Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 08-02-2016, 09:19 PM   #15
Monaco Owners Club
I put a set of Firestone's on my coach and after 8000 miles I am happy with them. The trucking company I work for runs alot of them as well with good results.

Dennis & Marcie & Hook The Jack Russell, 2001 HR Imperial 38wds 350 Cummins, 07 Chevy Trailblazer/Blue Ox/Ready Brake, 04 Dodge 3500 Cummins,
slickest1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-02-2016, 11:50 PM   #16
I took off six aged out Michelins and put on Firestone FS560s. Three years later I am pleased with my decision for my MH.

George R. - Fulltiming since January '03
2007 Newmar Mountain Aire 3991
2012 Chevy Malibu LT1
gruelens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 07:25 AM   #17
Fleetwood Owners Club
Insurance paid for all but $250

Originally Posted by WillsDP View Post
Good to see that you are OK
From postings in this forum, Hercules seemed to be an acceptable tire. If riding hard have you checked or what the tire pressure is?
I just purchased Toyo because I replaced mine with same tire as I was happy with the ride.
Did insurance pay for the damage?
Yes the insurance paid for it all the inside rear tire blew out and I thought the motor fell out. the tire crushed the battery controller compartment and the tools was stored in the same compartment, Check this out. Unbelievable. I heard about tires blowing and the damage, the inside tire when it blew it pushed out the fender so far out it unplugged the clearance lights and cracked the fender housing that part is repaired but waiting for parts battery controller and height adjustment arm that was blown off as well. Tires were 8 years old so I guess I was asking for it and I kept them covered all the time when not in use.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-07-27 07.49.54.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	336.3 KB
ID:	134814   Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-07-22 16.07.10.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	310.6 KB
ID:	134815  

Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-07-23 08.52.24.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	426.8 KB
ID:	134816   Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-07-27 07.50.00.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	322.7 KB
ID:	134817  

Ron & Katie / N6CUS (Extra Class) Ham Monitor 146.520 MHZ
2008 Discovery 40X DP - Toad 2014 Chevy Silverado
N6CUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 08:31 AM   #18
Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Originally Posted by jpspaz View Post
I am looking at Sumitomos but I was wondering...is it worth it to increase the load range rating? I have load range F as original equipment but was thinking that it might be a good idea to switch to G for extra piece of mind. Would appreciate anyone's thoughts.

Changing to a load rating higher than required has a downside; the ride is more harsh, even after adjusting tire pressure for your measured axle weights. This is especially apparent on the rear duals, because the tire manufacturer's load inflation table will specify a minimum allowable inflation pressure in the neighborhood of 85 PSI, regardless of actual load, to prevent destructive tire-to-tire sidewall contact.

If your fully-loaded front axle weight is very near the front tires' maximum load, then it may be worth going up one load range. You don't have to have the same load range tires (or even the same size) on front and rear unless you insist on rotating them.

2000 HR Endeavor
2000 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 40PBD
Freightliner XC, CAT 3126B
slowmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 04:30 PM   #19
FWIW...I have replaced my "Not so Good Goodyears",after two sets(originals and one total replacement set)...priced Goodyears&Michelins,and did some homework to educate myself as to the Firestone story most like to tell to sell their brand and after extensive research with dealer who could supply me with all brands including Yokahama,Toyo,Michelin,Bad Year,Goodrich etc.etc.Purchased Firestone FS591 295x75x22.5's...had on Coach for one year 6000 plus miles and could not be happier.Saved in excess of $1200 plus and ride/balance and now once again am a believer in "American-Made-Firestone's"...the worst tire only required 5oz of weights to perfectly balance.Over the years I spent thousands on Michelins and because of their arrogance and thinking they are only tire Mfg's and not to mention the sidewall cracking...which they pass of as "Ozone-Levels" in Az to causing sidewal cracks! Never hadem on Goodyears and don't anticipate problem w/Firestones as per dealer. I fully realize many people swear by Michelins as I did for years however I firmly believe the rest of the industry has caught-up with or surpassed the Michelin name that "Used-To-Be".I have pleasantly found an alternative to the "Old-School Belief's"...my checkbook loved the results also and to date I see no downside to the decision FWIW you migt take a serious look before writing that check savings will buy you a lot of diesel fuel! The only other difference the dealer and research revealed was BF Goodrich tires would probably provide better tire milege life however I'v been RV- ing since 1984 in class A's and never wore them out...timed them out every single time so longevity for milege was not of concern...cost was and cost won for both reasons.I hope this is of help to you in your decision to replace your "sneaker's on your bus!!"Bruce Crocker 04 Monaco Diplomat
BruceE.Crock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 05:05 PM   #20
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The Toyos get good reports for the diesel units like yours. We have a local big-truck tire dealer that services fleets and they recommended them, Hancook too. The semi's run both, lots and lots of miles.

For our smaller unit I put the Michelin XRV's on the front to maintain ride quality. The originals went 10 years without issue. Some tiny cracks starting and getting stale dated so replaced them.

For the rear one of our big dealers out here - Big-O Tires - had Sumitomo and they had done a LOT of RV's with them. Made in Japan with good rubber compound so they were getting high marks. So far really like them, but they haven't been on for a year yet and just a few miles.

Firestone is now Bridgestone. I'm sure they're fine. I think I would choose Toyo's or the Hancooks though. If you can find the Sumitomo's in the size you need would be another option. Talk to the truck tire dealers in your locale and find out what they like, compare prices. The sumi's were about half the cost of the michi's.

EDIT: Oh, I just read the first post again - see OP is in so-Cal. Call Pete's Road Service - they're a great company. Big-O was good for us but I don't know for sure if they do the 22.5" size. Worth a call.

Pete's did the Michi's for us, did a front end alignment at the same time, and rotated what we had around and got us down the road for another year. Then put the new sumi's on the rear. The one other new michi we bought for the rear went to the spare.

The inside duals, michi XRV's, still were not weather cracked at 12 years. I was getting nervous about the age though. I thought they were amazing tires.

A neighbor got a blowout with his G670's, one rear went and did quite a lot of damage as well. I think he said they were about 6 years old. I was kind of turned off by the Goodyear reports, although generally I always thought they were one of the premium brands.

Oh, and Pete's said I probly wouldn't like the ride on the Toyo's. They are much stiffer than the Michelins. Makes a big difference on the gas coach with springs instead of air ride. They done' all have to match either - it's not like they're going to need rotating or wear out before they age-out.
Chris & Sherry Brown - 2014 Anza Borrego Weekend Trip Report
2005 Itasca Sunrise 31W - W20 and 8.1
2015 Chevy Colorado 4X4 Toad
CJBROWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 04:55 AM   #21
we went with Firestone 560 run 85psi cold on a 2000 Fleetwood Flair 30' have 8000 miles & 6 long trips -No Problems and expect 7-8 years from them
pushtrk99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 07:51 AM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
About a year ago I replaced my rivering GoodYears with Samsun - they have been great - Live in the motor Coach and do lots of travel - ride is great !
Dave and Suzy, Quincey and Chica
My two youngest in Coast Guard
2006 Monaco Knight 40ft
2012 Jeep Liberty
docsdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 06:59 PM   #23
owner operator of big trucks 35 years. ive pretty much ran the gambit on truck tires some worse than others. michlins are higher than toyo because where they are made. yes mich bridgestone and firestone all made in same plant in indiana. a firestone is a nice tire wears well rides pretty smooth. they invested in newer equipment in the indiana plant a few years back and the tires run pretty round now. seems like everyone has an opinion on tires me too i guess. i like saving money and the firestones were well priced and made in america. win win
oldsman41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 02:37 AM   #24
Another advocate for Firestone. On year two of my FS560's. Got about 3k on them now. Much better than the GY G670's I pulled off. I will say that my GY's lasted 8 plus years before I had a blow out. I do not hold a manufacturer responsible for a blowout on a tire more than 7 years old. I got lucky, no damage except for the tire. I wanted to get GY's, they were just too expensive. $4200 vs $1850, and like others have already said, made in America, great price and great tire.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

2006 Damon Daybreak 3272 w/F-53 @ V10
Redapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 10:20 AM   #25
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We will never forget the FORD EXPLODER.
Chris & Sherry Brown - 2014 Anza Borrego Weekend Trip Report
2005 Itasca Sunrise 31W - W20 and 8.1
2015 Chevy Colorado 4X4 Toad
CJBROWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 10:35 AM   #26

One thing about Goodyear tires is that they back their tires from defect failures. I had a tread separation problem and Goodyear replaced the tire, gave me one great trade-in on the other five because I was upgrading and covered the whole $6K damage bill. I have yet to hear of any other brand giving that kind of coverage.
Dale & Mark Bruss
10 Years Full-Timing now 40' Travel Supreme
Now with a 2016 Bounder 33C
Lots of RV Information at www.dmbruss.com
Dale & Mark Bruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 11:58 AM   #27
Winnebago Owners Club
Originally Posted by Dale & Mark Bruss View Post
One thing about Goodyear tires is that they back their tires from defect failures. I had a tread separation problem and Goodyear replaced the tire, gave me one great trade-in on the other five because I was upgrading and covered the whole $6K damage bill. I have yet to hear of any other brand giving that kind of coverage.
Can I ask how old the tires were and how difficult it was to get them to cover the cost? That's unheard of to me.
2010 Winnebago Vista 32K
jpspaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 05:05 PM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I replaced my Michelins with Michelins last summer. Cost me $3600. out the door. Very happy. Have had many motorhomes and many tire brands. Never had a blowout or separation on a Michelin.

06' Itasca Meridian 36g with CAT 350
2011 Jeep Wrangler 4-door
Ramzfan is offline   Reply With Quote