Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-03-2017, 02:42 PM   #1

Tires for 16 inch wheels

Hello all, what are your recommendations out there for my 1997 Fleetwood
Southwind 32V. We weighed it bringing it home. The scales showed 16,000 lb. Again 16 inch wheels.

Thanks

Magnafique
Magnafique is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-03-2017, 02:59 PM   #2

I see that you are from Oregon. My prior rv was similar to yours and I had excellent luck with Toyo open country from les schwab.
8hunters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 05:19 PM   #3

If you're on the pavement pretty much all the time, a high quality tire in a 16" is the BF Goodrich Commercial T/A. I ran them on my '95 Pace Arrow and they performed really well.Just be certain that you match up the load range and get the right ones. These coaches are known for riding at the limits of the tire design.
Old 09-03-2017, 05:59 PM   #4

Spartan Chassis
If you are going to keep your motorhome a while and can afford it, 19.5" commercial tires and wheels are a very good investment. A lot of commercial haulers use them. They also have a larger load carrying capacity and last much longer. The diameter is close to the same as 16" tires.

Don
2004 Pilot toad
4Fingers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 06:34 PM   #5

16" tires

Any name brand LT radial in the correct size AND load range (ply rating) should do fine. Plus, while I like the lower profile of the 19.5" tires, they can be quite a bit more to buy, and then you'd have to find 7 of the correct rims too. You'll also find the 16" tires have a much wider availability too.

What I'd avoid is the A/T or M/T style LT tires. While they may offer added traction for the driving wheels, they tend to "squirm" on those tall tread blocks until they've had a chance to harden up some. A good HT with deep grooves does best for a motor home as they tend to run cooler.
DryCreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 07:48 PM   #6

I bought 7 Firestone Transforce HT in 235/85r16E the highest load rating in 16" unless you go to the F rated tires, which are double the price.

Tags
tires