Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-23-2013, 12:40 PM   #1

Send a message via Yahoo to rwdrummer
tires

I bought Firestone 560's 22.5 on the front. Still have older Bridgestone's on the back. I have a 36ft Monaco Dynasty and it seems to wander a bit with new tires on front. Any one used these?
rwdrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-23-2013, 02:02 PM   #2

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I don't think the wandering has anything to do with the tires.

Been there. Done that.

You may find this thread very interesting.

Wandering, sway bars, alignment, ride height, oh my!!
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 04:17 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Hi rwdrummer,
If the coach did not wander before the new tires and it wanders now, it kind of narrows down the problem. With the current tires, all I can suggest is to ensure the PSI is correct based on the weight being carried and the tires are correctly balanced. On front tires, this is really important. I've had front tires wander and swapped them out for the same tire (brand & model). The next set of tires did not wander. Ya just never know.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 08:21 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

The first thing to do is to make sure the tire inflation is correct for the load. A tire that is too hard or soft is likely to having steering difficulties. And if you haven't had an alignment recently, that would be smart too.

But sometimes a new tire with different tread will handle differently. It may be just a different feel, or it may be that it needs to "wear in" a bit to track smootly. I've never experienced that myself, but I've seen it reported by a few others.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 11:16 AM   #5

Commercial Member

Not 100% sure what you mean by "wander". New tires with deeper tread will not be as responsive to steering input as a well worn tire. Doesn't make any difference which brand we are talking about either. Now I think the F560 with 18 or 19/32" deep tread ( you didn't provide your actual size) is a reasonable selection I don't know which Bridgestone you are replacing.
You also didn't provide either the actual load or inflation so I would have to guess there also.
Increasing inflation might make the steering more responsive too but again without more details I would be guessing.
Old 02-28-2013, 08:02 AM   #6

Maybe they do need to wear in a bit. I will get a front alignment also and forget about people bad mouthing Firestone. It seems if you don't have Goodyear or Mich's on your rig your not cool. The only difference the guy said at tire shop was they won't go 200k miles and I won't keep this coach but a couple more years anyway.
Old 02-28-2013, 02:32 PM   #7

I have FS560's all the way around on our MH. I went with them for several reason, the main one being the tread pattern. Roads here in AK are not the best. This will be the second year on them and so far no issues.
Besides I got them at a very good price!
R2Home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 07:36 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by R2Home View Post
I have FS560's all the way around on our MH. I went with them for several reason, the main one being the tread pattern. Roads here in AK are not the best. This will be the second year on them and so far no issues.
Besides I got them at a very good price!
Yea, I have two FS560's on the front and will get 4 more for rear soon before hot weather. They have a different tread pattern than the BStone's for sure and $100 less. An alignment hopefully will help. Thanks for the input, greatly appreciated!

Tags
tires