Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 07-31-2016, 07:07 PM   #1
tired of expensive CRAP service

We now own the rev for over a year. LOVE IT.

Ive used two local RV shops and thought the second one (per referral) was great as they work well with my warrantee co and am now finding the work is lousy.

The Norcold 4 door got a new cooling unit and doors and while getting ready for a trip this week I find the trim at the bottom broken and a wood panel left of heater intake pushed in an inch on one side.

The window they un fogged whistles and they left metal filings on my shift console. Complained and got " you should caulk it" WTH?

They were paid 250.00 to fix the leaking tank flusher and it still leaks.

This next story has me UNHINGED !

Last summer bfr our cross country trip I asked for it to be gone over and get it ready.

Had front tire, issues on the trip with crap Goodyears and put 2 Toyo tires on the front at a very popular big truck tire shop when we got home.

I decided to check tire pressures today due to not being in an RV shop for a 6 months and I have 93 both fronts (120 required ) left rear outer 107 inner 30!!!!!
Right rear outer 110 inner 35!!!! (95 required) What the hell?

In the meantime I used a big rig shop a mile from the house for an oil change and a diagnostic on the lack of power. They did a great job and then they worked on my f350 V-10. Taking it there tomorrow to have them fill the tires for me.

Was planning to give the tire shop my $ for the 4 rears before our next big trip but now I'm not so sure.

AlanTbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-31-2016, 07:16 PM   #2
I'm just going to say there's a good reason why many of us do what we can on our own.

I don't have the patience to show a shop what kind of half a$$ job they just did on my MH any more. Even if they say they'll "take care of it" I wouldn't trust them for a second chance.

That said, I do have a small shop that does nothing but chassis work on big trucks (including tires) that I use. They're hardly cheap, but anything they do is done right the first time.

1997 37' HR Endeavor, 275hp Cat, Freightliner
03 CR-V Blue Ox, Ready Brake
ahicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 07:16 PM   #3
I got lost somewhere about the unhinged part, and the timing of events, so if I missed a part, don't shoot at me, but do you have valve extenders on your inner duals? If so they could have been inflated properly 6 mos ago but many of those don't hold air like you might assume they should.
GySgt USMC (Ret) '79~'99
2005 National RV Dolphin Limited
(w/lots of goodies)
Civdiv99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 07:21 PM   #4
Winnebago Owners Club
Generally you will have to tell the guys at the tire shop what you want the tires inflated to. It would be a courtesy thing for them to install front tires and check the inflation on the rear. They will do it if you request it but again you have to tell them the pressure you want.

You would think they would at least ask what pressure you are running. Have you determined the pressure after weighing or are you simply running the min pressure for the max weight on the tires?
Gordon and Janet
Tour 42QD/inTech Stacker
Gordon Dewald is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 07:27 PM   #5
Never leave a tire shop without personally checking air pressures in every tire. Never leave home without personally checking air pressure in every tire.

especially if you have valve extenders
gatorb8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 07:40 PM   #6
If you did not check the tire pressures in the last 6 months, I would say part of this is on you.

Especially after having tire work done or pressure checks. That is when the valve cores might start leaking a bit so a secondary check a few weeks later, then every couple of months, would be in order. Especially if it might make an RV'er come unhinged!

Perhaps a TPMS for peace of mind?

'97 Country Coach Intrigue
BRex45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 07:57 PM   #7
My 2006 Revolution only needs 90 pounds for my front axle weight. I run 95 pounds up front, 100 in rear, Goodyear 670's. I had to change both inside extensions to stop leaking over time. not sure of your tire size, or weights but I would guess 120 is on the high side. Guess what I'm saying is with other things to worry about, I wouldn't worry much about 93 pounds in front tires.
I do think you should look up your tires and weigh your coach though, then you know for sure.
will stevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 11:35 PM   #8
Alan, I used to own and operate an 18 wheeler and was contracted to FedEx Ground. FedEx loads run really, Really lite. (as in only 18,000-20,000 lbs on a double drive setup which has 8 tires and can handle 34,000 lbs) Which meant that if I inflated my tires to the recommended (by Kenworth) tire pressures. My truck rode like the axles were bolted to the frame. I called customer service of the tire manufacturer and told them what the normal working load was for my truck. As a result Michelin recommended that I decrease the tires from 110PSI to 60PSI. The truck rode so much better.
Car lovers drive BMW's, Psychopaths drive super sevens, I drive a super seven
Democratic dissent is not disloyalty, It's a positive civic duty
1998 36' Foretravel U320LE #5314
super7pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 12:27 AM   #9
Before using a shop check 'reviews'

After using a shop.....post a review GOOD or BAD

RV Service Reviews
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 12:55 AM   #10
I too am curious what kind of weight you're running on the front axle to require 120psi. My Yokohama's call for 95psi front and 85psi rear based on the axle weights of my coach. As for the rear tire pressures, it's hard to be mad at anyone when it takes you six months to check the pressure. A tire pressure check is a "pre-flight" must. I use a wireless TPMS system to make things easier.

Beyond that I would agree that you should leave a review for the first shop. Telling you to caulk up a window that they supposedly fixed seems absurd to me. If nothing else it's just poor form.
Scatterbrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 08:22 AM   #11
I'm going with what the label says near the drivers seat. They could not have been right from the beginning. Another lesson learned. The RV shop was a referal from this site and has great reviews!

Like I said , no trips for a while and is why I checked. Will be looking into a monitor system.

Any recommendations?
AlanTbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 09:36 AM   #12
Monaco Owners Club
Originally Posted by AlanTbird View Post
I'm going with what the label says near the drivers seat. They could not have been right from the beginning. Another lesson learned. The RV shop was a referal from this site and has great reviews!

Like I said , no trips for a while and is why I checked. Will be looking into a monitor system.

Any recommendations?
I would not rely on the label by the drivers seat. You need to weigh your coach (prefer each individual corner) and then go with the tire manufactures recommendation on pressures.

As far as pressure monitors, there are several out there. Pressure Pro is one. I personally have TST. Had it for years with zero issues.
bill h
06 Windsor PRQ, ISL
2014 Honda CRV
windsorbill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 10:07 AM   #13
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If you don't check your tire pressure regularly, you are asking for trouble. Take the advice here - weigh the coach and get the axle weights and adjust your pressure in accordance with the manufacturers recommendation for the load you are carrying. Under inflation will lead to a blow out with significant damage. Over inflation - a harsh ride. Unlike an automobile, you are driving a very large vehicle. My advice is don't trust anyone to properly inflate your tires - do your homework and do it yourself regularly. Keep in mind the pressure on the label in the coach is for maximum load - your ride will be better if your load is below the max and your tire pressures are reduced accordingly.
You will also find that it is not that difficult to service many things on your coach yourself. This forum and the internet are your new best friends. It is more cost effective for most things and you will know it has been done properly by the guy in the mirror. You will also not be frustrated by poor service. Good luck

09 Journey 39Z
Southern Ontario
bobmac is offline   Reply With Quote