Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-11-2014, 09:00 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Tires and Alignment

Hello All:

I've owned 4 class A RVs since 2005, stepping up when we could.

My current and finally one we love is a 2011 Fleetwood Discovery 42C tag axle Class A diesel pusher.

We currently have about 17,200 miles showing on the odometer.

I've never worried about tires and alignment before. So, I'm treading on new territory.

On my most recent trip, I noticed that the outside edge of the passenger front tire shows significant wear. Not enough to panic over. But, something is definitely wrong.

All other tires appear to show normal wear. I've noticed a tendency for the coach to pull to the right. But, that may be my imagination. But is sure feels real to me.

I was wondering if a coach ever needs an alignment. I've never seen anything discussed from any of my RV information sources or in any of the RV magazines I read.

I contacted Goodyear, my tire manufacturer. They told me that they didn't do alignments. I contacted my local Spartan Chassis maintenance shop. They don't do alignments. But gave me the name of the company they subcontract their work to. When I contacted the subcontractor, he told me that they only did trucks and referred me yet again. That's too far down the chain for me to feel comfortable. Maybe I'll have to trust them eventually. But not quite yet.

So, I'm asking the rest of the forum for their thoughts, ideas, and their experiences in the tire and alignment subjects. I'll also contact Fleetwood and Spartan for further input.

Thanks in advance to anyone that is willing to share any information.

Kevin
kevinpvb is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-11-2014, 09:10 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My Monaco came with a credit for a free alignment. I didn't use it, thinking it wasn't necessary. Wrong.

My front tires started wearing a bit funny and when taking on and off ramps I would hear a weird noise.

Put on new front tires and had an alignment done. Cured the problems.

So I'd say get it checked....if you can find a place to do it!! Come on out to California and I'll share my alignment place with you.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 09:24 AM   #3

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinpvb View Post
Hello All:

My current and finally one we love is a 2011 Fleetwood Discovery 42C tag axle Class A diesel pusher.

I've never worried about tires and alignment before. So, I'm treading on new territory.

On my most recent trip, I noticed that the outside edge of the passenger front tire shows significant wear. Not enough to panic over. But, something is definitely wrong.

All other tires appear to show normal wear. I've noticed a tendency for the coach to pull to the right. But, that may be my imagination. But is sure feels real to me.

I was wondering if a coach ever needs an alignment. I've never seen anything discussed from any of my RV information sources or in any of the RV magazines I read.

I contacted Goodyear, my tire manufacturer. They told me that they didn't do alignments. I contacted my local Spartan Chassis maintenance shop. They don't do alignments. But gave me the name of the company they subcontract their work to. When I contacted the subcontractor, he told me that they only did trucks and referred me yet again. That's too far down the chain for me to feel comfortable. Maybe I'll have to trust them eventually. But not quite yet.

So, I'm asking the rest of the forum for their thoughts, ideas, and their experiences in the tire and alignment subjects. I'll also contact Fleetwood and Spartan for further input.

Kevin
Hard to believe, you can't find a trucking outfit, willing to do it, as we had more than one choice, but this could depend on the area where you live. We don't have anything like you have, but did have ours done recently for $150 and they had a mobile unit, which they used in the parking lot. Hopefully it'll prove itself, since the only reason I had it done is because of a little inside tire wear after about 10K miles of running around the country and it was out, according to specs.
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 09:32 AM   #4

Quote:
Hello All:

Kevin

Kevin,

The best place in the country for a motorhome alignment is down in Orlando, at Josams. Make an appointment & take a road trip.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 10:28 AM   #5

Check your toe-in. You can do this yourself by aiming your wheels straight ahead and measure the distance between the front tires forth and aft at centerline elevation.
Old 06-11-2014, 10:44 AM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Odd

Several truck alignment shops here that do RV's, had mine done upon purchase. Well spent $100 or so considering price of tires.
trode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 05:29 PM   #7

Kevin Had Josams in Orlando do our Monaco with a slight pull and they did a very good job. They will make appointment. David
55stude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 10:14 PM   #8
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
hopefully it's just an alignment issue......but since it's a Goodyear G670, it's probably "rivering". Do a search and you'll find a ton of info on "rivering".

The typical alignment price for a diesel pusher is about $150.00. Find a shop that does 4 wheel laser alignment. This checks your rears against the front to make sure they're all running in the same direction.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 11:33 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
I just made an appointment at the Spartan Factory in Charlotte, Michigan, we go August 12th. We live in southern Indiana so per GPS says about a 5 1/2 hour trip.

They are going to do a front end alignment, 4 corner weighing, check steering issue, hubby says to much play. We are having the 44 point check done, hubby thinks they will likely do the brakes. Wonder what can of worms we will open. It has new shocks, new tires, hubby greases everything, was supposed to have had the hub oil changed and brakes checked. Had the air dryers serviced, tranny, oils changed, filters, fuel filter, antifreeze on generator and motorhome. We replaced 1 hydraulic jack. New dash AC unit and hoses, many hoses replaced on engine and genny, new alternator, 2 of the 6 batteries new, added Smart module trickle charger and other stuff. New water tank going in by hubby. He has done a lot of things like that.

I'm having them list if they will critical or safety items, then needs done, and discretionary. Again my husband can do those as he goes along.

Ours is very old, a 92 Eagle, so old they couldn't even find it at first. She said they went to a new system 2 years ago so somehow couldn't find it. Today they asked if I had a date of purchase, not hardly. But I do think I found the original owners name and gave them that. I'm guessing it was bought end of 1991 as they had a newsletter announcing a January rally in 92 in the manuals. By the way 22 years and a complete set of manuals. I have added manuals and date of purchase for all the new stuff we have replaced. Also the pamphlet told about the 3rd Spartan rally.

I asked today if this is the oldest ones they have serviced, will likely hear back tomorrow. It had to be one of the first Eagles or near the first I would think. They might get a kick out of seeing one so old still trucking down the road. Wonder for how much longer? We hope till we hang it up.
PatStab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 05:10 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
UPDATE

Hello everyone. Thanks for your help with this issue. With your input, I found a place here in Jacksonville named "Hortons". The cost was $190. The did an excellent job. They kept me informed all through the process. They also told me that they only had some minor tweaking to do and that the adjustments made should not have caused the issue with the tire. They also told me that I have the same problem with both front tires.

As recommended by answers to this post, I did some research into "rivering". What I read sounds like the issue I've got.

Has anyone got information about a successful negotiation with Goodyear for replacement of the tires? I'll be contacting them tomorrow.
kevinpvb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 07:11 AM   #11

Quote:
UPDATE

Hello everyone. Thanks for your help with this issue. With your input, I found a place here in Jacksonville named "Hortons". The cost was $190. The did an excellent job. They kept me informed all through the process. They also told me that they only had some minor tweaking to do and that the adjustments made should not have caused the issue with the tire. They also told me that I have the same problem with both front tires.

As recommended by answers to this post, I did some research into "rivering". What I read sounds like the issue I've got.

Has anyone got information about a successful negotiation with Goodyear for replacement of the tires? I'll be contacting them tomorrow.

Kevin,

Good luck with Goodyear. The standard response from them about this wear pattern is that they consider it normal and acceptable. They will also tell you to increase the tire pressure to the max on the sidewall. From a tire life prospective, you will still age out your tires before the wear pattern gets to be a problem.

You could take your steer tires and put them as a pair on one side of the drive axle. Once the tires are off the steer axle the wear will normalize.

When you are due for new tires I would look at Michelin and Bridgestone. There are certainly others acceptable but these are available nationally.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 09:05 AM   #12

Kevin
Josams in Orlando is the one alignment shop most praised over on Monacoers yahoo group blog. We had them do an alignment as well as a four corner weighing. I am no mechanic. period. But, IMHO, unless you have the dreaded Goodyear tire 'rivering' that most folks believe is a tire defect, then I strongly suggest an alignment at a quality big truck shop and if possible at Josams--a worldwide big equipment alignment company. New tires cost too much not to get an alignment if there is uneven tire wear as you now seem to have. Josams was not a bit surprised when our 4 corner weighing showed a big difference in rear axle side to side weight, saying it is not at all uncommon, and the airbags compensate for it. However, without a 4 corner weighing it is impossible to accurately figure what psi your tires require because you do not know what that corner weighs. It can lead to blowouts. We all know what happens when we 'assume', and assuming both sides of an axle weigh the same is one more 'assume'. Good luck!
Josams gave us a 20 amp extension cord (not enough for both a/c's) for the night as we arrived before 4PM (lock gate) the day before our early appt.

Tags
tires