RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-16-2019, 11:12 AM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Tried that, none of the local Les Schwab centers would touch tires bought elsewhere. Claimed it was a company wide policy.
Obviously, it was not a company wide policy in October of 2014. Further, they recently did leak repair on them a few weeks ago. Stupid hoses. Maybe it's a company wide policy in your local area, but not in Layton, UT.

TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-16-2019, 11:17 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmiles View Post
Who did you get to install them?
Went to a Love's tire shop in Troutdale, Oregon. They were happy to mount and spin balance for $40 each. They are 22.5 tires. I asked if it was just local or all Love's that would install tires they didn't sell and was told that yes, all Love's.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : http://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 01:40 AM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
I just recently went through purchasing tires online. I purchased six Goodyear G670 RV tires. When they arrived, I checked the DOT dates on the tires. Two of the tires were manufactured during the 22nd week of 2011. Not a typo. Needless to say, I sent those two tires back. The other four tires were manufactured right around the 40th week of 2017. Ironically, a friend told me about a local tire business who was able to get me the additional two tires I need at a better price, and they were manufactured right around the same time as the other four tires I kept.

Bottomline - In the future, I am going to search long and hard locally first.

Firestone Airbags, Hellwig front/rear Anti-Sway Bars,
Rear Trac Bar, Safe-T-Plus, and 480 watt solar system.
Rossi6998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 07:13 AM   #18
Ex Millwright / Army Vet

Buying tires online? Not for me Thank You.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossi6998 View Post
I just recently went through purchasing tires online. I purchased six Goodyear G670 RV tires. When they arrived, I checked the DOT dates on the tires. Two of the tires were manufactured during the 22nd week of 2011. Not a typo. Needless to say, I sent those two tires back. The other four tires were manufactured right around the 40th week of 2017. Ironically, a friend told me about a local tire business who was able to get me the additional two tires I need at a better price, and they were manufactured right around the same time as the other four tires I kept.

Bottomline - In the future, I am going to search long and hard locally first.
Exactly.

I've never understood the "buy tires cheap online" thing. I personally find buying tires online one of those "penny wise, pound foolish" things.
I mean....Ok, so you find some tires that are say $10ea. cheaper. I don't know pick your own number. $20 cheaper, $30 cheaper. I don't care.
• Then they ship, now you wait
• Company calls or sends email...whoops thought we had 6 tires only had 5, back ordered will be in next week. Or pick your own excuse they commonly give
• Now you're going to have to be home when they arrive OR call around to several shops that will receive them and install them for you
• What are you going to do when you have multiple DOT dates like the above example...Make more phone calls, ship those back, wait for the exchanges to come in and say sorry to the shop they were delivered to and ask them to please hold the rest of the tires for you till the replacements come in
• Then keep checking to see if the replacements have been shipped and then call the tire shop to get the right guy on the phone to confirm the new replacements have come in
• Make new appointment for install
• If shipped to your house, now you have to load them up and take them to a tire shop. Yeah that's going to be fun putting 6 of these big bad boys in the MH OR finding a friend with a truck
• Then if something is wrong with one of tires when mounting, the tire shop can't do anything about it because they didn't procure them for you

I mean seriously? Who has all this time and possible hassle factor. I'll go to a reputable, professional tire shop like Southern Tire or any number of other tire shops that will give me the tires I want, at a great price, installed and out the door in about 2 or 3 hours. Like many of you say "easy peasy".

Online purchasing is a great thing for sure. "FOR SOME THINGS". But for tires...I'll pass.

Oh boy here comes the haters I can just see it now.
TEAM Martin & Joanie, FTers, RVM#181
2012 WGO Vista 35F, 5 ST, Toyo M122's/duallys, Centramatics (all around), TPMS, ScanGuage II, Safe T Plus, SS Rear Trac Bar, CHF (F/R), Koni FSD's, 2017 FORD Fiesta Toad, Escapees
Making Traveling, FTing and Our Motorhome "GREAT AGAIN".
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 07:51 AM   #19

I agree. A good local dealer will beat the online prices 90% of the time. Simple Tire wants $482 for a 295/80/22.5 Toyo M144 tire with free shipping. I replaced mine last summer for $387 each from a local dealer. They also treated me well for mounting and balancing. Ended up at $453/ tire out the door including sales tax. Not sure why anyone would pay more online and then deal with the hassle of paying someone to mount them.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 07:45 PM   #20

Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
I guess you could say I bought online from a dealer. I bought these online through Walmart, and will be there first thing in the morning to get them installed.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Toyo-M154...28-N/653892673

Going to have them install beads, and these valve stems.

DL3FCFR Chrome Duallyvalve Kit w/Front Stems

Not sure how this is going to go, but we will see. I've been assured if the date codes are not to my liking, I can refuse them for a full refund, and shipping was free. I've had these tires before, and really liked them. There was no local dealer in my town that had them, though one dealer told me they could order them, but not install them. Their price per tire was $100 more, and they had no interest in any kind of price match.

It's not always price, although $100 per tire, and being able to actually install them was considerable to me. Sometimes the tires we want are just not available locally.

Tags
tires