Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-03-2013, 08:37 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Tires with different load ratings

I just discovered that my left front tire has a different load rating (I knew it was a different tire - same size and all). It's rated a G while the other tires (and the rear ones) are all rated F. All of my tires are Goodyear G670 RV tires, but this one is an OHTSU RX128 (I think it's an X - could be an N or maybe an I since that's all I see on the web). Is this an acceptable operating combination (with the different load ratings). Also - I tried to find OHTSU's inflation table for this tire but they do not have it listed on their site. They do list an RI128 - two different styles, one with m size: 245/70R19.5 but no information listed with it. Does anyone know where to find it? -This is assuming I can run with these different tires.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-03-2013, 09:16 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by spec24 View Post
I just discovered that my left front tire has a different load rating (I knew it was a different tire - same size and all). It's rated a G while the other tires (and the rear ones) are all rated F. All of my tires are Goodyear G670 RV tires, but this one is an OHTSU RX128 (I think it's an X - could be an N or maybe an I since that's all I see on the web). Is this an acceptable operating combination (with the different load ratings). Also - I tried to find OHTSU's inflation table for this tire but they do not have it listed on their site. They do list an RI128 - two different styles, one with m size: 245/70R19.5 but no information listed with it. Does anyone know where to find it? -This is assuming I can run with these different tires.
I personally don't like to mix match steer tires, as for any info on the tire I can't help you there. Do you have a spare? If not why not keep that one as a spare and buy one to match the others.

Old 06-03-2013, 09:21 PM   #3

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
You should never mix tires on a steer axle according to the large tire companies, just like you should run the same pressure across all tires on an axle.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 09:22 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
It was my understanding that when replacing tires you should replace both sides so that one is not larger than the other due to wear. No? Should I bring this to the dealers attention and tell him I want matching tires up there? This seems like a safety issue. They would pass inspection with tires of different load ratings up front?
Old 06-03-2013, 09:23 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
That's what I figured, Mr D.
Old 06-03-2013, 09:24 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
What are the odds my dealers going to care? Cant wait to make that phone call.
Old 06-04-2013, 08:19 AM   #7

What is the load rating in pounds for that tire? You need to have a tire that has at least half the load rating of the front axle, or you will have an unsafe condition.
Peralko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 08:37 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Well the OHTSU has a load range of G, so it is higher than my Goodyears. I called Goodyear who said they would not recommend putting a different load range tire on the same axle, she also told me that G rated tires require different wheels and valve stems due to the higher pressure that a G load tire requires to achieve its maximum load carrying capacity.
Old 06-04-2013, 09:06 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
The guy at the Ford motorhome hotline said I should take that tire and put it on the rear. He didn't think there'd be any issue with a different pressure to meet the load it would be carrying compared to the other tires.

Called the dealer. Still waiting to hear back.

Does anyone know what the rating is for the original 19.5" x 6.75" 10 hole steel disc wheels that are on the Ford F-53 chassis?
Old 06-05-2013, 01:01 AM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
My wheels are 110 PSI max, your's should have the max PSI stamped on the wheel. What does the coach manufactures federal I.D tag say what the tire load range your coach should have. Your dealer should replace the tire with the same load range as on the I.D tag.
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350,F53 Chassis Chassis build date 1/99, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags front & rear, Koni Shocks,Blue OX TruCenter,TigerTrak track bars front & rear, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar,2004 F450 Lariat 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW with B & W Custom Truck Bed, 1994 36 ft. Avion 5th Wheel
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 01:36 AM   #11

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by chboone View Post
Your dealer should replace the tire with the same load range as on the I.D tag.
I was told it's against Federal Law to replace a tire with a lower rated tire, but OK to replace with a higher rated one. That came from Les Schwab here in the NW.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 05:00 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Since the G load tire will never see over 95 psi (the max wheel psi for all the other tires)I guess it makes little difference what the wheel rating is in regards to that tire. The OHTSU tire also has the same load max at the same psi as the equivalent G670 Goodyear tire with a load G rating.
Old 06-06-2013, 09:08 AM   #13

Seeing as how most of us replace tires due to age, not wear, and the fact that you had not noticed any abnormal steering problems before noticing the difference, I'd say just forget it.

Ed
Old 06-06-2013, 09:20 AM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
I swapped that odd tire to the back so now my front tires are a perfect match. Too bad whomever last put on the decorative wheel covers (campers inn) couldn't manage to line up the valve stem opening with the actual valve stem. Taking them off broke the valve extension.

Tags
tires