Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-12-2015, 10:36 AM   #15

Rexhall Owners Group
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ownby View Post
I have seen about 100 posts from you on the subject. I don't blame you for being upset by your experience but I have had a completely different experience. My steer tires are Michelin 315/80R22.5. They are approaching their 7th birthday. The sidewalls are completely free of cracks. There are many Michelin's in RV service that have given service like mine.

I have no particular loyalty to Michelin as I have Bridgestones on my drive & tag axles. I'll be in the market for steer tires in the next year or so. I will shop for the best price among 3 or4 major manufacturers.

I make my recommendations based on my experiences not yours.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
It's your money, you throw it away as you see fit.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-12-2015, 11:12 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUU View Post
It's your money, you throw it away as you see fit.

By this cryptic post, I assume you are suggesting buying Michelin's is equivalent to throwing money away. You obviously missed the part of my post about 7 year old Michelin's with no sidewall cracking or any other defect. I fail to see how purchasing any other brand 7 years ago would have given me a better outcome.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07

Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 09:16 PM   #17

Well said.
Old 09-12-2015, 09:52 PM   #18

Quote:
I have seen about 100 posts from you on the subject. I don't blame you for being upset by your experience but I have had a completely different experience. My steer tires are Michelin 315/80R22.5. They are approaching their 7th birthday. The sidewalls are completely free of cracks. There are many Michelin's in RV service that have given service like mine.
I have no particular loyalty to Michelin as I have Bridgestones on my drive & tag axles. I'll be in the market for steer tires in the next year or so. I will shop for the best price among 3 or4 major manufacturers.
I make my recommendations based on my experiences not yours.
Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Based on my experience, not yours, I recommend that anyone considering tires for their coach Google "tire side wall cracks".
I sincearly hope that one of my about 100 posts on the subject can/will prevent at least one other RVer from making an expensive mistake when they buy tires.
Mel
'96 Safari
Old 09-12-2015, 10:36 PM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Tires

Really?

Are we going here .... Again???

You should have bought them at www.simpletire.com. They will find you new tires.

I got 6 brand new (made June 2015) from them and installed at a commercial truck tire dealer, one of 8 in my city that sell 50,000 tires per month altogether, and do it right.

Michelin XRV 255/80/22.5 ARE available new if you are persistent.

Love Michelin's, wouldn't buy anything else! The inside rear tires looked like brand new, the exterior cosmetic cracking was due to the previous owner using silicone/petroleum based tire shine. But still, Michelin paid me $2,500 towards new tires --- the old ones were 4 years, 9 months old.

Now THAT is fantastic customer service!

I HIGHLY recommend Michelin as a service to other RV'er's!

Cheers!
Old 09-12-2015, 10:43 PM   #20

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
I agree with Steve! A couple of our tires are dated late in 2007 and show absolutely no checking or cracking. I expect to go 10 years on them as do others who have looked at them.
Our steer and tag tires are 365/70's and the drive are 315/80's.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 11:00 PM   #21

I will freely admit to running my crack-free Michelins for 10 years, endangering you all. For that I sincerely apologize.

I replaced them with something other than Michelins based neither on performance considerations, nor price. I'm staying out of the whole tire brand thing, so I'm not telling what I replaced them with.

My brand choice was made for me, by virtue of choosing a tire store here that I have been comfortable with, that does not expect me to hand them my keys, wait somewhere, and hope it all works out. (Never gonna happen; NOBODY maneuvers my coach but me). I said, "I get to help." They said, "Damn right."

Ya just feel good knowing you get to inspect the tires first (all dated identically, about 8 weeks old), chat with the guys, observe the balancing, put your valve extensions on yourself during dual mount up, and approve the torquing. I tipped the hell outta these guys, too.

My point is I put way more stock in the comfortable relationship of the process than "I gotta have me a brand x." These puppies got about 3 thou mi on them over the next 2 months. I doubt I could tell from the driver's seat that I changed brand, but I damn sure felt at peace having zero qualms or unknowns about the job that was done.
Civdiv99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 11:23 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha99 View Post
Really?
Are we going here .... Again???
Love Michelin's, wouldn't buy anything else!
One bad 3-1/2 year old tire might not change your mind about any brand of tire, but all six at once will...no mater how many good ones of that brand that you, and "everybody" else, have had.
Old 09-13-2015, 09:53 AM   #23

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
The OE Michelin XRV 235-80r-22.5 that came on my 2003 chassis were replaced at 70,000 miles without a failure or serious cracks. That coach had 98,600 miles when I sold it and the second set of Michelin tires still had about half their tread left and no cracks.
My current coach as the same size and model Michelin tires that were made in 2009 on it with 42,000+ miles and no cracks. IF or when those start to show serious cracking or uneven wear, I will replace them with Michelins. There may be cheaper brands out there, but I'll stick with the brand that has served me well for many years and many miles.
Old 09-13-2015, 09:19 PM   #24

In an effort to steer this train wreck back toward the original question, I agree with alpha99's suggestion of simpletire.com. They list over a dozen different brands of tires in whatever size you need. If you believe that you need Michelins, their prices are very competitive with the FMCA pricing, without having to know the secret handshake. They also list many other brands that experience suggests will give service equal to or better than Michelin's for significantly less money.

It's your money and your coach. Buy whatever makes you comfortable. Meanwhile, I'd be livid if someone put a different size tire on my coach than the ones I ordered! But then, now that I know it was Camping World, I'm not surprised!
Old 09-13-2015, 09:35 PM   #25

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Who, besides Michelin, makes a 365/70 22.5 tire?
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 11:39 PM   #26

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbarry View Post
Just off phone with camping world told me bring unit in they will look at it to see if am reading the dot dates correct then they will decide what to do Tbarry Ohio
If they put on different size they took off or different from what you told them you wanted. Tell them what you want, not they tell you what your going to do. Make sure they don't get rid of your old tires. If you have to tell them to put them back on and go some place else.
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350,F53 Chassis Chassis build date 1/99, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags front & rear, Koni Shocks,Blue OX TruCenter,TigerTrak track bars front & rear, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar,2004 F450 Lariat 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW with B & W Custom Truck Bed, 1994 36 ft. Avion 5th Wheel
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 07:25 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by chboone View Post
If they put on different size they took off or different from what you told them you wanted. Tell them what you want, not they tell you what your going to do. Make sure they don't get rid of your old tires. If you have to tell them to put them back on and go some place else.
Correct
You are entitled to the tires you want... especially if the size you asked for is the size your coach is supposed use per the manufacturer.

Undoubtedly CW will try whatever BS they can think of to convince you everything is alright
DO NOT allow them to FLIM-FLAM you in to excepting something you do not want.
They
can only take advantage of you if you LET them.
Mel
'96 Safari
Old 09-14-2015, 09:54 AM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Call your credit card company and dispute the charge. Pretty sure they will then listen to you !!

LSC9901 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires