Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-22-2015, 09:06 PM   #1

Tires and shocks

Had a guy from a Diesel n Tire company tell me, after looking at and feeling the surface of my passenger side front tire, that I needed new shocks. The tire, when you run your hand along the tread surface has a bit of a rounded surface. This is unlike the other tires where it feels flat on the tread.

He said the tire will do this when new shocks are needed. Is this accurate?

I just bought this coach (2004 Newmar DS) and not well versed in this. As a woman I'm leary of being taken advantage of.

Drives ok but no expert in how it might feel to drive otherwise.

Thanks.
GN2ZDGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-22-2015, 10:23 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If it drives and handles well for you I think I'd leave it alone until you can get a few more opinions from other sources.

You don't say where you are located so I can't make any recommendations of who to go to.

If you'll give us your general location perhaps somebody who lives in your area could recommend an honest dealer.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 06:57 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GN2ZDGS View Post
Had a guy from a Diesel n Tire company tell me, after looking at and feeling the surface of my passenger side front tire, that I needed new shocks. The tire, when you run your hand along the tread surface has a bit of a rounded surface. This is unlike the other tires where it feels flat on the tread.

He said the tire will do this when new shocks are needed. Is this accurate?

I just bought this coach (2004 Newmar DS) and not well versed in this. As a woman I'm leary of being taken advantage of.

Drives ok but no expert in how it might feel to drive otherwise.

Thanks.
If the inner edge is smooth, but rounded it's more likely the coach needs a front end alignment. If the inner edge is scalloped it could be either a shock absorber or a tire out of balance.

Check the shock itself to see if there's any signs of damage or leaks. If there's any damage or leaks they should be replaced. Be sure to check the rubber bushings at the top and bottom of the shock. If they are deteriorated it cold be time to replace them. If it's only 1 tire it's more likely a balance problem.

Shocks should last to at least 75,000 miles without problems. They are generally replaced as a set for an axle. I say a "set" because while most vehicles have 2 shock absorbers per axle some have 4.
Old 12-23-2015, 07:34 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

I would be skeptical. Worn shocks can let the tire bounce a lot, which causes something called "cupping", round or oval spots where the tread is more worn that the surrounding tire surface. There will be multiple of these shallow spots around the circumference of the tire. It does NOT cause a uniform "rounded" effect. If the tire is rounded, meaning higher in the center than both edges, that indicates over-inflation. If only one edge is lower than the rest, it indicates a front end alignment problem.

These pictures and brief explanations may help:
Tire Tread Wear Patterns: Pictures | Causes
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 08:53 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
If it drives and handles well for you I think I'd leave it alone until you can get a few more opinions from other sources.

You don't say where you are located so I can't make any recommendations of who to go to.

If you'll give us your general location perhaps somebody who lives in your area could recommend an honest dealer.
It drives okay but I'm brand new at it and didn't feel anything weird. Just drove it from CO to TX a week or so ago.

I'm located near McKinney TX (north of Dallas about 50 miles) Thanks for any suggestions!
Old 12-23-2015, 08:57 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikerdogs View Post
If the inner edge is smooth, but rounded it's more likely the coach needs a front end alignment. If the inner edge is scalloped it could be either a shock absorber or a tire out of balance.

Check the shock itself to see if there's any signs of damage or leaks. If there's any damage or leaks they should be replaced. Be sure to check the rubber bushings at the top and bottom of the shock. If they are deteriorated it cold be time to replace them. If it's only 1 tire it's more likely a balance problem.

Shocks should last to at least 75,000 miles without problems. They are generally replaced as a set for an axle. I say a "set" because while most vehicles have 2 shock absorbers per axle some have 4.

The shocks are original and the coach has about 76k miles on it. I'm in touch with the great guy I bought it from to ask about when he may have last had an alignment done. But it doesn't track to one side or the other when I drive it.

Its been at 100lbs psi and is a 120max psi tire. So not over inflated.

Its in storage so I have some time to sort this out before hitting the road in earnest.
Old 12-23-2015, 09:00 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
I would be skeptical. Worn shocks can let the tire bounce a lot, which causes something called "cupping", round or oval spots where the tread is more worn that the surrounding tire surface. There will be multiple of these shallow spots around the circumference of the tire. It does NOT cause a uniform "rounded" effect. If the tire is rounded, meaning higher in the center than both edges, that indicates over-inflation. If only one edge is lower than the rest, it indicates a front end alignment problem.

These pictures and brief explanations may help:
Tire Tread Wear Patterns: Pictures | Causes
Thanks - overall the tires are in great shape, but I will have them carefully inspected. Its kept at 100lbs psi and max for this brand of tire is 120psi.

I may need to find a reputable company. There is a Michelin dealer near me - maybe they can analyze for me?
Old 12-23-2015, 09:18 AM   #8

Great looking dogs you have.

How old are the tires? What brand? Can you see the date code when the tire was made? As a rule of thumb, motorhome tires need to be replaced around 10 years of life. Michelin indicates 10 years, and Goodyear indicated to inspect tires every year after 5 years old. I had a tire "expert" tell me that as tires age they can wear in unusual ways. On my Goodyear tires I am seeing what they call "Rivering" and I am planning to replace them very soon due to this condition and age.

http://www.michelinrvtires.com/asset...ireArticle.pdf (forth paragraph)

http://www.goodyearrvtires.com/pdfs/tire-care-guide.pdf
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 03:45 PM   #9

The tires at nearly 8 yrs old and are Michelin

275.80 R (Radial) XZA3 load range H.
Old 12-23-2015, 06:24 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
8?

replace
jimbo2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 06:58 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo2013 View Post
8?

replace

You're not familiar with Michelin then ....
Old 12-23-2015, 07:55 PM   #12

Tires and shocks

An 8 yr old mh tire is considered 'used up' no matter how much mileage (or little) they have on them. There has been significant discussion lately about Michelin tires and side wall cracking. My tires, the same as yours, required replacing after 5 1/2 years. They looked almost new tread wise but the infamous cracking problem was occurring. And I took care of my tires. I would feel uneasy driving on 8 yr old Michelins.

Btw, I replaced my Michelins with Bridgestones.
Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 10:43 PM   #13

Thoughts for free ( I paid a lot to learn though). At 8 years replacing tires is a good idea. At 76,000 miles (a good thing really) definitely consider new shocks and wheel service (bearings and brakes and probably alignment). Do find a good, trustworthy service provider for trucks. Sounds scary but really is important. Michelins are one choice but there are many good choices and most are less expensive, some a lot less expensive. (Don't buy the motorhome tire propaganda, good quality truck tires in the right size and fresh are just fine.)
BigBadDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 10:57 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Here are some pictorial examples of tire issues and potential causes:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tire 1.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	33.7 KB
ID:	114817   Click image for larger version

Name:	tire.jpg