Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 01-06-2016, 04:56 AM   #1
Tires and parking

I live where I can park my Monaco at my home. A friend, also an RVr, said when parking my coach for an extended period of time, I should not let the tires sit on my grass. He said I need to drive up on 2x10s so tires are not directly on the ground or grass. Does anyone have any insight on this issue?

hogman69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-06-2016, 05:38 AM   #2
This is what Michelin Tires states in their literature (Note the end of first paragraph):

Unless the RV owner is a full-time RV-er, the vehicle
probably spends some time in long-term storage. But
what the RV owner probably didn’t know is that rubber
tires age when not being used. So, if the owner must store
the RV, a cool, dry, sealed garage is the best bet. Also, some
storage surfaces can cause tires to age faster. That’s why
Michelin recommends placing a barrier (cardboard,
plastic or plywood) between the tire and the storage
Here are some other steps the RV owner can take to
help reduce the aging effects from long-term storage:
1) Thoroughly clean tires with soap and water before
placing into storage.
2) Cover tires to block direct sunlight and ultraviolet
3) Store out of a high ozone area.
Note: When a vehicle is stored, tires should be inflated
to the inflation pressure indicated on the sidewall.
Before removing the vehicle from long-term storage,
thoroughly inspect each tire – this includes sidewalls,
tread area, and pressure. If the tires have lost pressure, be
sure to inflate them to the correct pressure before driving.
Goodyear information states (see last bullet):

Storing your vehicle properly helps protect your tires.
• Keep your vehicle in a cool, dry storage area out of direct sunlight and UV rays.
• Unload your vehicle so that minimum weight is on the tires.
• Inflate your tires to recommended operation pressure plus 25%, but don’t exceed the rim
manufacturer’s inflation capacity.
• Thoroughly clean your tires with soap and water before storing them to remove any oils that may have
accumulated from the road.
• Move your vehicle at least every three months to help prevent cracking and flat-spotting,
but avoid moving it during extremely cold weather.
• Place your vehicle on blocks to remove the weight from the tires. If the vehicle can’t be put on blocks,
make sure the storage surface is firm, clean, well-drained and reasonably level.

Good Luck, Be Safe and Above All, Don't Forget To Have Fun
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, being pushed by a 2009 Honda CRV
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 08:48 AM   #3
At the Freightliner school they told us something that makes good sense. Put anything under your tires as long as it is synthetic and not "organic". Concrete, wood, etc. can draw the emulsive oils out of the rubber. That discolored area in your concrete where your vehicle is always parked is evidence of this. I got a sheet of Fiberglass Reinforced Plastic (FRP) at Home Depot and cut it into rectangles that fit under the front and rear tires. We also built blocks out of stacked 2x10s that just fit under the RETRACTED chassis jacks. Park on the plastic sheets, push the blocks under the jack pads, then dump the air suspension. The rig settles onto the jacks/blocks removing most of the weight from the tires AND your lift jacks are not exposed nor are you relying on your hydraulics for long term storage.
Safetysteve5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 03:11 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
It's all about decent soil drainage and avoiding nasty chemicals. Other than that, your tires are really rugged - they spend much of their life on hot, oily, dirty pavement, right? Pavement that is often concrete, by the way.

Relatively fresh concrete will leach caustic chemicals, but 5-10 year old concrete is long past that. I leave mine on "grass", but we live in Florida and the soil is sandy and drains instantly. Could not do that in New England or other location with clay-based soils that retain water and chemicals. Pressure treated wood also has a lot of nasty chemicals in it.

Crushed stone or river rock is another good choice for drainage and no-chemicals.

The advice in the tire books is largely worse case scenario designed to keep idiots out of trouble. They don't explain anything - just say "don't ...". If the tire engineer had his druthers, you would be taking his tires to bed with you at night!
Gary Brinck
2004 American Tradition; 2014 Buick LaCRosse
Homebase in the Ocala Nat'l Forest near Ocala, FL
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 04:41 AM   #5
Winnebago Owners Club
I placed some used tires under a storage building lying on ground.Pulled them out they were cracked on bottom side.
hillman is offline   Reply With Quote