Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-13-2016, 09:08 PM   #29

Monaco Owners Club
I run hancook ah12 like them run out good

nitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-14-2016, 12:20 AM   #30

Have 6 yr old Sumitomo ST718s on our Winnie Adventurer 37. No cracks, crazing or problems. Some online retail sites have them as 65 mph speed rated, but the manufacturer site has them listed as "L", 75 mph. I have seen other errors as bad on retail sites. IMHO, look at the manufacturers site/technical data before you plunk your money down
Old 08-14-2016, 12:22 PM   #31

Vintage RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starsekr View Post
Have 6 yr old Sumitomo ST718s on our Winnie Adventurer 37. No cracks, crazing or problems. Some online retail sites have them as 65 mph speed rated, but the manufacturer site has them listed as "L", 75 mph. I have seen other errors as bad on retail sites. IMHO, look at the manufacturers site/technical data before you plunk your money down
From what I gather speed ratings are based on max pressure and weight.
Still, I'm really not clear why anyone would want to be going over that speed in a RV in the first place, but alas many do I guess.
I ride a lot faster than that on my motorbike, but not my motorhome.
CJBROWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 12:44 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpspaz View Post
Can I ask how old the tires were and how difficult it was to get them to cover the cost? That's unheard of to me.
3 Years old. It was tread separation on a G614 tire. I got off the road fast enough to have the tire is a condition were the tread separation was obvious.

Took the tire to a Winefoot dealer (Goodyear that does mostly commercial). They shipped the tire to Akron. I filled out the paperwork and as soon as Goodyear received the tire, I was notified that the claim was approved.

We were going to change to 17.5" rims anyways so the credit from the broken tire and the other five really dropped the cost of the upgrade to a little more than the new rims. The G114 17.7's were $50 a tire less than the G614.

I know of several people who have had successful claims from Goodyear. The G614 has an incredible good record on lowboy trailers (equipment hauler) but had problems in fifth-wheel applications, especially triple axle. When backing in, there are incredible lateral force on the tread to body cord attachment that is not seen on lowboys.

I aged out the first set of G114s at 6 years with no tire defects.

I ran Goodyear 22.5's on the Volvo too. Aged them out with any problems either.
Lots of RV Information at www.dmbruss.com
Dale & Mark Bruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 02:20 PM   #33

Tiffin Owners Club
Thanks for the info. I am having my fronts balanced tomorrow but I suspect the Goodyears are out of round. The mechanic suggested I balance them first before replacing them. I am looking at Sumitomos as a replacement because of the nightmare stories I have heard about Goodyears. I wanted to go with the Hankook AH11 but they are on a national back order in my size.
Old 08-14-2016, 07:57 PM   #34

Best tire is Toyo's, but buy what you want, not what we like. I have had only Michelins and Toyo's on two different coaches, and Toyo's win hands down.

I have seen too many problems with other RVer's that have installed GoodYears. One that I recall were two elder ladies on a gasoline coach and they told me they could not get them balanced right. Vibration was really bad according to them.

Also a lot of complains of rivering, but I personally believe that is not the fault of the tire but the fault of chassis with independent suspension. The camber gets out and needs working on is my theory.
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 07:52 AM   #35

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayChez1 View Post
Best tire is Toyo's, but buy what you want, not what we like. I have had only Michelins and Toyo's on two different coaches, and Toyo's win hands down.

I have seen too many problems with other RVer's that have installed GoodYears. One that I recall were two elder ladies on a gasoline coach and they told me they could not get them balanced right. Vibration was really bad according to them.

Also a lot of complains of rivering, but I personally believe that is not the fault of the tire but the fault of chassis with independent suspension. The camber gets out and needs working on is my theory.
My final decision was Michelins, I tried to get Toyo's but was told don't know any more that, they halted making my size toy's 295/70R 22.5 till a lawsuit was settled about an RV death due to the tires, got 6 new Michelins and balanced tax and installed for $3550 total however I still do not have my coach back yet from the blowup damage, 3 weeks so far and looks to be one week more.
waiting on parts Battery controller smashed in the blow out, height control arm on rear axel, blow off in the blow out, wiring harness damaged as well.

N6CUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 11:29 AM   #36

Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by N6CUS View Post
Looking to buy 6 new tires Firestone, Toyo's 275/R70 Load H rating Or I
I had a blowup on the inside rear and did about $8,000 Damage
plus towing. It is unbeleiveable the damage and impact is had while drive
Lucky I was only going about 35 or 40 and had been doing 65 to 70 before
I bought a Hercules tire just to get me off the Freeway brand new and will sell it cheap tire has 5 miles on it. Going to do Firestone or Toyo's and maybe goodyear but I don't think so they ride to hard.
any input??

Ron
Discovery 40X 2008
Why did the tire fail? If you don't know the "why" how do you know the action you are taking will address the cause? Have any close up pictures?

What did your TPMS read just before the failure? If it was reporting correct inflation then we can eliminate a Run Low Flex failure due to leaking valve , wheel or punctured tire.
What was the DOT serial of the failed tire. If you post it we can ID the producing plant. In the post about Firestone tires the big recall was traced to one tire plant (now closed)
Old 08-16-2016, 11:48 AM   #37

Commercial Member

General comment on tire recalls. Here is a partial list of tire brands that have had a recall.
Bridgestone, Pirelli, Firestone, Towmax, Hercules, Continental, Jinu, Evergreen, Double Camel, Couragia, Michelin, BF Goodrich, Uniroyal, Kumho, Miranda, Big O, Sigma, Toyo, Goodyear, Liberator, Medalist, Phantom, Prospector, Pathfinder, Hankook, Alliance,

Also Dill tire valves that resulted in tire failures for any brand where the defective valve was used.

SImply claiming that a company had a recall indicates that all their products are defective just doesn't match facts any more than because Ford Explorers may roll-over if you have a flat tire means that every Ford or every SUV is "defective".
Old 08-16-2016, 12:06 PM   #38

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by N6CUS View Post
My final decision was Michelins, I tried to get Toyo's but was told don't know any more that, they halted making my size toy's 295/70R 22.5 till a lawsuit was settled about an RV death due to the tires, got 6 new Michelins and balanced tax and installed for $3550 total however I still do not have my coach back yet from the blowup damage, 3 weeks so far and looks to be one week more.
waiting on parts Battery controller smashed in the blow out, height control arm on rear axel, blow off in the blow out, wiring harness damaged as well.

TOYO used to have a prohibition against mounting their tires on a Country Coach. Maybe that was the result of a lawsuit?
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 05:08 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
TOYO used to have a prohibition against mounting their tires on a Country Coach. Maybe that was the result of a lawsuit?

The death that happened mounting a tire according to what they told me at Discount Tires in Las Vegas according to them, it was in Oregon and they said that they were mounting Toyo Tires on a Split Rim which is suppose to be very dangerous. They said that is how the man got killed, so they stopped mounting tires that big at places like Discount Tires. They refused to mount my second set, so I went to another Toyo store in Barstow, Ca. where I reside now and got a new set of Toyo M-154. Great tires!
RayChez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 07:55 PM   #40

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpspaz View Post
I looked at the load range G Sumitomos of the same size. What I found is that they are larger in diameter by about four inches. That seems like too much for me to switch over to them, especially since I was only going to do the fronts now and the rears in the spring. What I don't understand is how that can be possible if they are the same aspect ratio?
Your rig came with 245/70/19.5 LR F. Your saying that the same brand and size tire in LR is G is 4 inches larger in diameter ? LR F are 33 inches and LR G is 37 inches tall....!
How did you come up with that ?
skypilot_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 08:03 PM   #41

Tiffin Owners Club
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayChez1 View Post
The death that happened mounting a tire according to what they told me at Discount Tires in Las Vegas according to them, it was in Oregon and they said that they were mounting Toyo Tires on a Split Rim which is suppose to be very dangerous. They said that is how the man got killed, so they stopped mounting tires that big at places like Discount Tires. They refused to mount my second set, so I went to another Toyo store in Barstow, Ca. where I reside now and got a new set of Toyo M-154. Great tires!
The CC and Toyo tech bulletin was due to an over loading condition on CC steer tires. What is the relationship to the tire accident in Vegas ?
skypilot_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 04:21 AM   #42

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by skypilot_1 View Post
Your rig came with 245/70/19.5 LR F. Your saying that the same brand and size tire in LR is G is 4 inches larger in diameter ? LR F are 33 inches and LR G is 37 inches tall....!
How did you come up with that ?
I didn't come up with it. It is posted on Sumitomo's website for the 718 in my size. It seems strange to me and anyone I talk to that's why I bring it up. I tried to contact the company but got nowhere. I've attached the file.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf st718.pdf (149.5 KB, 44 views)

Tags
tires