Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 11-17-2015, 01:13 PM   #1

The dealer has my tires inflated at 75 psi but the tire is rated to be 95 psi
Is 75 ok or should be set at 95 ??
Class A Coachman motor home 34 feet

Wildrover is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-17-2015, 01:20 PM   #2

Tires are inflated based on the weight they are carrying I believe. To properly inflate you really need the tire chart from manufacturer and the approximate weight on each tire. So, unless the tires are carrying the max load they shouldn't necessarily be at the max pressure.

I do believe you are prudent in worrying about under inflated tires. I have heard that this is the number one reason for blow outs. I suspect this is probably with severely under inflated tires though. One tip I read was to keep a infrared laser/thermometer and measure the heat of your tires. If one of the tires is substantial hotter it may need air.

okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 01:35 PM   #3
Winnebago Owners Club
Weigh your coach and determine the axle weight for each axle. If you can get corner weights, so much the better.

If axle weight divide the weight by 2 to get the weight on the tires. Add about 5% weight to the weight, check the chart and inflate to the recommended pressure.

If you can get the corner weights use the heavier side and inflate both sides for that weight. Tire inflation should be the same on both sides.

Some folks add 5 - 10 lbs to the recommended inflation.

Having a bit too much air is not bad, not enough air is/can be dangerous.
Gordon and Janet
Tour 42QD/inTech Stacker
Gordon Dewald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 02:20 PM   #4
Monaco Owners Club
Originally Posted by Wildrover View Post
The dealer has my tires inflated at 75 psi but the tire is rated to be 95 psi
Is 75 ok or should be set at 95 ??
Class A Coachman motor home 34 feet
If you can't get the 4 corners weighed try for front axle/rear axle weight. Then divide by 2 or 4 and set by chart. If you can't get a weight or just to be safe, set the tires at whatever their max PSI is, in your case you say 95PSI. Setting to max may make your ride a little stiffer, setting them too low may cause them to blow going down the road at 65. I set mine to max because it's close anyway (for me.) Good luck.
Jerry, "EWC (SW)" USN Retired
2003 Beaver Patriot Thunder 505 HP C-12 1550 TQ
Allison 4000MH Ram 4X4 towed
gemert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 09:02 PM   #5
Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
All good replys to your post, But keep in mind that the manufacture of your coach tells you what the minumun pressure should be. Don't go below what is on the sticker in the coach.
2006 Four Winds Hurricane 31D, Steer Safe, CHF, 50 Amp Conversion, 3000 Watt Inverter, Toad is a 2007 Jeep Liberty Sport. Blue Ox Aladdin Tow Bar, Apollo Braking System
mhbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 09:12 PM   #6
iRV2 No Limits Club
The sticker on the rig is for the rig loaded to it's maximum rated load. Use that pressure if you haven't weighed the rig.
The pressure on the sidewall of a Michelin RV tire and many others is not the "Maximum" the tire should ever have (unlike car tires) it is the minimum to support the maximum rated carrying capacity of the tire.

From the Michelin RV Tire Guide:
"If you look at the tire's sidewall, you'll see the maximum load capacity allowed for the size tire and load rating, and the minimum cold air inflation needed to carry the maximum load."
From page 6 of the GoodYear RV Tire and Care Guide:
"How much air is enough?
The proper air inflation for your tires depends on how much your fully loaded RV or trailer weighs. Look at the sidewall of your RV tire and you’ll see the maximum load capacity for the tire size and load rating, as well as the minimum cold air inflation, needed to carry that maximum load."
From TOYO:
Q: What are the consequences of inflating the tires to accommodate the actual loads?
A: If the inflation pressure corresponds to the actual tire load according to the tire manufacturer’s load and pressure table, the tire will be running at 100% of its rated load at that pressure. This practice may not provide sufficient safety margin. Any air pressure loss below the minimum required to carry the load can result in eventual tire failure.
But then they go ahead and publish a weight/pressure chart allowing lower pressure for RV's!!

From the August 2010 Motorhome Magazine "Tread Carefully" tire article:
The maximum load capacity allowed for the size tire and load rating and the minimum cold air inflation needed to carry that maximum load are located on the tire’s sidewall.
2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '05 Odyssey
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 08:07 AM   #7
I too, have a 20,500lb coachmen (Santera) 34" and I am running the Cooper tires. I found my sweet spot to be 90 psi. I did as others suggested and watched the temp with a gauge. The tire says max at 110 but I got a very stiff ride so I adjusted down till it was a perfect ride (90). The max I have seen my tires was 128 after 3-4 hours of 75 on the Ca. freeways. Good luck and keep a eye on them.

Dave & Debi 2007 Alfa See Ya Model 1007 40ft 3 slides. 330 hp Mercedes-Benz MBE 926 Towing a 1989 YJ Wrangler Jeep.
ddgoodtimes is offline   Reply With Quote