Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-10-2015, 09:31 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennLever View Post
Attached below at pictures taken all the way around one tire. The only date code I found was DOT OD K D12.
Not sure what you think is not adding up.
GlennLever
One thing that is not "adding up" is the strange/unusual DOT date code on the tires in your pictures.
Mel
'96 Safari

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-10-2015, 09:37 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
GlennLever
One thing that is not "adding up" is the strange/unusual DOT date code on the tires in your pictures.
Mel
'96 Safari
My experience with date codes is this> that date code resembles date codes prior to year 2000. I could be wrong, Where is the real tire expert 'Tireman9'?

Old 12-10-2015, 09:43 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoSRT10 View Post
My experience with date codes is this> that date code resembles date codes prior to year 2000. I could be wrong, Where is the real tire expert 'Tireman9'?
That's what I was thinking too but surely these tires weren't made in the 1990's.
Possibly meant for a market outside the U.S. or something?
Old 12-10-2015, 10:04 AM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The "real" dot code is on the other side of the tire.

Mike
Old 12-10-2015, 10:09 AM   #19

Based upon the spelling of the tire(tyre) manufacturer,(and the odd DOT code which does not follow US tire dating regulations) I would not be surprised if these are gray/black market tires that were not certified to be sold in the USA.
Old 12-10-2015, 10:18 AM   #20

My date code looks like this on my Samson's
11th week of 2012

1998 36ft Country Coach Magna #5499
Gillig chassis with a Detroit series 40
2002 F250 CC 7.3 PSD
mike brez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 10:32 AM   #21

Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Tires Samson GL283A Big Problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerBoater View Post
Based upon the spelling of the tire(tyre) manufacturer

Hong Kong British English, not American English. Still easier to read than Chinese. The plant code "0D" is registered with the DOT, so black/gray market is very unlikely.

Mike
2000 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40PBD
Freghtliner XC, CAT 3126B
slowmachine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 10:59 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike brez View Post
11th week of 2012
mike brez
Now we're getting somewhere.
If DOT OD T D22 means the 11th week of 2012 on your Samson tires...what does DOT OD K D12 on the OP's Samson tires mean??
Mel
'96 Safari
Old 12-10-2015, 11:01 AM   #23

Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Tires Samson GL283A Big Problems

Quote:
mike brez
Now we're getting somewhere.
If DOT OD T D22 means the 11th week of 2012 on your Samson tires...what does DOT OD K D12 on the OP's Samson tires mean??Mel
'96 Safari

Mel, look about three inches to the right for the date code, 1112 in an oval frame.

Mike
slowmachine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 11:14 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmachine View Post
Mel, look about three inches to the right for the date code, 1112 in an oval frame.
Mike
slowmachine
Got it.
Thanks ...I'll do that... (if the OP posts a pic of his date codes).
Mel
'96 Safari
Old 12-10-2015, 12:51 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennLever View Post

I have forwarded this information to the tire dealership that is trying to get an adjustment on these tires.

Not sure what you think is not adding up.
First, I meant no offense by my reply, and I apologize if it sounded like I did. It's just that this is the first time I've ever heard of this problem on Samson tires, and I'm very interested in the details.

If you see Mike Brez's post above, you will see that the actual date code is cast on a separate oval-shaped insert in the tire mold. This is because they have to change it every week. It is a couple inches to the right of the DOT OD K D12 in your picture. Be aware that the code may only appear on one side of the tire, so you might need to look at the other sidewall to find it. You said that your tire tech verified that these were dated 2013, so they probably were, but I'm still interested in knowing the week they were made.

The other thing that didn't add up, to me anyway, was what your dealer was telling you about getting a reply from Guizhou Tire Co. North America. I exchanged several e-mails with them at the address I gave you above, and always received a prompt and straightforward reply to my questions. There was no mention of Georgia or Sri Lanka or anywhere else. My first thought was that your dealer might be stringing you along, hoping that you'd buy whatever brand of tires he carries. Now you say you have a good working relationship with this dealer, so that's probably not the case, but I didn't know that. I suspect the information off the web site will get you the real scoop.

Now if it does turn out that GTCNA is giving you the runaround on an obvious warranty problem, then that's the kind of information that would be very useful to those of us who use or are considering buying this brand of tire! Thanks for posting, and please keep us advised of the outcome of this issue.
Old 12-10-2015, 01:22 PM   #26
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
GlennLever
Mel
'96 Safari
The date code is strange, posts further down say to look to the right of this stamping and/or on the other side of the tire. I will do that on Sunday and post pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfire1339 View Post
The "real" dot code is on the other side of the tire.

Mike
I will look on the other side of the tire and post pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerBoater View Post
Based upon the spelling of the tire(tyre) manufacturer,(and the odd DOT code which does not follow US tire dating regulations) I would not be surprised if these are gray/black market tires that were not certified to be sold in the USA.
If it turns out that this is true I will take another shot at the RV saler if he is still in business

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike brez View Post
11th week of 2012

I will post pictures on Sunday, your tires are H rated which is what my coach requires

Quote:
slowmachine
Got it.
Thanks ...I'll do that... (if the OP posts a pic of his date codes).
Mel
'96 Safari
Pictures on Sunday

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBob View Post
First, I meant no offense by my reply, and I apologize if it sounded like I did. It's just that this is the first time I've ever heard of this problem on Samson tires, and I'm very interested in the details.

If you see Mike Brez's post above, you will see that the actual date code is cast on a separate oval-shaped insert in the tire mold. This is because they have to change it every week. It is a couple inches to the right of the DOT OD K D12 in your picture. Be aware that the code may only appear on one side of the tire, so you might need to look at the other sidewall to find it. You said that your tire tech verified that these were dated 2013, so they probably were, but I'm still interested in knowing the week they were made.

The other thing that didn't add up, to me anyway, was what your dealer was telling you about getting a reply from Guizhou Tire Co. North America. I exchanged several e-mails with them at the address I gave you above, and always received a prompt and straightforward reply to my questions. There was no mention of Georgia or Sri Lanka or anywhere else. My first thought was that your dealer might be stringing you along, hoping that you'd buy whatever brand of tires he carries. Now you say you have a good working relationship with this dealer, so that's probably not the case, but I didn't know that. I suspect the information off the web site will get you the real scoop.

Now if it does turn out that GTCNA is giving you the runaround on an obvious warranty problem, then that's the kind of information that would be very useful to those of us who use or are considering buying this brand of tire! Thanks for posting, and please keep us advised of the outcome of this issue.
I e-mailed the contact information to the tire dealer and got his responce at 7:03 AM this morning.

" Hey, thanks so much for that...I've been going through my local Samson distrib. and that is getting me nowhere. I'll try this today...I'll let you know. Thanks again.
"

I should have no problems getting to the back side of the tire for pictures. I built six of these ramps and the motor home is quite high of the ground to allow access.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_9132.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	113839  

GlennLever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 01:28 PM   #27

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hard and potentially expensive lesson learned. My coach was an out of state repo that was acquired by the dealer at auction. Had 18,000 miles and six bald tires. Suspect somewhere along the line a flat bed wrecker got a fairly new set of 19.5 tires and wheels.

Rather than negotiate replacement by the seller I went after a price reduction. Started out at $500 a wheel and ended at $400 a wheel. I would much rather get a price reduction and have repairs or replacement performed on my dime and to my satisfaction then to push it back on the seller. I would never expect a seller to put quality before cost as I would. The hard part is establishing a cost to negotiate with. Tires were easy other items not so much. But always remember, Caveat Emptor (Buyer Beware).
Old 12-10-2015, 01:52 PM   #28
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbriar View Post
Hard and potentially expensive lesson learned. My coach was an out of state repo that was acquired by the dealer at auction. Had 18,000 miles and six bald tires. Suspect somewhere along the line a flat bed wrecker got a fairly new set of 19.5 tires and wheels.

Rather than negotiate replacement by the seller I went after a price reduction. Started out at $500 a wheel and ended at $400 a wheel. I would much rather get a price reduction and have repairs or replacement performed on my dime and to my satisfaction then to push it back on the seller. I would never expect a seller to put quality before cost as I would. The hard part is establishing a cost to negotiate with. Tires were easy other items not so much. But always remember, Caveat Emptor (Buyer Beware).
Yep, I bought with my heart, I liked the looks of the motor home. I did not do the due diligence. It has cost me dearly. It is a good looking Motor Home and the quality is coming back slowly.

This is the text from the original ad
"1997 FLEETWOOD American Dream 39AF, This Diesel Pusher Is In Excellent Condition Inside And Out Especially For The Age, Immaculately Clean Interior, Drives And Handles Excellent, Equipment In Working Order, Non-Smoker, No Pets, Has Been Serviced By Us That Includes: Engine, Generator, Chassis, Equipment, All Brand New Tires And All Brand New Batteries, Ready To Travel 1997 39′ American Dream Diesel Pusher Model 39AF By American Coach (Fleetwood), 69,370 Miles, Gillig Chassis, 8.3 Liter Cummins 325HP, 6 Speed Allision Transmission, Air Suspension, Air Brakes w/Pac Exhaust Brake System, ABS, Full Body Paint, Fiberglass Roof, Heated Basement Storage w/Slide-Out Tray, 50 Amp Service, 2000 Watt Inverter (Freedom 20) 7500 Onan Diesel Generator (2160 Hours), All Brand New Batteries, Large Solar Panel On Roof, Hydraulic Leveling System, Rear Camera w/vol. Driver Power Window, Power Heated Mirrors, Cruise and Tilt, Dash A/C (Blows Cold) Spot Light, AM/FM Cassette Player, 10 Disc CD Stacker, Dual Leather Captain Chairs Both Power, Dual Pane Windows, Corian Countertops, Tile Flooring, Solid Wood Cabinets (Walnut Stain) Privacy Curtain, Mini Blinds, Dual Central Roof A/C’s (Blows Ice Cold) Dual Furnaces, Stove, Convection Microwave, Double Door Refrigerator/Freezer, Separate Ice Maker, Power Fans, Water Pump, Glass Enclosed Shower, Hot Water Heater (10 Gals Gas and Electric) Washer/Dryer Combo, Ceiling Fan In Bedroom, Skylight In Bathroom, Central Vac In Closet, Cable And Phone Hook-Ups, 19 TV In Living Room w/Power Lift, 13 TV In Bedroom, Queen Bed (Brand New Comforter) Dual Leather Couches (Only One Folds Into A Bed, Jack Knife Style Drivers Side) Electric Step, Large Encased Patio Awning, 3 Encased Window Awnings, Tow Hitch (5,000 LBS) All Brand New Tires (295/75/22.5) Alcoa Rims, Books And Manuals"

Several misrepresentations, Roof was not fiberglass, tires were not new, had them replace them (they did it when I showed them the ad text) when I got out there, other small problems

GlennLever is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ems, problems, tires