Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-26-2015, 09:36 PM   #1
epj

Tires, decision time.

Looking to replace the 245/70R/19.5 tires on my 36' Holiday Rambler. In finally getting some prices from a local truck tire dealer, I've pretty much narrowed down the options to two:
Toya. $2700 and change OTD
Double Coin. $1700 and change OTD

The dealer was quite complimentary of the Double Coin. Apparently sells a lot of them and doesn't have any problems with them.
I have to admit the price is attractive. I'd like to hear from anyone who has first hand experience with either brand. Dont need to hear how I need to bet my life only on the very best $5000 set of tires.
I'm a bit skeptical about the Chinese
tires. However, I do know that not everything that comes from there is complete junk. I might like to believe that, but it just isn't so.
If anyone has actual experience with either of these brands, your assessment of the value, quality, etc. would be appreciated. Got to make a move in the next couple of days. Thanks in advance.
epj is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-26-2015, 09:41 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have had Toyo's on my RV for almost 3 years and couldn't be happier.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 10:19 PM   #3

First I'd ask myself how many miles will be on them in 8 years when I throw them away?
89sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 10:33 PM   #4
Senior Dude

Triple E Owners Club
Of the two I'd go Toyo's. I've put them on 2 coaches.

Have a look at Hancook as well. I put them on my most recent coach. Mine are the 22.5 AH12's. Cost me $2600 OTD. 19.5's would be cheaper.
Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 12:43 AM   #5

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I've run Toyos for years. They give good wear and a nice ride. They originated in Japan, but have an American based plant for US sales. Not familiar with Double Coin.
'97 Pace Arrow Vision 36 with Tag Axel, Ford 460 with Banks Power Pack. 2000 Jeep Wrangler Toad, one miniature schnauzer that rules the roost and a wife that enjoys traveling. Retired FTCS (SS) USN and loving it. FMCA#461483
Shaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 03:23 AM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have Toyo's. No complaints
Old 06-27-2015, 04:43 AM   #7
epj

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89sandman View Post
First I'd ask myself how many miles will be on them in 8 years when I throw them away?
The 13 yo MH has 14,000 miles. I bought it last November and have used it some locally. I plan to make at least a couple of trips per year that would involve 2-300 miles of interstate driving. I'm too scared to go much over 60-65 mph. But, even so, those conditions are enough to generate heat. Especially summer in the south.
Old 06-27-2015, 08:58 AM   #8

I've used both Toyos and Hankooks in my truck fleet for years and were happy with both, though the Hankooks are a little cheaper. I have Hankooks on my 34' Winnie and started to get sidewall cracks early on. I've never been a fan of 19.5's but it's what's for dinner. So now will have to decide whether to stay with HK or try some Toyos.
Sugardog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 09:43 AM   #9

I also put Toyo on the RV I had that took 19.5 tires. Now I have a DP that take 22.5, I put Toyo on it. I have been very happy with them.
Old 06-27-2015, 10:01 AM   #10

Come on guys he didn't ask about Toyos he was asking about double coins, I've never had any but have run a trucking co. And we run some free stars out of China and they were great couldn't tell difference between them or good years or what ever you are running that you think are the best. My personal opinion is that all the tire makers have to make a tire up to a certain standard and that it will carry the load that it's made for. I think the China tires get a bad rap from myths that are passed down through generations even. I seen tires explode come apart michelins and good years and China tires but most always was something the operator did under inflated run over something or to old. I've also seen tires that had cracks and chunks missing that you swear would not run another mile , run till they were wore out. So get the tire that you can afford and be comfortable with and happy camping. The main thing I look at unless you are ful timing is you are not going to wear them out before they time out. Just my two cents not worth much but it's what I think
Poohbear7278 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 10:22 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Go back and read the last paragraph of the OP:

"If anyone has actual experience with either of these brands, your assessment of the value, quality, etc. would be appreciated. Got to make a move in the next couple of days. Thanks in advance"

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 10:45 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
epj.... Have you looked at Samson? Chinese brand, very aggressive pricing. No personal experience, but apparently well regarded by some trucking firms, and have received good reviews.

Fulltiming since '12
2002 DSDP 40, FL, Cat 3126
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 06:09 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
My tire man said beware of the Chinese fire crackers. He said Toyo's are a good tire and have been around for a while. He runs Toyo's on his class "A". That's what I have on my class "A" now. Their 1yr old and 5000 miles on them. So far so good.
Mike

10/18/19 Dutch has passed but still travels with us in our hearts :(
mikee409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 10:00 PM   #14
epj

Thanks for your input. I have a set of Toyo tires ordered. The Chinese tires are probably ok as well. The Mrs feels better with the Toyos.

Tags
tires