Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-01-2012, 02:26 AM   #1

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Tires

Hey everyone, I inherited a 1990 Class A 34' Motor home several months ago and I have been fixing it up in my spare time during the winter (with the help of so many from IRV2!). I am at the point where I am ready to replace the tires (one of the last things to do!!). The tires are very old and cracked and have been sitting for over 15yrs. However, my MH has 1 front spare tire that has been stored away in the basement compartment. It looks like it has never been used, no cracks, not exposed to the sun, no weight on it, full tread but just old. Should I replace the spare tire too or is it good to go?
Tyler6357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-01-2012, 03:33 AM   #2

If it was min i will replaced for sure imagine three,four more years without using it ?
Iwoyld not take any chances
Andrew
Andrew from Québec Ca NKK#16343
2004 Kountry Star 3904 Cummins 330 ISC towing a Jeep Cherooke Trail Hawk 2016,Blue Ox.and Buddy Brake ,TMS,
AndrewC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 04:19 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If it were me I would replace the spare tire as well but after carrying a spare in our previous coach for four years and never needing it I would opt out of even having it anymore. Purchasing 6 tires this day and age is bad enough and chances are the new tire will sit in that compartment another 6-7 years. You pickup a bit more storage room as a benefit as well. JMHO
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 09:49 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Tyler6357,
If the date code on the spare tire is 10 years or older, consider replacing the tire. If you would like to gain back some of the storage space the tire uses, consider carrying just the tire, unmounted. One can store items where the wheel would have been. Emergency road service can mount a tire, on the wheel rim, very easily.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 10:13 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
Hi Tyler6357,
If the date code on the spare tire is 10 years or older, consider replacing the tire. If you would like to gain back some of the storage space the tire uses, consider carrying just the tire, unmounted. One can store items where the wheel would have been. Emergency road service can mount a tire, on the wheel rim, very easily.
Gary! Good post. You might also want to include the weight saving advantage as well.

If one considers the total number of expired spare tires on RVs, that would certainly be a pretty big number. I had a spare tire back in the day and the vehicle that responded to my flat tire call did not have big enough tools to remove the wheel. I had to wait another 90 minutes until they could find a bigger truck.

One could always make the argument for "I would rather have a spare than not", but in reality at 95K+ miles and 9 years of age, I have not been stuck on the road due to a flat.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 10:18 AM   #6

I am Looking for Tires too, any advice
dinkie0720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 10:33 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by dinkie0720 View Post
I am Looking for Tires too, any advice
I prefer domestically made tires especially those made in South Carolina.

We are also getting a brand new from the ground up, Continental tire plant and more jobs.
Old 04-01-2012, 11:44 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Hi dinkie0720,
If you are an FMCA member, consider going to their website and read about the FMCA Michelin Advantage Tire Program. I'm partial to Michelin tires. I've been using them since 1965 (cars) and 1978 (coaches). Only had 2 problems and Michelin corrected them quickly and to my satisfaction.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 12:11 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryKD View Post
I'm partial to Michelin tires. I've been using them since 1965 (cars) and 1978 (coaches). Only had 2 problems and Michelin corrected them quickly and to my satisfaction.
I'm a BIG fan too! I owe them as much for putting a lot of holes in rubber trees when I was a younger man!

Tags
tires