Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-22-2015, 02:55 PM   #1
epj

Tires

Got the common situation of
95% tread and old tires. Need to replace before any long trips. Any tips on where to buy? These are 245/70R/19.5 for a 36' Gas HR.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-22-2015, 03:11 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by epj View Post
Got the common situation of
95% tread and old tires. Need to replace before any long trips. Any tips on where to buy? These are 245/70R/19.5 for a 36' Gas HR.
epj
Any tire store.... or maybe Sam's club for the best price!
In 2011 my local Sam's Club ordered my 6 tires for me.
I paid $25 less per tire than the so called "FMCA Tire Advantage program" price.
Mel
'96 safari

Old 06-22-2015, 03:48 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I'd start doing some research on tire brands and decide what you'd be satisfied with. Common RV manufacturers are Michelin, Goodyear, Bridgestone. The decision on what kind of tire you should run should be based on your research, confidence in manufacturer, and depth of pocket.

I currently run Bridgestone on my 2002 Windsor and am very pleased with the performance. I have ~45K on my front tires that are 6 years old and they look like new. Have ~25K on the back 4 and they are 3 years old. I will probably have the front tires rotated to the back and run newer tires on the front. I do have a TPMS monitoring system and run my tires 10 psi over recommended so I know they've been taken care of.

I had a Class C that came with Firestone tires, had 3 fail due to the notorious tread separation. I decided to put on the best so I invested in 6 Michelin, they only lasted about 5 years before they weather checked to the point I didn't want to run them. Put Bridgestone on the rig and they had 3 years on them when I sold and they are still on the rig, probably going on 10 years old (I've advised the new owner recently to check the tires since I stay in touch with them).

I did have Goodyear on my coach when I bought it, the front tires had a bad cupping problem so I replaced with the Bridgestone after a front end alignment. I ran the back tires another 3 years, they were 10 years old and looked pretty good but they timed out. I did take the time to inspect the inside when they were removed and overall the tire was in good condition, I'm sure the tire dealer sold them as trailer tires.

Good luck on your replacement tires & welcome to RVing
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 01:02 PM   #4
epj

I tried checking Sam's on line and couldn't find anything in my size or even near it. I suppose they have to order them. I'll try calling at lunch break and see what they say.
I see we now have Koran and Chineese tires at attractive pricing. Korean, well maybe. Chinese, not likely.
Old 06-23-2015, 01:27 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by epj View Post
I tried checking Sam's on line and couldn't find anything in my size or even near it. I suppose they have to order them. I'll try calling at lunch break and see what they say.
I see we now have Koran and Chineese tires at attractive pricing. Korean, well maybe. Chinese, not likely.
epj
In 2011 when I got RV tires for my RV at Sam's Club they had a price book of many tire sizes the store didn't stock under the counter in the tire department.
Order time was 5 days.
Mel
'96 Safari
Old 06-23-2015, 03:33 PM   #6
epj

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
epj
In 2011 when I got RV tires for my RV at Sam's Club they had a price book of many tire sizes the store didn't stock under the counter in the tire department.
Order time was 5 days.
Mel
'96 Safari
Yeah, I just need to call them and ask I guess.
Old 06-23-2015, 04:13 PM   #7
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I got the best price on Michelins through the FMCA Michelin Advantage program, but they were 295-80R-22.5, so you will have more choices!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 06:50 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I bought my tires through a truck tire store. They can most often get you whatever brand you want and I've found the place where I do business well within any price I found online. Your biggest challenge is to find the tire that meets your criteria.

LSC9901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 07:16 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
As I've been saying on other recent threads on tires, I too am not quite ready --but getting close-- to buy a tire from a Chinese manufacturer but am willing to buy one from a South Korean or Japanese manufacturer.

Here's a random sampling of prices from the three different tier tires in your size from a random online vendor (tires-easy.com) so you can get an idea of the difference in price pertaining to the three tiers (click here for my interpretation of the tire "tiers"):

Tier I:

Michelin XRV: $426.90 (click)

Michelin XZE: $436.10 (click)

Goodyear G670 RV ULT: $488.80 (click)

Bridgestone R250F: $498.60 (click)

Tier II:

Hankook AH11 -- South Korean manufacturer: $271.70 (click)

Kumho KRS03 -- South Korean manufacturer: $269.40 (click)

Toyo M143 -- Japanese manufacturer: $349.40 (click)

Sumitomo ST 718 -- Japanese manufacturer: $232.20 (click)

Yokohama RY023 -- Japanese manufacturer: $333.70 (click)

Tier III (Chinese manufacturers):

Gladiator QR55-ST: $143.40 (click)

Milestar BS623: $156.80 (click)

Durun YTH4: $174.00 (click)

Other Tier III tires by Chinese manufacturers at simpletire.com:

Sailun S637: $155.99 (click)

Double Coin RT600: $168.99 (click)

Samson GL283A: $159.99 (click)

As you can see, the Tier III tires from Chinese manufacturers are all priced substantially under $200. The tires listed are, again, just a sampling and are a mix of F, G, and H rating in both 14 and 16 ply-rating.

These are just prices from two vendors but you can shop around of course. At least it gives you a starting point.
Old 06-23-2015, 07:47 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
With FET, Labor and state tax I paid $310 for Hankook AH-11. The tire alone was $254.

LSC9901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2015, 10:11 AM   #11
epj

That's real good info. The Japanese and maybe Korean tires look interesting. I'd like to stay under $2K for six tires if at all possible, though I want good tires. I don't have to have a tier l tire to get there.
Old 06-24-2015, 07:44 PM   #12

Triple E Owners Club
I am very happy with my Hankook AH11'S that I put on last year in the same size. I also used balance beads.
Old 06-24-2015, 08:54 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
"...though I want good tires. I don't have to have a tier l tire to get there."
Exactly!!...my sentiments too.

Old 06-24-2015, 09:09 PM   #14

My sentiments, too! Although, I guess I'm more adventurous than some. My coach came with new Cooper Roadmasters on the steer axle and 10 year old Michelins on the rear. The PO told me he'd had an alignment issue and wore the inside tread off both front Michelins. Naturally, after he'd had the alignment fixed, he put a less expensive tire on to sell the coach.

I immediately replaced the Michelins with Samsons, and have been quite satisfied ever since.

To be fair, none of the 10 year old Michelins that I took off showed any signs of the sidewall cracking that others have reported. I just couldn't justify the cost of replacing them, compared to what the Samsons cost.

I've promised to keep everyone up to date on "The Great Chinese Tire Experiment". So far, so good. the fronts are 2 1/2 years old and the rears are 16 months old. I've put 5450 miles on them and I'm quite happy. Trust me, if anything goes wrong, I'll post it, with pictures if possible. I have nothing to hide. I've eaten crow before, and it's really not that bad, especially with enough Tabasco!

Tags
tires