astounding by the number of unsubstantiated opinions that are proffered. Without regurgitating the obvious, perhaps facts and statistics would be more useful than myriad statements of which brand is best or worst, how many years is "safe" and other factors.

What I would prefer to see are statements of fact, the most useful being, which brands have the highest rate of failure per 100 million miles travelled. Highway fatalities are measured in that manner and the rate for 2017 was 1.16 fatalities for every 100 million miles, a remarkably low number.

The rather odd consensus by some it that a properly maintained, inflated, inspected and loaded tire simply suffers an explosive decompression without any warning, a rather frightening specter for any Class A driver. Then the discussion turns to tire age, brand, etc and the options become exponential If one reads the attached article, very little if any correlation can be made between age and failure, despite the hyperbole regarding tire age. Some say replace at 5 years, but the industry consensus is to begin close inspection at 5 and discard at 10. Why some believe they know better than the manufacturer is curious, but I tend to trust those that engineered and manufactured the tires over general public conjecture.

The aforementioned notwithstanding, can anyone provide actuarial statistics on which brands suffer the most failures, the specifics of the failure(s), the age of the tires at the time, any correlation of tire age to failure, and the incidence of failure per 100 million miles accrued.

Provided with those facts, we can then make informed decisions as to the relative risk of catastrophic failure of any give tire of any given age, rather than the paranoia that can be evoked by horror stories and the catastrophists

Ergo, anyone possessing statics is urged to please share for the edification of all of us that are tempted to assume we are operating 30K lb+ vehicles on 6 to 8 ticking time bombs.https://www.moderntiredealer.com/art...-on-tire-aging
reosw is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-20-2019, 10:48 AM   #2

So, what brand tire should I buy?

I'm with you. The same goes for Norcold refrigerator fires, from reading forum posts you'd think they were burning up in campgrounds daily all over the country, but I've never seen a single statistic.
BCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 11:34 AM   #3
doc

Appalachian Campers
Having had numerous years of reading opinions and real world situations, i.e., a couple of flat tires on my wheel barrow and an old bicycle, it my considered conclusion (after having checked the innards of a freshly killed chicken) that stuff happens.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 11:42 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by reosw View Post
Each time I read a thread on RV tires, I am astounding by the number of unsubstantiated opinions that are proffered. Without regurgitating the obvious, perhaps facts and statistics would be more useful than myriad statements of which brand is best or worst, how many years is "safe" and other factors.

What I would prefer to see are statements of fact, the most useful being, which brands have the highest rate of failure per 100 million miles travelled. Highway fatalities are measured in that manner and the rate for 2017 was 1.16 fatalities for every 100 million miles, a remarkably low number.

The rather odd consensus by some it that a properly maintained, inflated, inspected and loaded tire simply suffers an explosive decompression without any warning, a rather frightening specter for any Class A driver. Then the discussion turns to tire age, brand, etc and the options become exponential If one reads the attached article, very little if any correlation can be made between age and failure, despite the hyperbole regarding tire age. Some say replace at 5 years, but the industry consensus is to begin close inspection at 5 and discard at 10. Why some believe they know better than the manufacturer is curious, but I tend to trust those that engineered and manufactured the tires over general public conjecture.

The aforementioned notwithstanding, can anyone provide actuarial statistics on which brands suffer the most failures, the specifics of the failure(s), the age of the tires at the time, any correlation of tire age to failure, and the incidence of failure per 100 million miles accrued.

Provided with those facts, we can then make informed decisions as to the relative risk of catastrophic failure of any give tire of any given age, rather than the paranoia that can be evoked by horror stories and the catastrophists

Ergo, anyone possessing statics is urged to please share for the edification of all of us that are tempted to assume we are operating 30K lb+ vehicles on 6 to 8 ticking time bombs.https://www.moderntiredealer.com/art...-on-tire-aging
Welcome to the Internet where mis-information is plentiful everywhere, especially in forums.

Wanna talk about "RV" 50 amp service?
aether_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 11:48 AM   #5

Because of the very low volume of RV tires on the road and the very few miles driven when compared to commercial vehicles, I doubt there are any studies to produce the type of statistics you are looking for. Too many variables to zero in on which tire will give the best service with the fewest failures. Then we have so many "experts" on this forum that makes it even more difficult to come to any factual conclusions. A forum such as this is just a place for people to air their opinions to questions asked by other members. Sometimes I think some tire questions are asked just to become a part of a discussion with other like minded people. How else could a simple tire pressure question go on for several pages of opinions. It's a good source for the newbie who has very little knowledge of the RV, but not necessarily the place to go for a statistically accurate response based on controlled research.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 11:52 AM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I'm glad that Tireman has joined the forums and brought some real world info to the forum. I always posted what the manufacturers said in their written documentation but got dozens of unverified rebuttals from others so I pretty much quit posting to the tire threads.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 12:04 PM   #7

Who is this "Tireman" of whom you speak ? As far as not posting, I concur....tantamount to religion and politics, both subjects that garner much drama, loyalty and hyperbole, all flush with subjectivity as opposed to objectivity.
reosw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 01:03 PM   #8

Roger's (tireman9) website:

RV Tire Safety

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 02:17 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by reosw View Post

The known answers are already in your post.

You can not compare properly inflated tire failures to improperly inflated tire failures.

You can not compare tires driven in summer AZ, TX, FL, etc to tires used in cooler weather

You can not compare tires stored indoors or otherwise protected from UV to tires exposed to UV 24/7.

Failures will occur depending on how difficult the environment they are exposed to. They DO NOT age out at X years.

The engineers at the tire companies estimate 5 to 10 years of use. I believe they are the most knowledgeable estimations available and you just have to accept a LOT of variation as we all use them differently in different locations.
dandandan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 03:14 PM   #10

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
I'm glad that Tireman has joined the forums and brought some real world info to the forum. I always posted what the manufacturers said in their written documentation but got dozens of unverified rebuttals from others so I pretty much quit posting to the tire threads.
I agree. Post anything on tires, brand or pressure on this site and you'll get flamed. Like it's some big p*ssing contest

Sadly there's many threads here where I could post and possibly help someone, but most times I pass. It ain't worth it.

I'm on a few other forums and this one is the worst for getting bad advice beat into the ground.
mackwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 03:29 PM   #11

Quote:
What I would prefer to see are statements of fact, the most useful being, which brands have the highest rate of failure per 100 million miles travelled.

Hey, reo, sounds like you want to take all the fun out of interweb discussion sites!
joraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 03:35 PM   #12

What gets me is that most people on this any other forums have been driving vehicles anywhere from 30-60 years, inflating tires usually based on the sticker on the frame from the manufacturer and think nothing of it. Now when they get a motorhome they magically don’t have a clue ( probably brain washed from reading all these posts ) and ask what tire pressure should I use, when there is a sticker inside motorhome, just as in cars, that tell you what to use.

However, having read all the opinions and the I’ve always done it this way and never had a problem statements, and participated in many of the million tire threads, and reading the materials produced by the tire manufacturers, motorhome manufacturers, it it easy to see how novices get confused.

Like each of my three wives have told me, first read the directions on the wall.

2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
2021 Jeep Gladiator Sport Willys
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 04:32 PM   #13

National RV Owners Club
So, is it safe to drive on any tires if there is a instapot on board and the refrigerator running on propane, without a gps to follow and the cat not tied down?
Asking for a friend.
BOOZE TRAVEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 04:34 PM   #14

I listen to who I perceive to be an expert on tires. That would be Tireman9. Find someone like that.
Sandy Swede is offline   Reply With Quote