Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-03-2016, 11:11 AM   #1

Tires: Good 'n Bad

Hello forum members.

I have a 2001 Holiday Rambler 34PBS. I recently purchased it so don't have much paperwork to refer to. Don't know the original owner or one after him, so can't really talk to someone about it. That's why IRV2 has been so helpful to me thus far. Thanks to all of you !

I need to replace tires and want the best riding/handling tires that are reasonably priced. The tires currently on the RV are Toyo 255/70R22.5. They are at least 5 years old and one loses air.

I know there are several brands out there including Toyo, Firestone Continental, Falken, Goodyear and Michelin. (in no particular order of preference at all) I am partial to Michelin because I have used them on my vehicles in the past, but that is not of great importance. I am looking for some good tires that will be safe, good riding/handling tires that are reasonably priced for the 5 years until I replace them.

There is a weight ticket for the RV, but it is in storage and I will get it out soon. I don't remember what it says offhand.

So what wisdom can the world of IRV2 impart to me on the best tires to buy and places to purchase in Austin, Texas vicinity?

I have read that the Toyos are stiff, the Goodyears have cupping and not found much on the others. I expect I will be looking for Load Range G or H.

All wisdom imparted to me is appreciated. (Some I might even remember, too )

We are moving from Austin to Washington state soon, so let me have it!!

Thank you!!

Gary
Myabytude is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-03-2016, 11:59 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
The only tires I hear horror stories about are Michelins. Sidewall cracking seems to be a big issue at relatively young age. I would add Hancook tires to your list. They are quality tires made in Korea. I've had mine for 3 years. They ride well once you get the inflation right. I've got about 15K miles on them with no issues that I can see. Good luck.
gemert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 12:02 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemert View Post
The only tires I hear horror stories about are Michelins. Sidewall cracking seems to be a big issue at relatively young age. I would add Hancook tires to your list. They are quality tires made in Korea. I've had mine for 3 years. They ride well once you get the inflation right. I've got about 15K miles on them with no issues that I can see. Good luck.

Those are old Michelin stories!
I'm on my 3rd set
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 01:04 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Forget the Michelins. way over priced and over rated. Take a look at the Hankooks.
stuhly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 01:17 PM   #5

We put bf Goodrich tires on today and so far so good ! Actually I find the ride much smoother but that may be just because they are new. The old ones were pushing 10 years and rubber gets hard with age.
Monacoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 02:12 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CampDaven View Post
Those are old Michelin stories!
I'm on my 3rd set
If you mean a couple of months ago I guess so. But I am not necessarily saying they are bad. I'm just saying that it is the only brand I hear a lot of complaints about. I used to hear Goodyear also but that seems to have stopped. I'm happy that you like yours.
gemert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 02:31 PM   #7

I have Goodyear as they came on our MH when we purchased it new. We have just over 30,000 miles on them and they look great. I run mostly Hancook on our fleet equipment and they too have a good track record for us at a really good price.

This tire debate will go on for years so just shop around and pick a name brand that fits your wallet as they all seem good.
RELHUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 03:09 PM   #8

I've had Michelin X-Energy tires on my Monaco (total of 8 tires) for just under 5 years. No cracking or other problems.

I replaced Goodyears that came standard but were wearing unevenly and cracking ('05 built coach, tires replaced in '12) and what I can say is the ride, noise level, and handling all improved significantly.

Now, I did add dynamic balancing to all axles, so the comparison is not 1:1, but I've been very happy with the Michelins and would buy them again.

I do strongly recommend the FMCA deal on Michelins.
distaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 06:58 PM   #9

Add Sumitomo to the good tire list. I've had excellent service from them.

I'd suggest you have individual wheel weights before buying tires. My recently sold Holiday Rambler was much heavier on the driver front than the passenger front, and the original tires were running right at the maximum weight on the driver front...and previous owner had several blowouts on that position. I upgraded tires and had no problems.

Fred
Old 12-03-2016, 07:58 PM   #10
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
I'm on my second set of Bridgestones, it is a great tire and you don't have to take out a second mortgage to buy a set.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 10:19 PM   #11

Dunlop's all position SP 348, they are priced pretty competitive.
gjetson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2016, 10:38 PM   #12

Foretravel Owners Club
Went with Toyo's,(8 tires)
Wait until you come thru Oregon, Les ScwaabTire, NO sales tax!
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 06:09 AM   #13

Whatever tires you do get you need to watch this video on how to take care of them to keep you safe and make them last as long as possible. I consider tires and their care one of the most important considerations when owning a MH. Everything you have rides them.

marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 09:13 AM   #14

Thank you all for your advice. Special thanks to Marjoa for the video.

The weight ticket from when the RV was new shows 7,900 lb on front axle and 14,820 lb on the rear axle. there is no indication whether it was fully loaded (which I don't know) or not. The GVWR for the vehicle is 26,000 lb. I didn't get the GAWR and will have to do that another day.

If I proportion out the actual versus the factory sticker, the front axle would be in the 9,000 lb range and the rear axle would be in the 17,000 lb range. I read without knowing the weight of the 4 corners of the RV that a factor of say 53% could be used to account for differences in each side. (this is an assumption and you know what that means ) That would put the front at 4,800 lb in round numbers and the rear at 4,500 lb. This is all based on a mythical proportion. Does anybody out there have the factory GAWR for a 2001 Holiday Rambler Ambassador 34 PBS ?

So now my dilemma is to convert that to a real tire size and tire pressure for the new tires. The old Toyos on the RV again are 255/70 R 22.5. Can someone help me determine the actual tire size I need for these loads, and what tire pressure is the correct one? I know different brands have different loads/tire pressures, so open to the brands that you all have experience with and trust .

I am interested in the FMCA/Michelin deal. How does that work?

Thank you IRV2 members for your great ideas!

Gary
Myabytude is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires