Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-04-2016, 10:07 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuhly View Post
Forget the Michelins. way over priced and over rated. Take a look at the Hankooks.
I loved the Michelins that came with our 03. Although it wasn't a good idea, i ran them for over 10 years before replacing. I really wanted to go Michelin again but the price was outrageous. Went with Bridgestones (about $120 per tire cheaper) and have been happy so far.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-04-2016, 01:29 PM   #16

Good friend of mine for 20 years is a big truck tire sales man. When I needed tires for my 08 safari 255/70-22.5 he said buy these road lux brand. They are Chinese tires. They replaced my Goodyears and I've been very pleased. Just got back from a 5,000 mile trip out west and they rode and handled just as good as the Goodyears. He sold them to me at cost $200 a tire. I mounted them my self and used balance beads. So far have 7,000 miles on them and they still look like new.
Old 12-04-2016, 01:58 PM   #17

Just returned from a trip and one of my three year old Michelin tires blew out the sidewall. I had to replace the tire, requested a Michelin from Coach Net, they were able to find a Goodyear. When I returned I took the tire to the selling dealer and was told it was from impact. I ask how he could determine impact and where was the damage. I was riddling on the interstate and had not hit anything. I was told to contact Michelin, which I did and was told to take it back to the selling dealer. While there, TCI the selling dealer, attempted to contact Michelin but were unable to make contact. I was told to contact Michelin and get them to contact the dealer. I sent Michelin two messages, they have not responded. I spent extra for the piece of mind and not to have problems. I don't think the extra money was well spent. It is not fun to have a blow out on a front tire at 60 MPH.
Darwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 12:05 PM   #18

Thanks for the great advice! I think I have narrowed the choice to Hankook AH 12 - 255/70 R 22.5. I am interested in the 275/70 R22.5 as an upgrade, but don't know the problems associated with doing so. Can anyone shed some light?

Any comments on problems or praises with the Hankook's?

Thanks.

Gary
Myabytude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 12:38 PM   #19

Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDi View Post
I'm on my second set of Bridgestones, it is a great tire and you don't have to take out a second mortgage to buy a set.

Were yours made in USA? I know that they have a plant in TN where they make both Firestone & Bridgestone truck tires using much the same equipment and rubber compounds.
Old 12-05-2016, 12:52 PM   #20

Commercial Member

Couple of posts from other tire threads

Here on inflation

RE tire brand. Don't forget that you may need service sometime over the next 6 - 8 years. If you only travel 100 miles then tires from "Billy-Jo Bob's Cheap Tire and Bait Emporium" may be OK but if you are 1,000 miles away and need help with your "Mud-Wimper XL" tires you will probably be out of luck and you may have to spend $400 to get new tire(s).

Something available nationally may be a better choice even if they cost $100 more.
Old 12-05-2016, 09:59 PM   #21

Michelin to Toyo

FWIW thought I’d share my experience on tires. People’s opinions vary, I realize it is as important as the Ford vs Chevy vs Mopar debates! Your mileage may vary as they say.

OEM tires on our coach were 6 ˝ years old with 72K miles and about 1/8 inch tread left. They were wearing evenly. Original plan was going to be replace them in our ex-home state of Oregon (at our ex-local Les Schwab) next spring to avoid paying sales tax in AZ. Looking at the tires closely, the fronts were developing a roughly 1” wide ring of micro-cracks all the way around the tire, about 1-2 inches from the rim. This band of cracks was very well developed on the fronts and starting on the rears and tag. Realizing that we had trips to N. Cal, Reno, and Vancouver BC planned before we get to Oregon next spring and looking at the tires, I decided to get new tires early. For the record, I run 110psi Front, 95psi Dual, 100psi tag.

OEM tires were Michelin XZA3 275/80 R22.5
I opted for Toyo M154 in 295/75 R22.5

The Toyos are a whole 0.3% larger in circumference, fit on the 8.25” rims and meet the requirements for minimum dual spacing. All the tires were Week 36 or 37 of 2016 manufacture so very fresh date stamps. Cost was $370.95 per tire. With mounting, balancing (balance beads), disposal fees, environmental taxes, FET taxes, AZ sales tax etc, total was $4008.72 out the door for 8 tires here in Lake Havasu, AZ.

Having just come back from the N. Cal trip of about 1400 miles round trip, I’m very happy with the Toyos. Nicely balanced, smooth ride, comparable to the Michelins.

PS Was going to start a whole new thread on "Tires Again" but figured it would fit here!

PSS Yes I need to update the mileage in my signature, over 73K miles now.
toddb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 08:41 AM   #22

Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myabytude View Post
Thanks for the great advice! I think I have narrowed the choice to Hankook AH 12 - 255/70 R 22.5. I am interested in the 275/70 R22.5 as an upgrade, but don't know the problems associated with doing so. Can anyone shed some light?

Any comments on problems or praises with the Hankook's?

Thanks.

Gary
Many people seem to forget that when running duals they need to consider the "minimum dual spacing" specification. Tires in a side by side i.e. dual position MUST have a certain amount of clearance between them or the tire to tire contact of the sidewall may lead to failure of BOTH tires. Going from 255 to 275 will probably mean you will not have the specified clearance. Only way to know is to check the wheel specifications from the manufacturer.

I will be writing a post to my blog later today on this topic ( thought I had previously covered this in the 10 posts that mention dual matching and application)
Old 12-06-2016, 08:58 AM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My RV came with Michelins when I bought it new last year. 3 weeks ago I had to swerve out the way from a vehicle in St. Louis. I was in the #1 lane next to a traffic island with sharp-edge curbs. Those curbs slashed my driver side front tire and the driver side rear outside tire.

I had to contact the only RV tire dealer who would replace them in the field. If I would have had the RV towed, it would have cost me an addition $390 as the tow company (through AAA) charges shop-to-shop. They didn't have Michelins, only Firestones. Since I was stuck between a rock and a hard place, I had to get them. The installer put both new tires in the front. So far, no problems with the Firestones during my trip back to L.A. via Kansas, Colorado, Utah and Arizona. Firestone would not be my first choice, but they are riding good so far.

One thing I found out during this experience, AAA RV is useless out of my home state. They are on a "reimbursement" basis. I have to find a better roadside assist company. I let my Good Sam roadside assistance lapse.
ArmandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 09:30 AM   #24

Forest River Owners Club
My coach came with Michelin XZA2's. They were great tires with no cracking, etc. When one developed a defect on the tread ("rib punch" as I recall) at 5 years I could not get the correct replacement so went with Continental HSLs. The Continentals each were at least $100 cheaper than the Michelins. I replace them with Continentals at the 7 year point, and they have served me very well. They ride well, handle well, and wear well. My coach is now 14 years old with 106,000 miles.
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 09:34 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemert View Post
The only tires I hear horror stories about are Michelins. Sidewall cracking seems to be a big issue at relatively young age.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
Those are old Michelin stories!
I'm on my 3rd set
CampDaven & Myabytude
Many of those "old Michelin stories" are TRUE.

I had 6 Michelins insalled on my coach in June of 2011 and had to replace them in Nov of 2014, (at only 42 months of age)...because all 6 sidewall cracked.
Woodchopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 10:13 AM   #26

Tires: Good 'n Bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodchopper View Post
CampDaven & Myabytude
Many of those "old Michelin stories" are TRUE.

I had 6 Michelins insalled on my coach in June of 2011 and had to replace them in Nov of 2014, (at only 42 months of age)...because all 6 sidewall cracked.

You are from MN. Grew up there!
Cold is not friendly to tires.
Were your tires covered when not rolling? What were the date codes? Do you use TPMS? Did you use tire treaments that deplete tire oils and resins?
If all the of the above were okay, you caught a bad batch. Goodyears had the same issues, plus "rivering".
If the cracks were not wider than 1/64 they were still okay. If wider, environmental, UV, and such may have taken a toll on them.
Hopefully Tireman9 can chime in after you answer the questions.
Best wishes!
Got snow?
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 11:39 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
You are from MN. Grew up there!
Cold is not friendly to tires.
Were your tires covered when not rolling? What were the date codes? Do you use TPMS? Did you use tire treaments that deplete tire oils and resins?
If all the of the above were okay, you caught a bad batch. Goodyears had the same issues, plus "rivering".
If the cracks were not wider than 1/64 they were still okay. If wider, environmental, UV, and such may have taken a toll on them.
Hopefully Tireman9 can chime in after you answer the questions.
Best wishes!
Got snow?
CampDaven
Here are the answers to your questions:

Were your tires covered when not rolling?
YES
What were the date codes?
Do you use TPMS?
NO...(but I always properly maintain my tire pressures).
Did you use tire treatments that deplete tire oils and resins?
No...(but I did use 303 Aerospace Protectant®).
If all the of the above were okay, you caught a bad batch.
I agree... (but one bad batch was enough for me).

If the cracks were not wider than 1/64 they were still okay.
I didn't measure the thousands of small cracks around/on the sidewalls of both sides of each tire.
However a Michelin tire dealer did measure the cracks and he took photos of the tires.
Those photos where sent to Michelin Customer care... who determined that all 6 of those then 40 month old Michelin tires where no longer safe to use.

Woodchopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 03:20 PM   #28

Commercial Member

Here is my post with more information on "Minimum Dual Spacing"

Let me know if you still have questions on this topic.

Tags
tires