Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-01-2007, 01:56 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Location: Back in Philly for the fall heading to Sunshine before the snow flies
I'm in the process of registering my 05 Discovery 39S, factory GVWR 27,910 & UVW 23,515. The title that I received from the previous owner lists the GVWR as 23,515 & UVW 20,000. should I go to the trouble of having the title corrected? Is there any chance of getting pulled into a weigh station and being fined for over limit? How about if in an accident and found over weight? Am I getting paranoid? That sometime happens to me, but that doesn't mean they're not after me. Thanks, Mike
hondo122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-01-2007, 01:56 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Location: Back in Philly for the fall heading to Sunshine before the snow flies
I'm in the process of registering my 05 Discovery 39S, factory GVWR 27,910 & UVW 23,515. The title that I received from the previous owner lists the GVWR as 23,515 & UVW 20,000. should I go to the trouble of having the title corrected? Is there any chance of getting pulled into a weigh station and being fined for over limit? How about if in an accident and found over weight? Am I getting paranoid? That sometime happens to me, but that doesn't mean they're not after me. Thanks, Mike
hondo122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 02:11 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
I'm kind of paranoid too so, I would want it fixed if it was wrong just in case of the situations you mentioned.
I have no idea how to go about having it corrected. Good luck and let us know how it goes.
Old 01-01-2007, 04:13 PM   #4

Mid Atlantic Campers
OHIO Cops love over weight MOHO's. Most coach builders build right to the max GVW of that chassis. I wouldn't want to be shorted a few thousand pounds on my registration weight. Overweight tickets can be very pricy, or they could actualy make you unload weight to get on your way. IMHO, get it streightend out.

2007 National RV Pacifica 36'
Jestme13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2007, 05:01 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Skyline Owners Group
Speaking from experience here....Ohio scale masters are only interested in "overweight" if either 1.) your steering axle is over 12,000#, or 2.) any other axle is over 21,000#

If your MH is weighed at a highway scale, then it is because you are pulling a commercial trailer. If that is the case, then you are also displaying your company name, city/state, and USDOT or ICCMC numbers on the coach.

One time, I drove this and was flagged into a scale...

Despite the fact that it was 86½' long, trailer was registered commercial, toterhome had company name / city/state / USDOT number, the State Policeman looked at the "MotorHome" tag on the toterhome, shook his head, and waved me to leave. P.S.: The steering axle was 3600# overweight! and the PA State Police just waived at me when they saw the motor home tag on the power unit.
George Miklas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 01:43 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
hondo122,

It may or may not be easy to get it corrected now, but I doubt it would be easier after your initial registration and it could disrupt the process if/when you sell it. I'd do it now and avoid future headaches. JMO
Nonno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 02:11 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Skyline Owners Group
Hondo122,

Here is the state form you need. You can type all of your information in the spaces, print it, and then take the MH and this form to your inspection mechanic to verify the weights. Then re-process the title.

http://www.dot10.state.pa.us/pdotfor...orms/mv-41.pdf

gm
George Miklas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 02:29 PM   #8

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">my 05 Discovery 39S, factory GVWR 27,910 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
HONDO122: Looks like you have already gotten excellent advice in response to your question.

My purpose here is to suggest you carefully research the numbers before going through with the process. I am referring to the "unusual" weight you posted as the GVWR. You may be absolutely correct for your 05, but FWIW the Fleetwood site lists the 07 39S as having a GVWR of 31,000 for a FCCC "XC" chassis. I am thinking "most" GVWR ratings are "whole" numbers, (based on axle ratings etc.) and are not as "precise" as you posted. Good luck getting all this straightened out. ED
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote