Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-06-2017, 01:32 PM   #15

Tires..........

NasdaqSam,
That nagging feeling of "when am I going to have a blowout" would be all it took for me to go out and purchase some new tires. It just adds stress - not a good way to travel for sure!

I just ordered some Falcon RI151's for my RV. I've read some good reviews, and the tire salesman recommended them. They're made in Japan, and were very affordable. Just another brand for you to consider.
Sunny1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-06-2017, 02:44 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasdaqsam View Post
I suspect you are right on the sampling but probably closer to 1% there are a lot of RV's out there.

With why do they use the big name brands it's because they have massive name recognition. When you are at the top of the market it's a tough sell telling a $500k buyer this coach features Joe's tires, Michelin's stink, lol.
That might be right, however, I would venture a bet that 90% of all buyers don't pay any attention to what brand of tire is on the new motorhome they want to buy. As long as it's black and round it's ok with them.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 06:47 PM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Tires..........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasdaqsam View Post
So still struggling with taking tires with 3000 miles on them off the coach just because of the date of manufacturing. Oct/2011. Oct of this makes them 7 years old so at their questionable age limit.

Thoughts?

Where does this 7 year thing keep coming from? Michelin says it's impossible to determine when to replace tires based on age alone, but recommends changing them at 10 years. Goodyear doesn't even give a recommended replacement age.

Here's what Michelin has to say on the subject:

"SERVICE LIFE FOR RECREATIONAL VEHICLE TIRES

MICHELIN[emoji768] tires are designed to meet the highest criteria for quality, performance, and durability. In addition to natural rubber, MICHELIN[emoji768] tires contain more than 200 different raw materials to provide superior strength and exibility throughout the life of the tire. Over time, these components naturally evolve; the evolution depends upon many factors such as the environment, storage conditions, and conditions of use (load, speed, in ation pressure, and maintenance). Therefore, it is impossible to predict when tires should be replaced based on their calendar age alone.
Some recreational vehicle owners may choose to operate MICHELIN[emoji768] tires after the tire warranty expires. For consumers who choose to operate tires beyond the tire’s warranted life, Michelin recommends frequent
tire inspections, especially before long trips. Michelin recommends that any tires, including spare tires, should be replaced after 10 years of service, even if they have not reached the legal wear limit.
In addition to frequent tire inspections and proper in ation pressure maintenance, Michelin recommends regular tire inspections by trained tire technicians. Consumers are strongly encouraged to be aware not only of their tire visual conditions and in ation pressures,
but also of any changes in dynamic performances which could be an indication that the tires need to be removed from service. Indications include an increased level of noise or vibration, or an increased frequency in loss
of in ation pressure (faster than 2 psi per month). For additional assistance, consult a Michelin tire dealer."

Here's what Goodyear says:

"Tire Replacement Guidelines

Goodyear does not state a specific replacement age for RV tires because there are many conditions that dictate a tire's life span. Some factors that influence how long a tire will last are:

Usage per year - more frequent usage will result in longer life

Vehicle storage practices (6 months loaded with little or no rotation is not good!)

Usage in warmer climates can also impact a tire's overall life due to greater extreme ozone exposure"

As for me, I get my tires inspected annually and check them before every trip, including when we stop at a rest area or lunch.
Brian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 06:50 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny1 View Post
NasdaqSam,
That nagging feeling of "when am I going to have a blowout" would be all it took for me to go out and purchase some new tires. It just adds stress - not a good way to travel for sure!

I just ordered some Falcon RI151's for my RV. I've read some good reviews, and the tire salesman recommended them. They're made in Japan, and were very affordable. Just another brand for you to consider.
Sunny, I haven't seen those. Will look into them, thanks
Nasdaqsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 06:57 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian W View Post
Where does this 7 year thing keep coming from? Michelin says it's impossible to determine when to replace tires based on age alone, but recommends changing them at 10 years. Goodyear doesn't even give a recommended replacement age.

Here's what Goodyear says:

"Tire Replacement Guidelines

Usage per year - more frequent usage will result in longer life

Vehicle storage practices (6 months loaded with little or no rotation is not good!)
This coach sat for 5 years minimal use the last 3 it has not moved an inch..........but on top of this talking to so many people with horror stories of Goodyear tires. It's a tough call. If I could sell these and get news ones installed for around $2k all in I would do it simply for piece of mind. But I get what you are saying trust me I have justified keeping them a thousand times.
Old 07-06-2017, 07:10 PM   #20

American Coach Owners Club
Quote-"Usage per year - more frequent usage will result in longer life"
Here is the problem !
Tires sitting for long periods of time deteriorate at a far more rapid pace than not. Buying Cheap Tires won't change a thing if they're not used .
Sort of a double edged sword. Buy cheap --You Pay-- Buy Good and you Pay. The old saying --(Use it or Lose it ) Rings a bell.
Me? I hate the word Cheap = I can't afford !
When it comes down to my Motorhome or our Cars -Cheap never enters into the equation. My life is more valuable than Cheap !
NHRA225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 08:51 PM   #21
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I think "Crasher" gave you some of the best info. I will also say that some people can drive down the road with square tires and NEVER notice an issue while others are very sensitive to ride quality, balance, smoothness of ride. My PERSONAL opinion, those who go cheap on tires could care less how they ride, only caring about what they saved, but pay for a rough ride every mile they drive.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 06:07 AM   #22

Once again the forum has spoken and given great advise from all.

I am thinking somewhere middle of the road will work for us. With the sizes RV's take it might come down to who offers this size also. I am finding the 80R thing limits the brands.
Old 07-07-2017, 06:19 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphie View Post
Unfortunately, conventional wisdom is new trailer tires at 3 years and MH tires at 6-7 years.

I've always found it interesting that tires on M/H's are done at 7 years, yet when you speak to fleet owners and tire shops they'll tell you that tires are only 'done' when worn or deteriorated.

There's a big tire shop a few doors down from my business, they do a LOT of M/H's, and they sell all those 'expired' tires to folks with medium duty trucks who then happily run them for years. I'm one of those happy used tire customers.

The only times, twice, I had one of those tires blow was when it was inadvertently run under-inflated.
Old 07-07-2017, 10:49 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf2u View Post
I've always found it interesting that tires on M/H's are done at 7 years, yet when you speak to fleet owners and tire shops they'll tell you that tires are only 'done' when worn or deteriorated.

There's a big tire shop a few doors down from my business, they do a LOT of M/H's, and they sell all those 'expired' tires to folks with medium duty trucks who then happily run them for years. I'm one of those happy used tire customers.

The only times, twice, I had one of those tires blow was when it was inadvertently run under-inflated.
Become a fanatic about tire pressure. I check mine every morning when we're on the road and shoot each tire with an IR thermometer at each stop.
In reality, underinflated tires become overloaded. They overheat first and then fail.
AITG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 05:55 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by AITG View Post
Become a fanatic about tire pressure. I check mine every morning when we're on the road and shoot each tire with an IR thermometer at each stop.
In reality, underinflated tires become overloaded. They overheat first and then fail.

In RV service that's easily doable, in a regional delivery fleet a nail or screw in a tire is all too common and will drop tire pressures to an unsafe level way before the next stop.

It's just an occupational hazard, literally.
Old 07-08-2017, 06:35 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf2u View Post
In RV service that's easily doable, in a regional delivery fleet a nail or screw in a tire is all too common and will drop tire pressures to an unsafe level way before the next stop.

It's just an occupational hazard, literally.
Very true. When something is ours we always seem to be more careful. Then again, nobody is timing how long each stop takes or requiring so many cases per hour.
AITG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 10:46 AM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
LOL! Where does any "rule of thumb" or "traditional wisdom" come from? It's folklore and based on anecdotal experience, and it is always a substitute for factual analysis. If you aren't a tire expert yourself, or have access to a tire engineer, you have to go with a less accurate evaluation. Age does become a factor when tires aren't driven many miles or very often. If you read all the Michelin tire service info, you see that they say 5-10 years is the safe usable life.

Based loosely on that 5-10 year range, some people are ultra-conservative and change at 5, while others figure they can do 10, and the rest pick somewhere in between. Like maybe 7 years.

If you keep an constant eye on your tire condition, are aware of the external signs of tire problems, and are religious about load & psi, I see only small risk in using them longer than 7 years. On the other hand, if you think tires are just round black things, maybe you should be changing them at 5 or 6 years. YOU MAKE THE CALL.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 11:14 AM   #28

Yep, 7 years is anecdotal, or about when I've observed MH people reporting blowouts regardless of remaining tread. I started believing in 7 years when I had blowouts, but again, some folks report getting much longer from their tires.
ralphie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires