RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-14-2019, 09:49 AM   #1

Tires Class A Motorhome

Looking to replace the front tires on my class A 34 ft motorhome. The size of the tires are 245/70R/19.5. Any recommendations for ride and road noise .

Thanks
Lefty52
2009 Hurricane

Lefty 52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-14-2019, 09:56 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Our last rig had the 19.5's and we replaced them with the Cooper Roadmaster RM170's.

WinnieView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 02:19 PM   #3

I replaced all 6 tires from Hankook's AH11 to Firestone FS561 tires and the ride was greatly improved.

245/70/19.5 G rated.
jackreno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 02:35 PM   #4

I replaced the original Goodyear tires with Toyo M154 tires last summer. I had only bought the MH in May, so I can't provide a valid comparison to the Goodyear tires, but I find the Toyo tires to be quiet and they are doing very well. We went from Ohio to Florida in late January, and we're in the process of returning and the tires are just doing everything you would expect. They hold pressure very well, they are quiet on the road and I don't have any complaints. I went with bead balancing.

My rig is stored at a small trucking company and I know the owner since I've been doing business with him since 2012. He recommended the Toyo tires based upon his experience using them on his company rigs. They are reasonably priced...not the cheapest but far less expensive than Michelin or Goodyear tires and they Toyo does provide inflation tables for inflation based upon weight.
Brake Buddy, 2015 Chevy Malibu
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 11:50 AM   #5

Ran Toyo's and Hankook's on the F550 Pickups, both were quiet and held up well
Milford 47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 12:08 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
I am happy with Hercules 902.
Old 03-15-2019, 01:29 PM   #7

sbcwr,
I noticed you said you used bead balancing. My experience with bead balanced tires has not been good. I have since checked with several truck tire installers and they have stated that any tire under 22” really does get the benefit of a bead balanced tire.

I ended up taking my tires back, they pulled the beads out and manually balanced them (19.5) and then the issues went away. Sounds like your experience was ok however and maybe you also had a set of tires that was very decent to begin with!

1998 Georgie Boy Swinger/2005 Jeep Liberty
rjreiffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 01:41 PM   #8

Vintage RV Owners Club
2nd vote for Toyo M154 tires
fkloster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 06:35 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjreiffer View Post
sbcwr,
I noticed you said you used bead balancing. My experience with bead balanced tires has not been good. I have since checked with several truck tire installers and they have stated that any tire under 22” really does get the benefit of a bead balanced tire.

I ended up taking my tires back, they pulled the beads out and manually balanced them (19.5) and then the issues went away. Sounds like your experience was ok however and maybe you also had a set of tires that was very decent to begin with!
I think you meant to type "does not get the benefit". If so, the question that I would ask them is that the physics using beads doesn't change (it would seem to me) whether in a 22" or 19" tire. The tire is certainly spinning enough to cause centrifugal force to disperse the beads. I'm not a scientist...so I can't back up that thought. I understand where some bead systems have clogged valves. And, future experiences may change my opinion, but right now, it seems they're doing the job. But...you may be correct...perhaps I got lucky with 6 tires that are very well balanced without any assistance!
Brake Buddy, 2015 Chevy Malibu
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 07:06 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by scbwr View Post
I think you meant to type "does not get the benefit". If so, the question that I would ask them is that the physics using beads doesn't change (it would seem to me) whether in a 22" or 19" tire. The tire is certainly spinning enough to cause centrifugal force to disperse the beads. I'm not a scientist...so I can't back up that thought. I understand where some bead systems have clogged valves. And, future experiences may change my opinion, but right now, it seems they're doing the job. But...you may be correct...perhaps I got lucky with 6 tires that are very well balanced without any assistance!
You are right in the “does not get the benefit”. The three tire guys I talked to said that there is more centrifugal force in a larger tire and hence they do work there but in the smaller ones they work ok but at higher speeds than the average motorhome runs. However, technically the force of the beads is about 108ft/lbs (based on a 12oz bead bag) and the force is equal because the radius change makes up the difference because the RPM is slower on larger tires and hence the same force. All I know is that it seems to work for some and not others. I believe it has to be the quality of the tire that makes the difference if the beads work or not.

1998 Georgie Boy Swinger/2005 Jeep Liberty
rjreiffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 10:38 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Spartan Chassis
I run Michelin XRV’s. They cost more but you get ten years of service out of them. They ride super quiet and you will never mile them out.

Many “truck” folks wouldn’t even know about them as their needs are different than an RV.
Old 03-15-2019, 11:17 PM   #12

Take a look at Yokohama’s.
TXTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 06:12 AM   #13

Copper Roadmaster Rm 170 19.5 tires on our 35 footer installed 2 years and 6,000 miles ago. Ride and handling seem good, not noisy enough to hear over a big block Chevy and installed for around 1200! Also running centramatic balancers on all 4 corners, but that's a subject for another thread!
Old 03-16-2019, 07:19 PM   #14

Tire question:

I’m replacing my tires (225/70R19.5).

Last week I was at a local commercial truck tire dealer and he recommended Sumitomo ST718 tires. I asked him about a ‘Made in the USA’ tire that he would recommend that would be comparable to the Sumitomo tires, and he suggested Firestone FS561 tires.

My question is that he told me I should get 14 gauge sidewalls for added safety. The tires on my RV have always been 12 gauge, and the weight specs of the 12 gauge tires for those he recommended are sufficient for my rig based on the tire information sticker posted inside the RV. Is it really safer to go with a higher gauge tire? The 14 gauge tires are roughly $60 more/tire, so it’s not really a matter of the added cost, but more of I’m just wondering if there’s any drawbacks to going with a higher gauge tire that I’m not aware of because I really have no idea.

Sunny1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a, motorhome, tires