Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-28-2015, 12:49 PM   #15

I don't have the experience or the time into RV'ing like some of you do but between two motorhomes and almost 50 thousand miles on Michelins, I have had absolutely no problems or issues with my tires. I am anal about tire pressures and track how much weight is on the axles.

They are expensive, but my family and I are worth it. It is the one area I will not try to save a buck on. YMMV.

Bob

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-28-2015, 12:50 PM   #16
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
There are two item on my coach that I don't go cheap on. Brakes and tires. That doesn't mean expensive is better. Just Sayin'!!
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 02:21 PM   #17

There's been enough horror stories of every single tires brand, including "premium brands" that, in my opinion, there is no "great" tire. It's far, far more important to be diligent on your tire pressures and avoid kerbing your tires than any brand. I would never waste money again on premium tires. If I wanted maximum safety, the really smart thing to do is put on new tires every 3 years, period.

Steve
Old 03-28-2015, 02:41 PM   #18

American Coach Owners Club
Every great thing that has been said about expensive big name tires has also been said about the cheapest Chinese brands on the market, but some feel better about spending more with the age old mindset that you always get what you pay for. Also in case of failure, you can always feel that you bought the very best for your peace of mind.
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 10:18 PM   #19

I'm old enough to remember when "Made in Japan" meant poor quality too. Now, all but the most recalcitrant among us have to admit that in most cases, Japanese products are as good as, or better than any in the world. That applies to automobiles, motorcycles, machine tools, appliances, and yes, tires.

Here we are, halfway through the second decade of the 21st century. How long will it take people to recognize that the Chinese have arrived at where the Japanese were not that long ago?

The Chinese manufacturers built 14 million vehicles for their own domestic market in 2013. If you think they're all running around on inferior tires, you're delusional. The Chinese tires on my coach all have DOT stamps on them. If we can't believe that means something, then why do we have a DOT?

I don't really care what tires anyone buys. I just get really hot under the collar when some folks infer that I'm somehow putting them, or anyone else, at risk by buying tires from a manufacturer that doesn't have a multi-million dollar advertising budget.

Take care of your tires. Keep the pressure where it should be, based on the weight they're carrying, don't run over road debris, and you'll be fine. That applies to all brands.
Old 03-29-2015, 08:50 AM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
What do you think about Hercule tires ....
Frabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 09:20 AM   #21

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frabo View Post
What do you think about Hercule tires ....
If you're talking genuine Chinese Hercules, I'm running four on the drive axle and they have been as good as any thus far. Best price ever paid for tires and got them from Amazon. Local shop mounted and balanced them for a reasonable price and they have been all over the country.
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 09:40 AM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
The POWER KING brand also makes the infamous TOWMAX ST tires. Do a search and you will find dozens of cases of where the relatively new tires blew out and shredded the side of the 5th wheel, costing the owners $1000's. I have no knowledge of their MH tires and wasn't even aware they made them until this topic. However, I would not put anything made by them on my rig. I was fortunate to learn about their problems prior to delivery and removed them before my 1st trip out with our new 5th wheel. I traded the Tow Max tires for some concrete work.
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 09:53 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMTTRANSPORT View Post
If your worried about price then buy the cheap ones, there's no such thing as a "Good Deal" you get what you pay for....
DMTTRANSPORT
When I bought 6 Michelin tires in 2011 I got MORE than I paid for, (and FAR MORE than I expected)...CRACKED SIDEWALLS 3 YEARS LATER.
Mel
'96 Safari, on 6 new, (4 month old), GOOD tires.....
(aka: NOT Michelins).
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 11:23 AM   #24

I used powerking tires from Les Schwab when we had a 5th wheel they wore rather quickly every 6 months I needed new tires.
Old 03-30-2015, 06:48 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
DMTTRANSPORT
When I bought 6 Michelin tires in 2011 I got MORE than I paid for, (and FAR MORE than I expected)...CRACKED SIDEWALLS 3 YEARS LATER.
Mel
'96 Safari, on 6 new, (4 month old), GOOD tires.....
(aka: NOT Michelins).
No where in my post do I mention Michelin Tires....and the only bad thing I hear about the Michelin are cracks in the side wall?
Old 03-30-2015, 08:20 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMTTRANSPORT View Post
No where in my post do I mention Michelin Tires....and the only bad thing I hear about the Michelin are cracks in the side wall?

And zipper blowouts.
mike brez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 08:56 AM   #27

Fleetwood Owners Club
I'm with Mel and Mike. Wouldn't have a Michelin if they were free.
stuhly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 09:03 AM   #28

Tires- Power King vs. Michelin??

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuhly View Post
I'm with Mel and Mike. Wouldn't have a Michelin if they were free.

My Michelins were not free.
They are 3 years old.
No cracks.
Gee, I feel so left out!
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1427727750.743114.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	90029
The tales of woe do not always go forward in time.
Much like "I will never drive that rough highway X ever again", even though it has been fixed.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power, tires