Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-13-2011, 07:12 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Tires rubbing on w-22 after replacing

Hi all, I thought all was well after replacing my 235/80/22.5 Mich with a 255/75/22.5 load rating was higher ride was fine....Noww while making right turns the right front tire is rubbing the fender. It only happens when the unit rolls to that side. the new tires are about 1/2" shorter but also 1/2" wider. My question to the forum is,,has anyone found a way to prevent so much rolling on a workhorse chassis w-22.. my shocks are original plan on replacing them soon. not sure if air bags are the way to go or not. truck spring shop gave me a price of $1,400 to add a spring or $1,600 for air bags. looking for advise.. find all kinds on the net but seems everyone has a different opinion. seems I trust the advise here..

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-13-2011, 07:28 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I put Sumosprings on the front for about $175. I got about 1/2" static compression, which translates to lift. They would also provide a lot more support when the frame wants to roll that way. Perhaps enough to prevent your problem. The install is not too difficult. If you decide to go that way, pm me, and I will give a couple of hints to help.

Old 07-13-2011, 07:32 PM   #3

Did you make this change on the drive axle as well? I'd be a little concerned about narrowing the gap between my duals by 40mm... I know I couldn't do it safely on my motorhome.

Steve
Old 07-13-2011, 08:40 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Rear axle clearance

Yes I did change the rear tires also, After finding the problem on the front I checked the rear duals. there is at least 2" clearance much to my supprise. So I hope this will be no issue. thanks for the thought though
Old 07-14-2011, 05:18 AM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Stabilizers can help to minimize the roll but it would be a trial and error process. If returning the tires is out of the question, I would consider using a rear stabilizer to keep roll to a minimum. It's also possible to change-out suspension components to add some clearance between your tires and the wheel wells but there are no guarantees that it would work under all conditions. Let us know how things work out.

Jack
Old 07-14-2011, 08:18 AM   #6

I also put the 255's on my W22 GulfStream. They slightly rub the front fenders under slow speed turn and jounce. I am sure that new shocks would help and wouldnt do anything until I got that done. Slowing down during the negotiation of a turn helps!

Chris
Old 07-14-2011, 11:15 AM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
As this is an issue with the Workhorse chassis, Moderator, perhaps a move to the Workhorse Forum? There will be more informed answers there.
Old 07-14-2011, 12:34 PM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Please note that the 2003 chassis (W20 and W22) had a 2 inch front stabilizer shaft. Often called an anti sway bar. In September of 2003 WH changed to a 2.5 inch bar.
If your chassis has the 2 inch bar I would strongly recommend that you have the 2.5 inch bar installed. I did and it made a huge improvement in roll or side to side sway.

My OEM shocks (Monroe) were wearing out at 40,000 miles and the side to side roll was getting pretty bad. I replaced them with Koni FSD shocks and that helped the roll problem a lot. The ride is a lot rougher than the Monroe shocks though.
Old 07-14-2011, 12:50 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkmesser View Post
As this is an issue with the Workhorse chassis, Moderator, perhaps a move to the Workhorse Forum? There will be more informed answers there.
This has to do with an oversize tire problem and all chassis owners may contribute to ideas and a possible solution.
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 02:31 PM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
New shocks on the way

Thanks for all the good advise, I have ordered new Bilstien shocks for front and rear. (Pondered over KONI vs. Bilstien for days) But thats for another day. Also called the tire dealer again and he said he would make it right. Will let all know how these work for us.

Thanks the Ford's
Old 07-22-2011, 08:40 AM   #11

IMHO air bag suspension is the way to go. The ride quality is light years ahead of steel springs and will be much easier on your rig. With an air bag system there should be fewer mechanical parts (steel on steel) which require lurication and maintenance. The commercial transport system on the highways today uses air bag suspension almost exclusively. There is a reason for that. Your rig will thank you and you will notice a real improvement in ride quality.
Old 07-22-2011, 11:56 AM   #12

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Can you trim the fender? My fender is about 2" wide, and I have about a good 3/4" I can trim off untill I get to the inside of the wall. All the other solutions are good, but it may be as simple as triming the fender lip to start.
Old 07-22-2011, 12:03 PM   #13
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricane Owner View Post
Can you trim the fender? My fender is about 2" wide, and I have about a good 3/4" I can trim off untill I get to the inside of the wall. All the other solutions are good, but it may be as simple as triming the fender lip to start.
That's the option I would vote for.

How did the 1/2" shorter effect your speedometer reading?
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 01:50 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by millred1 View Post
Hi all, I thought all was well after replacing my 235/80/22.5 Mich with a 255/75/22.5 load rating was higher ride was fine....Noww while making right turns the right front tire is rubbing the fender. It only happens when the unit rolls to that side. the new tires are about 1/2" shorter but also 1/2" wider. My question to the forum is,,has anyone found a way to prevent so much rolling on a workhorse chassis w-22.. my shocks are original plan on replacing them soon. not sure if air bags are the way to go or not. truck spring shop gave me a price of $1,400 to add a spring or $1,600 for air bags. looking for advise.. find all kinds on the net but seems everyone has a different opinion. seems I trust the advise here..

This is (not) a true story;
Man went to the DR and said when he put his arms above his head it gave him pain; asked the DR what he could do to cure the pain. DR said don't put your arms over your head and the pain will go away. Man did that and sure enough his pain went away.
To cure your problem; don't make right turns.

Tags
tires