Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 04-04-2015, 03:10 PM   #1

I own a 2008 Monaco Cayman XL. Time for some new Tires. The tires were manufactured in April of 2007, with 18,400 miles on them. Have great tread left, just concerned about the age. Currently have Firestones 255/70RX22.5. Does anyone have any experience with Dunlop tires on there RV. After checking around I see mostly Good year and Michelin. The Dunlop's are reasonably priced. Any advice????

Thanks, Rich

rich2008r is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-04-2015, 03:24 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

Good luck with your choice.

John & Cathy R.
06 Pace Arrow 38L W24
08 Lincoln MKX AWD
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 03:36 PM   #3
Appears Dunlop is owned by Goodyear.
I do not see that size tire listed on their website for RV usage.

Dunlop Truck - Commercial Truck Tire Solutions and Information
2010 Allegro RED 36 QSA
GMC Envoy 4x4
SW Michigan to Alaska in 2015
okgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 08:31 PM   #4
Are you familiar with the failed trailing arms on the RR4R Caymans? Source Engineering Inc | Custom RV Chassis | Eugene, OR
It is important you get a four corner weighing as a number of RR4R configurations seem to weigh lots more on the passenger rear than driver rear side. Absent the 4 corner info, dividing the rear axle weight by four might leave your heavy passenger rear dangerously under inflated.
Since all tires on same axle need same psi, and our passenger rear weighed a ton more, our oem 255's were at max psi and weight rating (at least on the passenger rear) This caused the 255's to ride about like solid rubber tires, despite having Source's ride enhancement kit installed. So we went up two sizes to 295/75 Bridgestones that would allow more weight at less psi. It worked out very well. Pvt message me if you have any questions.
Frank W. '09 Cayman 38 SBD '08 CRV
Lake City, Florida
flynnwalter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 09:12 PM   #5
Monaco Owners Club
We put Dunlop tires on our coach in 2009 at the recommendation of our local Goodyear tire dealer. They have been very good tires for us.

Last year, due to a road incident in CA, we found ourselves purchasing new steer tires. The dealer had Bridgestone and Michelin. We chose Bridgestone R280 tires for our new steer tires. The 5 year old Dunlop tires that came off looked every bit as good as the new Bridgestone tires that went on. We're just as happy with the Bridgestone as steer tires.

Our rear tires are still the Dunlops that we installed in 2009. They still look like new.

If you decide to increase your tire size to 295/75 22.5, I think Dunlop only has load range G, although the weight capacity is excellent. Bridgestone offers load range G and H in that tire size.

Hope that helps answer your question.

Jim & Kate
2016 Creekside 23RKS, 2014 Ram 1500 Eco Diesel
1995 Monaco Dynasty 36', 2005 Honda Pilot
Canada, eh?
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 10:49 PM   #6
I have the same size tire as the OP, 255's. I am pleased with the Firestone FS560 tires I put on 1.5 years ago. I chose them to replace aged out Michelin tires.
George R. - Fulltiming since January '03
2007 Newmar Mountain Aire 3991
2012 Chevy Malibu LT1
gruelens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 07:56 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Just had Sampson tires installed - like them so far - Dealer had tons of bad Goodyear and Mich tires -
Dave and Suzy, Quincey and Chica
My two youngest in Coast Guard
2006 Monaco Knight 40ft
2012 Jeep Liberty
docsdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 12:44 PM   #8
thanks for the input. I have replaced my Trailing arms fortunately before an incident. As it was one was cracked. My extended warranty paid for that one but not the other. Oh well. Interesting about the RV being heavy on one side. Actually what prompted me to replace tires were not only the age but the inside dual on passenger side, tread beginning to separate from casing.
rich2008r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 12:52 PM   #9
Sailun has the 255/70 in load range H and a good price.
BigBadDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 05:55 AM   #10
If you have the SBD floorplan with all that wonderful storage along the passenger slide, then you will have a weight imbalance large enough to cause under inflation on that side without information from a four corner weighing to avoid it. The first issue we had was the awful porpoising up and down in the front end, which was resolved with the Source ride enhancement kit. But of course the tires still rode like they were made of solid rubber and you felt every bump in your teeth. Moving to the 295/75 tires resolved that. No need for a mouthpiece now. Any quality shop will have software to change tire size ( revs per mile) so that your speedometer reads correctly. We now have the coach MCC should have built. BTW we used Dynabeads DynaBeads Tire Balancing Beads and they work great. Good luck

Frank W. '09 Cayman 38 SBD '08 CRV
Lake City, Florida
flynnwalter is offline   Reply With Quote