Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-14-2015, 03:57 PM   #57

Glenn when you said " else where on my tire I have this" I thought you wer referring to the cracks on the side wall until I scrolled down to read.
The difference between my tires and yours is your tires are 14 ply and mine are 16 ply. I guess that's were the difference in psi comes from.

1998 36ft Country Coach Magna #5499
Gillig chassis with a Detroit series 40
2002 F250 CC 7.3 PSD
mike brez is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-16-2015, 04:17 PM   #58
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
My tire guy heard from Samson today. An adjustment is in the works and the details are being worked out. I will update you when I know the details.

GlennLever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 04:48 PM   #59

That's Good News !

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
NHRA225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 07:44 PM   #60

Thanks Glenn! I'm anxious to see how this plays out.
Old 12-17-2015, 10:43 PM   #61
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
I said I would post the weight rating on my front axle.

There is a conflict on the weight carrying of the motor home.

The front axle is a Neway ARS112

I have attached below the data sticker that is inback of the divers seat, and also the chassis weight data from the closet wall.

They do not agree.

I intend to use the heavier rating is picking a tire.

The next issue is tire size.

I have a attached below the page from the Gillig Chassis manual that talks about tire sizes for this Motor home.

There are two sizes talked about, 265/75/22.5 and 275/70/22.5

What the RV sales lot put on were 295/70/22.5

I have had NO issues with rubbing in turns or bumps or anything else.

Now that I am replacing all the tires I have asked for recommendations both from Gillig (which I have several very good contacts with) and the tire guy.

I have no feedback from either, yet. The only comment from the tire guy is that the two "stock" tire sizes are unusual sizes and are not a common tire.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_9493.jpg
Views:	1881
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	114419   Click image for larger version

Name:	Motor Home Weight Table.jpg
Views:	668
Size:	414.3 KB
ID:	114420  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Chassis Manual Tire Size.jpg
Views:	2023
Size:	331.5 KB
ID:	114421  

Old 12-18-2015, 08:07 AM   #62

I noticed that Gillig shows the max tire pressure of the 275/70R22.5 tire @ 115 psi. That gives a load rating of 6165#. I have seen charts that take that tire up to 125 psi giving a load rating of 6940#. Maybe the discrepancy between your two placards has to do with the application of different pressures. Just a thought.
Old 12-18-2015, 08:40 AM   #63

My Gillig chassis place card and cat scale weight.

1998 36ft Country Coach Magna #5499
Gillig chassis with a Detroit series 40
2002 F250 CC 7.3 PSD
mike brez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 08:42 AM   #64
Moderator Emeritus

No inconsistency on the psi numbers - it's just that the max load psi is different (lower) than the max allowable pressure psi. You can carry the max load for the tire at 110 psi, but it is permissible to inflate as high as 120. You don't gain any more load capacity at 120, but it is safe to use that pressure if desired. For example, you might run a higher pressure to give some extra margin for inflation, or to give firmer handling.

The USDOT requires a DOT code that includes plant of manufacture and a 4 digit date code. Everything in between those two fields is optional and manufacturer-specific.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 09:19 AM   #65

It's possible that the oem tires were inadequate for the load on the steer axle. Here is a recall from 1999:

Build Years/Makes/Models: 1996 - 2000 FLEETWOOD AMERICAN EAGLE
1999 - 2000 FLEETWOOD AMERICAN TRADITION
1996 - 2000 FLEETWOOD AMERICAN DREAM
1999 - 2000 FLEETWOOD AMERICAN HERITAGE
UNits affected: 3746
Recall Number: 99V277000
Summary: VEHICLE DESCRIPTION: MOTOR HOMES. THE SUBJECT MOTOR HOMES, WHEN BUILT WITH A DISPROPORTIONATE FRONT AXLE WEIGHT DISTRIBUTION, FULLY EQUIPPED, LOADED WITH CARGO, AND OPERATED WITH IMPROPER TIRE PRESSURES, CAN EXPERIENCE AN OVERLOAD CONDITION ON A FRONT TIRE.
Consequence: OVERLOADING OF A TIRE CAN LEAD TO TIRE FAILURE.
Remedy: DEALERS WILL EQUIP THE SUBJECT MOTOR HOMES WITH NEW LARGER CAPACITY FRONT TIRES, WILL ADJUST THE WEIGHT DISTRIBUTION ON THE FRONT AXLE (IF NECESSARY), APPLY NEW CERTIFICATION LABELS, AND REINFORCE CONSUMER EDUCATION ABOUT THE IMPORTANCE OF TIRE MAINTENANCE, INCLUDING ROTATION, ALIGNMENT, AND TIRE INFLATION PRESSURE.
Notes: FLEETWOOD RECALL NO. 91015.OWNER NOTIFICATION BEGAN DECEMBER 3, 1999.OWNERS WHO TAKE THEIR VEHICLES TO AN AUTHORIZED DEALER ON AN AGREED UPON SERVICE DATE AND DO NOT RECEIVE THE FREE REMEDY WITHIN A REASONABLE TIME SHOULD CONTACT FLEETWOOD AT 1-800-322-8216.ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S AUTO SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-DASH-2-DOT (1-888-327-4236)
Old 12-18-2015, 10:21 AM   #66
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
It's possible that the oem tires were inadequate for the load on the steer axle. Here is a recall from 1999:

Build Years/Makes/Models: 1996 - 2000 FLEETWOOD AMERICAN EAGLE
1999 - 2000 FLEETWOOD AMERICAN TRADITION
1996 - 2000 FLEETWOOD AMERICAN DREAM
1999 - 2000 FLEETWOOD AMERICAN HERITAGE
UNits affected: 3746
Recall Number: 99V277000
Summary: VEHICLE DESCRIPTION: MOTOR HOMES. THE SUBJECT MOTOR HOMES, WHEN BUILT WITH A DISPROPORTIONATE FRONT AXLE WEIGHT DISTRIBUTION, FULLY EQUIPPED, LOADED WITH CARGO, AND OPERATED WITH IMPROPER TIRE PRESSURES, CAN EXPERIENCE AN OVERLOAD CONDITION ON A FRONT TIRE.
Consequence: OVERLOADING OF A TIRE CAN LEAD TO TIRE FAILURE.
Remedy: DEALERS WILL EQUIP THE SUBJECT MOTOR HOMES WITH NEW LARGER CAPACITY FRONT TIRES, WILL ADJUST THE WEIGHT DISTRIBUTION ON THE FRONT AXLE (IF NECESSARY), APPLY NEW CERTIFICATION LABELS, AND REINFORCE CONSUMER EDUCATION ABOUT THE IMPORTANCE OF TIRE MAINTENANCE, INCLUDING ROTATION, ALIGNMENT, AND TIRE INFLATION PRESSURE.
Notes: FLEETWOOD RECALL NO. 91015.OWNER NOTIFICATION BEGAN DECEMBER 3, 1999.OWNERS WHO TAKE THEIR VEHICLES TO AN AUTHORIZED DEALER ON AN AGREED UPON SERVICE DATE AND DO NOT RECEIVE THE FREE REMEDY WITHIN A REASONABLE TIME SHOULD CONTACT FLEETWOOD AT 1-800-322-8216.ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S AUTO SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-DASH-2-DOT (1-888-327-4236)
Can you tell me where you found this?

This may explain the discrepancy between the label and the data sheet.

I did do a google on Recall Number: 99V277000 and found a number of reports.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/..._ids=99V277000

http://www.autosafety.org/vehicle-database?tid=127182

I think after reading it has to do with vehicles with slides, which mine does not have.

NHTSA Action Number: RQ00001 DISPROPORTIONATE AXLE WEIGHT

SUMMARY:

FLEETWOOD ENTERPRISES FILED A DEFECT INFORMATION REPORT DATED OCTOBER 5, 1999, TO ADDRESS 'DISPROPORTIONATE FRONT AXLE LOADING' IN 1996-2000 MODEL YEAR AMERICAN EAGLE, AMERICAN DREAM, AND AMERICAN TRADITION CLASS A MOTORHOMES. THESE MOTORHOMES CAN HAVE ONE OR TWO SLIDE OUT SECTIONS. FLEETWOOD ISSUED THE RECALL AFTER AN INVESTIGATION CONDUCTED BY FLEETWOOD IN RESPONSE TO A SECOND FATAL ACCIDENT INVOLVING AN AMERICAN COACH PRODUCT IN SEPTEMBER 1999. THEY DISCOVERED THAT ONE SIDE OF THE AXLE MAY HAVE MORE WEIGHT THAN THE OTHER, INCREASING THE RISK THAT THE TIRE ON THAT SIDE MAY FAIL. ODI HAS RECEIVED TWO COMPLAINTS ON BOUNDER CLASS A MOTORHOMES EQUIPPED WITH SLIDE OUT SECTIONS AND MANUFACTURED BY FLEETWOOD, WHICH DESCRIBE SIMILAR DISPROPORTIONATE AXLE LOADING. BOTH OWNERS IDENTIFY THE LEFT SIDE WITH THE SLIDE OUT, AS THE HEAVIER SIDE. THE SUBJECT VEHICLES ARE THOSE MOTORHOMES EQUIPPED WITH SLIDE OUT SECTIONS, IN WHICH THE OWNER CAN EXTEND PART OF THE SIDE OR REAR OF THE MOTORHOME OUTWARD FROM THE VEHICLE. THIS WOULD INCREASE THE WEIGHT ON THE SIDE THE SLIDE OUT IS LOCATED. THIS INVESTIGATION IS OPENED TO EVALUATE THE PROBLEM EXPERIENCE, SCOPE, AND THE IMPACT OF SLIDE OUT SECTIONS ON DISPROPORTIONATE AXLE LOADING..

Old 12-18-2015, 10:42 AM   #67

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennLever View Post
I said I would post the weight rating on my front axle.

There is a conflict on the weight carrying of the motor home.

The front axle is a Neway ARS112

I have attached below the data sticker that is inback of the divers seat, and also the chassis weight data from the closet wall.

They do not agree.

I intend to use the heavier rating is picking a tire.

The next issue is tire size.

I have a attached below the page from the Gillig Chassis manual that talks about tire sizes for this Motor home.

There are two sizes talked about, 265/75/22.5 and 275/70/22.5

What the RV sales lot put on were 295/70/22.5

I have had NO issues with rubbing in turns or bumps or anything else.

Now that I am replacing all the tires I have asked for recommendations both from Gillig (which I have several very good contacts with) and the tire guy.

I have no feedback from either, yet. The only comment from the tire guy is that the two "stock" tire sizes are unusual sizes and are not a common tire.

In ordering Garbage Trucks, which were basically a truck chassis which had a body installed by a Body Manufacturer, I remember that the Final Manufacturer established the weight ratings for the sold vehicle not the chassis manufacturer.

So Fleetwood/American is the final manufacturer and legal authority on the vehicle you have. That might be the label you should observe.
1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 10:55 AM   #68
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by deandec View Post
In ordering Garbage Trucks, which were basically a truck chassis which had a body installed by a Body Manufacturer, I remember that the Final Manufacturer established the weight ratings for the sold vehicle not the chassis manufacturer.

So Fleetwood/American is the final manufacturer and legal authority on the vehicle you have. That might be the label you should observe.
If I read the recall it seems to say Fleetwood was to replace the label with new information, I assume that is the label behind the driver's seat with the higher weight rating?

Old 12-18-2015, 11:17 AM   #69

Country Coach Owners Club
I received six new tires from Country Coach during a recall campaign in 2002.

They sent a revised label that was intended to be mounted next to the driver after removing the original label. The revised label only included revised info on tire inflation psi.

So, the short answer to your situation is.....I do not know.

A revised GVWR would seem to be strange in normal practice?
1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 01:01 PM   #70

Glenn. Here it is:

1997 FLEETWOOD AMERICAN DREAM Recalls, Defects, Problems & Troubleshooting

Tags
ems, problems, tires