Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-26-2015, 05:40 PM   #15

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
Not saying yours did not have a problem, but this is the first bad report I've seen with any Hankook. They are a major international tire maker, not a "junk" tire. Very strange that you had that sort of and rot, and have to wonder if it was caused by some chemical exposure, either in the air or the surface underneath where it is parked. Hope the new Firestones work out better. By the way, Firestone is now a Bridgestone brand.
X2 on the Hankook's and have four of them. Also 4 Hercules which have been great and all 8 are made in China. Then again, I've never really heard of a junk tire with a DOT number that could be justified as being such.
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-27-2015, 01:50 AM   #16

Quote:
Not saying yours did not have a problem, but this is the first bad report I've seen with any Hankook. They are a major international tire maker, not a "junk" tire. Very strange that you had that sort of cracking and rot, and have to wonder if it was caused by some chemical exposure, either in the air or the surface underneath where it is parked. Hope the new Firestones work out better. By the way, Firestone is now a Bridgestone brand.
Have to disagree with you Gary, any tire that starts to weather crack in 2 years IS junk. A major international manufacturer has nothing to do with it. Hankook did not deny their tires cracked, just that the cracking was not severe enough to warrant replacement. Not on my coach, and never again.
JPMaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 07:41 AM   #17

X2

Quote:
Not saying yours did not have a problem, but this is the first bad report I've seen with any Hankook. They are a major international tire maker, not a "junk" tire. Very strange that you had that sort of cracking and rot, and have to wonder if it was caused by some chemical exposure, either in the air or the surface underneath where it is parked. Hope the new Firestones work out better. By the way, Firestone is now a Bridgestone brand.
Same here bought Hankooks drove them to Alaska and back through some really rough roads no problems. it's just me but I can't get myself to paid $1000-1500 more for the M tires at that price and can get 3 sets for the price of 2.
The two of us and Kota, a 25 lbs Teddy Bear breed, makes three. Living the life in a 41 Fleetwood Providence pulling a Ford F150. Our trip of a lifetime 2014 Alaska all the way to Fairbanks. unbelievable beauty . as you go by.
nbargolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 07:45 AM   #18

Hankook

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPMaly View Post
Have to disagree with you Gary, any tire that starts to weather crack in 2 years IS junk. A major international manufacturer has nothing to do with it. Hankook did not deny their tires cracked, just that the cracking was not severe enough to warrant replacement. Not on my coach, and never again.
Did you check where they were made? Some are made in China, mine were made in Korea. BTW check the M tires some are made in China. if you don't believe it check the DOT and find the codes and you will see.
The two of us and Kota, a 25 lbs Teddy Bear breed, makes three. Living the life in a 41 Fleetwood Providence pulling a Ford F150. Our trip of a lifetime 2014 Alaska all the way to Fairbanks. unbelievable beauty . as you go by.
nbargolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 09:34 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Enochs View Post
Hi all , looking for new tires for our 2004 Monaco Cayman we had bought used. Curious as to the best tires to look at, and your experiences with them. Current tires we are wanting to replace are the original tires Goodyears................ 255/R70 22.5 and they only put 18,000 miles on em and they have plenty tread just 2004 production tires.

Jack

Hi Jack. I have a 2007 Cayman 38'. Replaced my 255.70.22 with Firestone 561's but upsized to 270.70.22. Allows me to drop my psi from 115 to 100 much better ride don't feel every bump in road.

Jim
Hurk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 11:22 AM   #20

The Hankooks were made in Korea. Hankooks " screw u " warranty is laughable at best. I don't recall the exact size, something like a crack of a sixteenth of an inch wide, is adjustable. Anybody feel comfortable with steer tires cracked just less then that on your coach? Maybe it was just a run of bad tires. I doubt it. If my problem was a rarity, and Hankook was a standup company, don't you think they would of stood by their product and made it right?
Old 09-27-2015, 04:12 PM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Firestone tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redapple View Post
X2 for the Firestone's!
X3 I'm really impressed with the 561's I put them on a few months ago, they had 2015 date code and they are made in the U.S. My size was a 275R70-22.5 and they really seem to ride great! Regards
Old 09-27-2015, 04:27 PM   #22

Damon Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
I have Goodyear 670 tires on my 39ft DP. There is no sidewall cracking or bulges. I keep them covered and spray with conditioner twice a year. With 25k on them they are down to 7/32 tread left which is disappointing. I know they are legal with that much tread but are they safe?
Britcanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 06:49 PM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Put Continentals on our last DP , ride, wear,&handling was great & a lot less expensive than Michelin or Goodyear !! By the way heard Michelin had blow-out problems ? Hope they have that problem fixed !
KNIGHT12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 03:01 PM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Jack

Thanks all for the info
The Enochs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 09:32 AM   #25

Tom, you may have seen my post in the Newmar forum, I just recently had a front-right tire blowout on my 2008 Essex. The tire had good tread and no visible damage, only 33,000 miles on them and when not on the road, stored in climate controlled underground storage. I haven't hit anything in the road and the TPMS gave no warning. Not sure if I picked up a nail/screw and that, combined with age, lead to a blowout with no warning.

My question, did you stay with the Michelin? Did you look at other tire brands? Did you change all tires on your coach?

Since I needed to replace the tire on the road near Omaha and could not locate a replacement Michelin (without waiting a few days), I replaced both front tires with Firestone FS400's.
Old 09-29-2015, 05:29 PM   #26

On our Essex when the front Michelin tire blew we were on I-5 north of Seattle and wanted to get the coach back on the road. There was a tire service we could see from our location and had them bring over and mount 2 BF.Goodrich 315-80's. The next day we were in Redmond Or. from FMCA Rally and order and had installed the rest of the tires with Michelins from STS with no sales tax. Have been a Michelin user on both RV and street cars but that tire blow out has caused me to be concerned about them. The BF tires are made by Michelin,
tom chelbana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 07:14 PM   #27

Need new tires too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurk View Post
Hi Jack. I have a 2007 Cayman 38'. Replaced my 255.70.22 with Firestone 561's but upsized to 270.70.22. Allows me to drop my psi from 115 to 100 much better ride don't feel every bump in road.

Jim
I need to replace Goodyear G670RV tires (225/70R22.5) also on Tiffen Allegro Bay 2008. Tires are 2007 and have 36000 original miles. Please post your results so far. Any other tires you looked at before purchasing Firestones. I have to see if they are available in Tennessee Knoxville area.
dennisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 07:19 PM   #28

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom chelbana View Post
Mr.D I would suggest you check the date code on the tires and if they are 6 years or older to replace them. We had a right front tire blowout on our Essex with a 5 1/2 year old Michelin that did 20,000 $ damage to coach plus put our lives at risk. The tires looked great, covered them when not in use, had TMPS and didn't hit anything in the road. The FMCA tire program with Michelin is great and then if in Oregon no sale tax. STS tires is a good place to start in Oregon. Have followed your engine problems but this could be worse.
Would love to but my DW has inoperable liver cancer so her health is the major concern right now! Trying to get her on the transplant list as that's the only "cure".
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires