Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 12-10-2010, 03:34 PM   #1

Hi everyone I am going thru the process of purchasing an RV class A. The tires have 40,000 miles on them,they are ten year old tires . The dealer says the only way he will replace them is for them to flunk the state inspection. If he doesn't replace the tires do you think I should back out of the deal? Thank Steve

smac is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-10-2010, 03:41 PM   #2
Commercial Member
Monaco Owners Club
According to ALL RV tire people, they are toooooo old..... the dealer knows that.... it's a huge expense for one of you......
Just put new Bridgestone R250's on ours.... big ones though...295-80/22.5.... $3,300 American Dollars!!!!!!

Bernie, Karen & Digbe http://www.RV-Insight.com
Full Timers - SD Tags - Today - North Central USA
2000 Monaco Windsor 38' Diesel Pusher w/250 Scoot
Downsizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 04:02 PM   #3
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
There are way too many used RV's out there for a dealer to take a hard stand. If he plays tough you play tougher. You better be getting a heck of a deal for him not to put a set of $2,500 tires on. I would never take a ten year old RV tire up to highway speeds. When, not if , it comes apart it may do lots of damage to the Motorhome itself.
NOTE; I am not responsible for typos, poor grammer or misspelled word !
04 Itasca, Meridian 34H, 330 Cat/2003 CR V Toad
1933 Ford 3 Window,as seen in Bye Bye Birdie
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 04:18 PM   #4
Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner

For that size tire $2,500.00 would be a very good deal. I just bought a 235/80 22.5 from sam's club and with tax $345.00 plus at a truck store $30.00 each (6) to mount and balance.

I would buy the coach one if it was a very good deal and you love, two get the price down to were you would pay a little for the new tires. I would not drive far with 10 year old tires.
Mike, Janet & Duchess (cavalier King Charles)
2008 35B windsport, Brazel's rear TracBar, Koni shocks & Safe T plus steering
mikron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 04:20 PM   #5

Yes, ten years is old for tires no matter how deep the thread. I think even Michelin says 10 years is time to replace RV tires. If it is a 22.5 wheel you can estimate at least $500 a tire and that is only if you find them on sale.
Bob, Sandi & Marmaduke the Big Pug
SW OREGON 2004 Journey 39K, 330 Cat
If towing: a 2006 Mini Cooper or 1995 Wrangler
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 05:04 PM   #6
A sale is consumated when the buyer and the seller agree to the terms and conditions. Seems like you are in the drivers' seat on this one. Make him the offer you want and then walk if the dealer does not want to play. There are a lot of RVs out there for sale.

Good luck.
2001 34' Alpine Coach
2008 Jeep Rubicon or 2012 Ford F150 4x4 Lariat towds
or a couple of different trailers
Retired in Apple Valley, California
Rich and Cork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 06:02 PM   #7
Exclamation Tires

Wow, 10 years old. I just bought a 5 year old coach with 6 year old tires that turn 7 in '011. They only have 24,000 miles and no outward signs of deterioration.

Still, I am having $2,200 worth of new ones installed on the 15th. I got a good price and considered the tire money as part of the purchase price. I may be a little on the cautious side but the peace of mind is worth it to me.

I would make sure I had new tires one way or another.
bend302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 06:05 PM   #8
Newmar Owners Club
Hi smac,
I think we are all in agreement the tires are worn out from an age point of view. This is normal. Few RVers will wear out tires via the tread depth.

Should you walk from the deal? Floor plan sells the coach. Everything else is negotiable. Make a deal that allows you (not the dealer) to replace the tires. This way you get a better price (less taxes, etc) and you get to choose the tires that will be put on the coach. On the high end, Michelin's for many 22.5" tires will run over $600/tire.

Actually, consider yourself lucky. It is a buyers market. You need explain nothing to the dealer. Make an offer and walk away if the dealer likes the coach more than your offer.

FYI, I personally know of two Newmar coaches for sale. Both are for sale for health reasons. The third Newmar was sold already. If you want details, PM me.
2005 Newmar KSDP 3910 + GMC ENVOY XUV 37K lbs Moving Down The Road
The Avatar Is Many Times Around The USA
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 06:23 PM   #9
Most of the advice I have read over the last year of my RV ownership says that you should start looking for replacement tires when they are about 5 to 6 years old, at the oldest. Mileage has little to do with it since most RV'ers don't put that many miles on them.

Also, it is good advice to be able to choose your own tires rather than letting this dealer do it for you since he is trying to get to you in the first place. Check the date on the tire when they were made. You can read up on it, but tires are dated as to the week and year they were made. This is important since it is possible to buy tires that were made up to a year ago, and I know a person who bought 6 new tires and 2 of them were made 9 months before the other 4. Not good.

Good luck. Others have given good advice as to your negotiating position. You are in the driver's seat. Make an offer, give him your contact info, and walk. He will call you within a few days.

2009 Newmar 42 ft. Allstar 4188, Wheelchair Accessible, 400HP Cummins ISL, Allison 3000, Mastertow Dolly, '98 Riviera
akadeadeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 06:45 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The selling price has to reflect the necessity of replacing the tires immediately. Either the dealer includes new tires in the selling price, or you get a price that allows you to buy the tires and still be happy with the deal.

We are talking somewhere in the $2400-$3500 range, depending on the size of the tires, so this is not a small thing. If you can't get a price you are happy with after including a new set of tires, then you should walk.
Gary Brinck
2004 American Tradition; 2013 Buick Verano
Homebase in the Ocala Nat'l Forest near Ocala, FL
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 09:30 PM   #11
Yeah. If that dealer will not replace the tires don't do the deal. I would not want to take ownership of that coach and be responsible for getting it to the tire dealer. If he will not acknowledge it needs new tires you do not want to do business with such a person who is not concerned about your saftey.
B Bob
Country Coach 42' Affinity
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 08:14 AM   #12
Thank you so much for your advice. You have helped my wife and I so much. We have come to the decision that we will back out of the deal if the new tires aren't put on. I will know if they will do it or not buy the end of next week. Thank you all again. Steve
smac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 08:52 AM   #13
Monaco Owners Club
Get new tires in the deal. I had planned for new tires on the coach we bought, thought we could do a 150 mile trip over Labor day and get them over the winter.
That was a bad decision. We had a blowout on our 1st trip. It took out the airbags at that wheel, about 2K to fix (ins paid), left us stranded 70 miles from home, and the coach was down for almost 6 weeks getting fixed.
Then we spent the 2K for tires. Lucky for us it was a rear not a front. Lesson learned about tires from that.
97windsor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 01:42 PM   #14
Winnebago Owners Club
We replacer ours after 3 years and 2 blowouts both while moving at 65 MPH; 295. x 22.5 Then you ask how much;; I don;t know nor do I care you come down off a mounten pass and blow a tire Go into the Guardrail . wreck your coach then proudly Say Hay I saved $2500.00 dollers by driving on the tires that were only 4 years old.. Your life is/should be worth more then that;;;; DO not Skimp on safety; As for brand I like Mich;; They are all good just buy the best you can get;; It is your houses foundation;; Life is good;;

bachler is offline   Reply With Quote