Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-17-2016, 06:10 AM   #43

Tiffin Owners Club
Strange.....if that is factual seems it would cause operators problems. Never came across something like that before, as tire size is industry standardize. Isn't there a tire industry member on here that could speak to this...?

skypilot_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-17-2016, 07:57 AM   #44
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
TOYO used to have a prohibition against mounting their tires on a Country Coach. Maybe that was the result of a lawsuit?
I have heard (2nd hand) that there have been a few cases of Class-A units (more than one mfg) having front axles and /or front tires that did not meet the stated load capacity ratings. This resulted in tires, wheels and even axles having to be replaced.
I could understand a tire company that got caught in the middle of a recall due to design decisions made by the RV company, simply saying "don't put our tires on xx brand RV"

Old 08-17-2016, 07:59 AM   #45
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skypilot_1 View Post
Strange.....if that is factual seems it would cause operators problems. Never came across something like that before, as tire size is industry standardize. Isn't there a tire industry member on here that could speak to this...?
Not sure if I completely understand the question.

Yes there are published industry standard for tire dimensions and to my knowledge almost all (all?) tires meet those standards. If you provide specific tire information, I can consult the standards.
Old 08-17-2016, 12:52 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by skypilot_1 View Post
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
TOYO used to have a prohibition against mounting their tires on a Country Coach. Maybe that was the result of a lawsuit?

The CC and Toyo tech bulletin was due to an over loading condition on CC steer tires. What is the relationship to the tire accident in Vegas ?
You are probably right. I might be thinking of a different incident that happened in Oregon.

Thanks for the heads up.
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 01:22 PM   #47

Our coach came with Michelins so I replace them with Michelins at 60,000 miles. I have been very happy with the tires, I also have Michelins on the tow vehicle. I replaced all 6 Aug. 2011 at a cost of $2713, mount and balance. When time to replace again it will be Michelins. We now have over 114,000 on the MH.
belanga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 01:38 PM   #48

My new Michelins are horrible!

I just purchased new Mich's and have 400miles on them.

My old coach went from a "dream" to drive to a "nightmare"

I've been driving my 2000 Holiday Rambler "Admiral" for three years and put 20,000miles on the Goodyear tires that came with it (fronts were G670 - 6yr old, back were G159 - 8 yr old when I bought the coach) absolutely no cracks or checking.

I just read so much about running old tires that "look good" but "fail" that I bit the bullet and sprung for 6 new 245 70R 19.5" LR "H"
Michelin XZE's (Goodyear's were LR G)

My coach feels like the frame is broken! These tires feel like they are made of "Jello" My steering went from solid confident corrections to an unbelievably mushy, dangerous, wondering, piece of crap!

Someone following me would think I was drunk!

I pulled over into the first rest area after about 40 miles, and fully expected to find a flat on the rear. The tires were hot and my Gauge read 120 lbs on all four rears.
I can't see any damage to my anti sway bar.
The dealer suggested that I raise the cold PSI to 120# and also that I'm just not used to driving on tires with full tread.
I had the pressure raised and it improved enough that I got home safe (400miles) but I know that if I was driving in any kind of high winds on these Northern Ontario hwys (2 lanes) I'd be in big trouble.

Has anyone else experienced this kind of problem?
Old 08-17-2016, 02:57 PM   #49

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by moon12 View Post
I just purchased new Mich's and have 400miles on them.

My old coach went from a "dream" to drive to a "nightmare"

I've been driving my 2000 Holiday Rambler "Admiral" for three years and put 20,000miles on the Goodyear tires that came with it (fronts were G670 - 6yr old, back were G159 - 8 yr old when I bought the coach) absolutely no cracks or checking.

I just read so much about running old tires that "look good" but "fail" that I bit the bullet and sprung for 6 new 245 70R 19.5" LR "H"
Michelin XZE's (Goodyear's were LR G)

My coach feels like the frame is broken! These tires feel like they are made of "Jello" My steering went from solid confident corrections to an unbelievably mushy, dangerous, wondering, piece of crap!

Someone following me would think I was drunk!

I pulled over into the first rest area after about 40 miles, and fully expected to find a flat on the rear. The tires were hot and my Gauge read 120 lbs on all four rears.
I can't see any damage to my anti sway bar.
The dealer suggested that I raise the cold PSI to 120# and also that I'm just not used to driving on tires with full tread.
I had the pressure raised and it improved enough that I got home safe (400miles) but I know that if I was driving in any kind of high winds on these Northern Ontario hwys (2 lanes) I'd be in big trouble.

Has anyone else experienced this kind of problem?
The big advantage of the XRV's is the soft sidewall which give a soft ride. They can be mushy. Not sure how they compare to the XZE - seems to me this latter is a truck tire.

Consider asking your tire dealer to exchange them for you. In your case it might be worth it.

I'm a little disappointed in my two front Michi's that are not even two years old - starting to show weather cracks. XRV's.
CJBROWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 03:40 PM   #50

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
Why did the tire fail? If you don't know the "why" how do you know the action you are taking will address the cause? Have any close up pictures?

What did your TPMS read just before the failure? If it was reporting correct inflation then we can eliminate a Run Low Flex failure due to leaking valve , wheel or punctured tire.
What was the DOT serial of the failed tire. If you post it we can ID the producing plant. In the post about Firestone tires the big recall was traced to one tire plant (now closed)
TPMS told me tire were about 130PSI when its hot and 99 cold
also tells me if tire starts to overheat
here is the video of the tire.

Old 08-17-2016, 04:10 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJBROWN View Post
The big advantage of the XRV's is the soft sidewall which give a soft ride. They can be mushy. Not sure how they compare to the XZE - seems to me this latter is a truck tire.

Consider asking your tire dealer to exchange them for you. In your case it might be worth it.

I'm a little disappointed in my two front Michi's that are not even two years old - starting to show weather cracks. XRV's.
That's a bummer! weather cracks on two year old tires.
I looked at the XRV's, but they only came in load range F for the 19.5" rim
My coach required load range G so I asked the dealer if XZE's, which are load range H would be a rougher ride. His answer was that they would probably be softer than the Goodyear's that I had on it.
I'm satisfied with the "ride", it's the handling that is unacceptable.
Old 08-17-2016, 07:59 PM   #52

@JPSPAZ. RE Sumitomo ST718. It looks like errors in the PDF they provided. The diameter and Rev per mile are the same as the 245/75/22.5. As are some of the other numbers. Looking down the PDF AT the ST 918s in that size you see numbers that are more like what you would expect. Going from 12 ply to 14 ply gives you a few less revs per mile.
Old 08-18-2016, 11:43 AM   #53
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by N6CUS View Post
TPMS told me tire were about 130PSI when its hot and 99 cold
also tells me if tire starts to overheat
here is the video of the tire.
Old 08-18-2016, 05:40 PM   #54

Food for thought. Most any new tire is going to ride better than a 10 year old tire regardless of brand. Go with a brand you trust. My pick is Michelin. Other maybe not. When someone tells you their x brand rides way better than the old GoodYears its because the GYs were 10 years old!.
Old 01-05-2017, 10:28 AM   #55

National RV Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
This thread cost me $2100

But my have saved me more. Just looked at tires and they have a 099 date code! Worse yet they are Goodyear G159s - I found this article which is scary. Goodyear G159 Tire Failures on RVs Finally Dragged Into the Public Eye | Safety Research & Strategies, Inc.
I have been ignoring the tires on my 1999 coach. I bought it three years ago with under 35k miles and the tires look great. I just got back from a 200 mile desert run without any problems.

Here is my quote from Wayne Miller mobile Tires near San Diego for 6 new size 245/70/19.5 installed:
Hercules $1575
Kelly $1863
Hankook $2100
Toyo $2242
I am going with the Hankook AH11 16 ply based on positive forum reviews. I wanted the heavy H rated tire because we carry a lot.
Old 01-06-2017, 08:21 AM   #56
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulers View Post
But my have saved me more. Just looked at tires and they have a 099 date code! Worse yet they are Goodyear G159s - I found this article which is scary. Goodyear G159 Tire Failures on RVs Finally Dragged Into the Public Eye | Safety Research & Strategies, Inc.
I have been ignoring the tires on my 1999 coach. I bought it three years ago with under 35k miles and the tires look great. I just got back from a 200 mile desert run without any problems.

Here is my quote from Wayne Miller mobile Tires near San Diego for 6 new size 245/70/19.5 installed:
Hercules $1575
Kelly $1863
Hankook $2100
Toyo $2242
I am going with the Hankook AH11 16 ply based on positive forum reviews. I wanted the heavy H rated tire because we carry a lot.
RE "H" rated. Don't forget it is the air not the tire that carries the load. You will only get H capacity if you run H inflations. Have you confirmed your actual loads? If not "4 corner" do you know your actual axle loading?

Yes you have been lucky with your 16+ year old tires.

Be sure to read the "Why Tires Fail" post on this forum if you want to be a bit more informed about tires.

Tags
tires