Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-29-2016, 08:06 AM   #15

Until you can get a good weight on the front axle, inflate the front tires at least to what the placard on the coach says or to the max pressure stated on the tire. What is the max pressure of your tires? Something is wrong to get that much temp increase in just 20 miles. With that much temperature increase, my guess is they are under-inflated. Better to be too high than too low till you can get it weighed.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-29-2016, 09:17 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by windsorbill View Post
Brad,

I'm in agreement with everyone else. You should weigh your coach, each corner is best, but each axle is what most people do, and adjust the tire pressure to the weight on each axle. You can go on the web and download your particular tile manufacture pressure chart. Don't go by the placard in your motorhome (if you have one). An under inflated tire will heat up very quickly and shorten the life rather dramatically, not to mention the risk of a failure.
Actually, most tire manufacturers states to never use less than the vehicles tire placard stated air pressure.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 09:36 PM   #17

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Actually, most tire manufacturers states to never use less than the vehicles tire placard stated air pressure.
In my RV and many vehicles I've owned, the federally mandated placard is the tire pressure for the maximum load of the axle. Since my weights aren't near the maximum, I think the manufacturer's recommendations for the actual load carried is more appropriate. It sure gives a better ride than the maximum pressures.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 06:38 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
In my RV and many vehicles I've owned, the federally mandated placard is the tire pressure for the maximum load of the axle. Since my weights aren't near the maximum, I think the manufacturer's recommendations for the actual load carried is more appropriate. It sure gives a better ride than the maximum pressures.
Goodyear states:
"Tire pressure should never be reduced below the vehicle manufacturer's recommended levels to support load conditions in order to improve the ride quality of a vehicle. The difference in ride quality is not significant. When minimum inflation pressure requirements are not met, tire durability and optimum operation can be affected."
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 09:35 AM   #19

I am not familiar with your MH. I did a quick search and guess it has 19.5" tires and is 33' long or so. About the same as mine.

Based on that, I run my fronts at 95# and the rears at 90#.

A quick low cost check would be to check the max pressure on your tire sidewalls. If possible, raise the fronts to 95# and go for a ride. You would get your answer in 20 miles.
Old 05-30-2016, 10:59 AM   #20

I feel better now. I got 125f readings on my crappie C-range tires on my boat trailer the other day.
ralphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 11:21 AM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
I took a shakedown run this weekend. The ambient was about 87F, with road temp of 135F (measured with laser thermometer). I have an F53 chassis with 16" tires, maximum cold psi of 80.

Going down the road the fronts were pretty close to the rear, with the right front a few degrees higher. All ran 110F-ish (measured with EEZRV TPMS). Braking is where things got interesting. Going through town and doing some hard traffic-light stops (towing dinghy, motorcycle, car) had the front tires heat up rapidly, with an observed high-water mark of 131F, although that number came back down as soon as we were rolling again out of town.

To double-check the TPMS readings I stopped to use the laser thermometer on the rotors and hubs. With a TPMS-reported 118F, the rotor came in at 154F (after stopping), and the hub at 135F. Mind you, the hub on these is integral to the rotor casting.

I didn't mention before that I'd replaced the rotors, calipers, hoses, pads, DOT 5.1 fluid, wheel bearings, synthetic grease.

I can't say I'm totally happy with this observed behavior, but there really isn't anything significantly worrisome in the actual data. There's lots of reports of this chassis having marginal brakes prone to heat.
Brad Felmey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 11:23 AM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
I forgot to add that the tread surface on all tires were exactly the same at 135F, regardless of what the TPMS said.
Old 05-31-2016, 12:14 PM   #23

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Felmey View Post
I took a shakedown run this weekend. The ambient was about 87F, with road temp of 135F (measured with laser thermometer). I have an F53 chassis with 16" tires, maximum cold psi of 80.

I didn't mention before that I'd replaced the rotors, calipers, hoses, pads, DOT 5.1 fluid, wheel bearings, synthetic grease.

I can't say I'm totally happy with this observed behavior, but there really isn't anything significantly worrisome in the actual data. There's lots of reports of this chassis having marginal brakes prone to heat.
Brad on my Mtr Hm when going through a town or in heavy traffic, I use "Tow Haul" and gear down and use the brakes as little as possible. Same thing when going down a steep Hill, I gear down and use "Tow Haul". I stay off of the brakes as much as possible. I might add I also have a camera mounted looking out the windshield in case someone cuts me off and I hit them.

Mel
Old 05-31-2016, 12:39 PM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhbell View Post
Brad on my Mtr Hm when going through a town or in heavy traffic, I use "Tow Haul" and gear down and use the brakes as little as possible. Same thing when going down a steep Hill, I gear down and use "Tow Haul". I stay off of the brakes as much as possible. I might add I also have a camera mounted looking out the windshield in case someone cuts me off and I hit them.

Mel
Yes, I experimented as well with downshifting well in advance. It made a big difference, but sometimes there just wasn't time to do so when the lights were turning.

I have a camera mounted to the front license plate. Brilliant minds.
Old 05-31-2016, 03:41 PM   #25

You do realize that the external TPMS temp readings are pretty much useless as they are moderated by the moving ambient air. If you were to stop and wait a few minutes the sensor temp will increase just because the air is no longer moderating it. Sometimes, or should I say most of the time, including myself, first time users of TPMS try to read too much into the readings. After five years of use, I do not pay much attention to the temps, but look at the pressures before starting out for the day and watch for changing trends in the psi of the tires.
Old 05-31-2016, 03:58 PM   #26

Freightliner Owners Club
A TPMS cannot measure a meaningful temperature since it is only sampling air at the end of the Schrader valve. Valve extensions spinning around in the airstream could have a dramatic effect on temperature at the sensor. It is nice to read the temperature in case a brake is dragging but otherwise the only thing you should monitor is pressure.
jones47172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 08:19 PM   #27

Bridgestone used to have the "Tire Doctor" posting FAQ's on their site.

Cannot find him any longer, but he stated that properly inflated truck/bus tires should run at up to 60 degrees above ambient when they are fully warmed up (20 minutes+ at highway speed").

That is what I have used to judge tire temps with my IR thermometer.

At the height of summer, my six will all be within 5 degrees of each other, around 130 degrees with ambient temps in the 80s to low 90s.

As this is below the 60 degree delta, it has been OK to proceed down the road.
Old 05-31-2016, 10:21 PM   #28

I would check the toe in....

Tags
tires