Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-14-2018, 08:08 PM   #1

Tires on the road

I'm traveling through the south from Mn. ,am currently in the Nashville area and have noticed My driver side steer tire is worn un evenly , new to DP , looking for advise on where to look for tires (tire company ,truck repair ) And I'm assuming it would be best to replace both tires . they are dated 15 Micheillins . and some are saying truck tires cheaper is there a big difference between the two
RichieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-14-2018, 09:00 PM   #2

First thing I would do is correct whatever is causing them to wear unevenly.
60sumtin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 09:02 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
truckdown.com

Should help you find a shop. Without a good alignment you will be doing it again.

Good Luck
Twomed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 12:05 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieB View Post
I'm traveling through the south from Mn. ,am currently in the Nashville area and have noticed My driver side steer tire is worn un evenly , new to DP , looking for advise on where to look for tires (tire company ,truck repair ) And I'm assuming it would be best to replace both tires . they are dated 15 Micheillins . and some are saying truck tires cheaper is there a big difference between the two
You don't say what year/make/model/chassis of coach. There's probably around a hundred threads on here about tires, makes, sizes and all that. Our coach, an '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the C-7 330HP CAT, came with proprietary Michelin 255 80R 22.5 tires. Well, after about 6.5 years and only about 41,000 miles, they were looking pretty shoddy on both the tread part and the sidewall parts.

So, I too needed at least two fronts while on our 6,500 mile trip last year and we were far from home when I needed them. After sitting at a campground and doing some research, I found out that the Yokohama RY-103 265 75 225. LRG tire was almost identical in all dimensions. And, not only that but, they were SERIOUSLY cheaper than the Michelin junk proprietary ones.

So, I got two while on the road from, JAM Best One (truck tire center) in Toledo OH. They treated us just great. I'd have bought all 6 but, the two is all they had and they had DOT dates that were only a couple of months old. I couldn't have asked for a better deal.

But, anyways, I'd surely not be stuck on Michelins. You can find more choice and better deals on just about any other tire maker out there.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 07:13 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

You can use any brand of tire, and for most applications there is no substantive difference between a "truck tire" and an "RV tire". Yeah, there are truck tires designed for specific purposes that might not be a good choice, e.g. Off Road, but the general use truck tires, often referred to as the "regional delivery" application type, are fine. So are tires designed for the coach & bus application.

This description of commercial tire applications mayhelp:
https://www.bfgoodrichtrucktires.com...s/application/

For a motorhome, you are more concerned with traction and resistance to resistance to hitting curbs and potholes rather than high mileage.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 07:29 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by 60sumtin View Post
First thing I would do is correct whatever is causing them to wear unevenly.
This.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 07:32 AM   #7

my coach is a 2006 Newmar Dutchstar 4023 , on the scales my front axle weighed in just over 12k #s. my tires are 305/70R22.5 Michelins , I'm at a Best one tires shop in Mursfreeboro Tn . they say I pretty much have to stay with These exact tire size which is a exclusive Rv tire size . So I'm kind of lost . and they do not have this size
RichieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 09:12 AM   #8

Definitely always run the steer tires in pairs, never mismatch. You may have a wheel bearing issue instead of alignment.
lwmcguire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 09:35 AM   #9

Entegra Owners Club
When I checked Michelin for a dealer near me, they sent me to Love's. You might check with them. Regarding size, you need to go with what it says on the placard located in the coach somewhere around the driver's seat.
GRedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 10:57 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRedman View Post
When I checked Michelin for a dealer near me, they sent me to Love's. You might check with them. Regarding size, you need to go with what it says on the placard located in the coach somewhere around the driver's seat.
Well, not really.
I and many, many on here and other RV forums have deviated from the size stipulated on that wall mounted placard. Guess what, no one's died because of the deviation. As I stated earlier, we had the junk Michelin 255s when we bought the coach and, changed to the Yokohama 265s and the coach handles absolutely flawless and, according to the GPS in the coach, I'm almost dead on the speedometer in the coach too. So, yes, you can deviate from that placard, within reason.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 02:03 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
Well, not really.
I and many, many on here and other RV forums have deviated from the size stipulated on that wall mounted placard. Guess what, no one's died because of the deviation. As I stated earlier, we had the junk Michelin 255s when we bought the coach and, changed to the Yokohama 265s and the coach handles absolutely flawless and, according to the GPS in the coach, I'm almost dead on the speedometer in the coach too. So, yes, you can deviate from that placard, within reason.
Scott
Good advice! I did an internet search and found you have a choice of at least 6 brands.

For example: Products

The key is insuring the tire can caring the rated load.

My Yokohama RY023 that came with the new to us MH. It is a slightly higher load rated tire than on the placard. With the placard size I limited choices but with the slightly different size I had over 20 different brands to choose from.

Also tires can be put on your MH just about anywhere, they will come to you.
Old 10-18-2018, 02:02 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
You don't say what year/make/model/chassis of coach. There's probably around a hundred threads on here about tires, makes, sizes and all that. Our coach, an '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the C-7 330HP CAT, came with proprietary Michelin 255 80R 22.5 tires. Well, after about 6.5 years and only about 41,000 miles, they were looking pretty shoddy on both the tread part and the sidewall parts.

So, I too needed at least two fronts while on our 6,500 mile trip last year and we were far from home when I needed them. After sitting at a campground and doing some research, I found out that the Yokohama RY-103 265 75 225. LRG tire was almost identical in all dimensions. And, not only that but, they were SERIOUSLY cheaper than the Michelin junk proprietary ones.

So, I got two while on the road from, JAM Best One (truck tire center) in Toledo OH. They treated us just great. I'd have bought all 6 but, the two is all they had and they had DOT dates that were only a couple of months old. I couldn't have asked for a better deal.

But, anyways, I'd surely not be stuck on Michelins. You can find more choice and better deals on just about any other tire maker out there.
Scott

Scott, try multiple thousands.
Old 10-18-2018, 04:17 AM   #13

Uneven wear on tires indicates there is a problem, usually alignment or balance. The problem needs to be addressed or you will find a new set of tires showing uneven wear as well.

Karen & Allen Van Zandt
txcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 10:15 PM   #14

Get a 4 wheel-well you know, alignment done. My tires were wearing a bit oddly before the alignment, which revealed the rear axle was 3/4" out of alignment, front was barely out of specs. Afterwards, my new replacement tires are still looking like new.
The alignment tech should check all steering components for out-of-spec wear first, if they are on the ball.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires