Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-14-2014, 05:15 PM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I am curious at what point you all felt that the TPMS was an important asset to you MH system? We are summer time weekend campers. Our general range of travel is generally within 200 miles one way. I fully understand that a blowout can occur anytime, anywhere but is the expense worth it for the low end campers ? We try to maintain our tires in the age department and cover them all the time. We are seldom on the road for more than a 4 hour period so extreme over heating doesn't seem like a concern ..... or am I all wrong?

LSC9901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-14-2014, 05:39 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSC9901 View Post
I am curious at what point you all felt that the TPMS was an important asset to you MH system? We are summer time weekend campers. Our general range of travel is generally within 200 miles one way. I fully understand that a blowout can occur anytime, anywhere but is the expense worth it for the low end campers ? We try to maintain our tires in the age department and cover them all the time. We are seldom on the road for more than a 4 hour period so extreme over heating doesn't seem like a concern ..... or am I all wrong?

One reason only. A road puncture. Ours happened during the first half hour of travel one morning. A 3/8 lag screw punctured the tire. I would have lost all air in that inside drive axle dual within minutes and the double load on the remaining dual would have most likely caused that tire to blow and may have damaged the trailing tag tire along with the coach sidewall.

It doesn't take much time or distance. I figure my TPMS saved me a minimum of $5,000.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07

Steve Ownby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 05:49 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
I started looking into my TPMS system after I had a blowout on my previous coach. I was about 25 miles from home going to a State Park about 60 miles from home. A valve extender had started leaking probably after I tested the pressure with a mechanical gauge before leaving home. An inside rear tire blew. The tread separated from most of the tire and wiped out the wheel well. It destroyed the brake line, broke the rear axle leveling sensor system, severed the propane line going to the stove and water heater and buckled the compartments in front of and to the rear of the wheel well. Close to $10,000 in damages. It strand my wife, myself, and our two dogs on the side of a rural highway for about 6 hours. The worst part was the fear I felt as I tried to maneuver a swerving 30,000 pound vehicle to a safe stop, the fear I felt when I got out of the coach and smelled escaping propane and realized my wife and pets were still inside, and the apprehension and nervousness I felt every time I got on the road again after the coach was repaired.

Shortly after the damage was resolved I upgraded to a newer coach, bought new tires and bought a TPMS. I won't leave home without it. Even if I am just going down the road to get diesel, or to have it serviced.

Wiley
Rambling Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 06:16 PM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I'll be one of the first to admit that my mind can be easily swayed by horror stories like those. My search begins.

Now let me ask this. Since I am not in need of new tires do the valve cap systems work OK ?

LSC9901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 06:17 PM   #19

Freightliner Owners Club
For the initial setup in the morning, before the sun heats up the tires on the sunny side, set your tire pressures to whatever desired. Tell the TPMS what you have set each tire to and forget it. Ignor the TPMS unless it alerts you. There is no need to know how much pressure or temperature the tires should gain - thats what the TPMS knows
jones47172 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 06:35 PM   #20

I am in the camp that TPMS provide too much information.

And yes -- I also had a toad tire failure on the road. And We have repaired lots of damage to rigs that had a tire blowout. And have sold several TPMS systems.

It comes down to personal choices on this topic.

I try to check my tire pressures before each trip. Basic maintenance works most of the time (but not always!).
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 07:10 PM   #21

in a sunny morning of sept this year, i drove out denver along i70 west. not too far from the start the road turned into a long, curvy and steep slope. though with pacbrake on, i still felt the force pushing the rig to the speed beyond control. i had to momentarily use foot brake to slow it down to 5 miles below the marked speed limit. at about 1/3 down, suddenly my tpms sounded off. while maintained the speed, i glanced it and noticed it's from front left. i pressed the button and saw the pressure was not low but 146. moment later, the front right was also set off. my brain was quickly spinning, what to do? luckily an emergency rest area was at a few hundred yard away. i got out and came down to check. the front hubs were hot to the degree that you could't put my fingers on for more than 2 seconds. my wife and i waited for about half an hour to let it cool down, and looked around the beautiful hills and lake. if were there no tpms in place i'd have continued to drive, would we have been able to happily finish the rest of the trip?

to me, tpms is a necessity, not an icing. it alerts you and prevents catastrophic events from happening. a small investment well worth the money.
Old 12-14-2014, 07:14 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moxy View Post
tst system alarms with any sudden change ie a rise or lowering of pressure, it also alarms when parameters are exceeded

Moxy
Moxy,

Not sure which TST System you have, but my 507 system only alarms when the pressure or temperature exceed the parameters that I chose to use. The system of course provides constant readout of each wheel (including toad) but does not alarm for fluctuations within the parameter set points.
Old 12-14-2014, 07:29 PM   #23

Pressure rise is normal as tires warm up. The closer weight a tire is carrying to the capacity of the tire the more pressure increase you will have. Example: My front tires need 110 psi for the load they are carrying. I carry 115 psi cold. (checked and set @ 60*) After a few hours at 60 mph in 80* weather, I will see 137-140 psi. That's about a 20% increase and very normal. a 60* day will see 133-135 psi. The drive tires need 90 psi and I carry 100 psi cold. Those tires will get to 115-118 psi or 15-18%. The inside tires on the drive axle will be 2-3 psi higher than the other tires due to less cooling from air movement around them. I don't pay any attention to the temp readings, because the TPM sensors are moderated by the OAT. They will not give an accurate reading until several minutes after the wheel has stopped rotating.
Old 12-14-2014, 09:24 PM   #24

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
I'll be one of the first to admit that my mind can be easily swayed by horror stories like those. My search begins.

Now let me ask this. Since I am not in need of new tires do the valve cap systems work OK ?
I use the valve caps. On my coach I have mounted the flow through sensors, on the toad I replace regular valve caps with the not flow thru caps prior to departure. They work just fine. I own a Tire Safeguard system, but there are several other brands. Just search TPMS on this forum and you will find many threads that discuss the various brands.

I was afraid the weight of the sensor would change my balance so I used Dyna Beads in my front coach tires. On the rear tandems the sensors mount one on each side of the rim so they cancel each other out, weight and balance wise. When I buy new tires for the rear I will use Dyna Beads just because.

On the toad, I take the sensors on and off. I was worried about balance, but didn't compensate in any way and on my first long trip (2000 miles), I think I caused a flat spot on my tires. No imbalance vibration, but a definite thump on each rotation at low speed. When they wear down a little more I will replace them and use Dyna Beads as the balancing method.

Wiley
Rambling Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 11:31 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
Pressure rise is normal as tires warm up. The closer weight a tire is carrying to the capacity of the tire the more pressure increase you will have. Example: My front tires need 110 psi for the load they are carrying. I carry 115 psi cold. (checked and set @ 60*) After a few hours at 60 mph in 80* weather, I will see 137-140 psi. That's about a 20% increase and very normal. a 60* day will see 133-135 psi. The drive tires need 90 psi and I carry 100 psi cold. Those tires will get to 115-118 psi or 15-18%. The inside tires on the drive axle will be 2-3 psi higher than the other tires due to less cooling from air movement around them. I don't pay any attention to the temp readings, because the TPM sensors are moderated by the OAT. They will not give an accurate reading until several minutes after the wheel has stopped rotating.
i agree within a reasonable range a temp fluctuation can be ignored, as the alarm won't be set off. however, when temp is very high, it's got to be worried. not only the high temp always causes the tire pressure to go up further, but also the chance of hub bearing damage increases. the lubricant to hub bearings originally specified for the application was likely selected to run at lower temperatures. A temperature increase of 50f may cause oil viscosity to drop by 50% or more. needless to say, the bearings could be damaged prematurely if you allow the situation to continue. that would lead to a big loss.
Old 12-15-2014, 11:48 AM   #26

Quote:
New innovations like this can only make me wonder how RV'ers survived years ago ?
LSC9901
X2!
My coach is surviving quite well with NO tire pressure monitor system, (and without most of the other "new innovations", (aka: overpriced gizmos and gadgets), available on, or for, RVs.

Besides useless information makes my head hurt.

Mel
'96 Safari, 135k miles
Old 12-15-2014, 05:27 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
LSC9901
X2!
My coach is surviving quite well with NO tire pressure monitor system, (and without most of the other "new innovations", (aka: overpriced gizmos and gadgets), available on, or for, RVs.

Besides useless information makes my head hurt.

Mel
'96 Safari, 135k miles
I suppose some would consider the tire pressures as useless information. However, when I got too close to a pylon in a construction zone at night that snapped the valve stem off one of the wheels on my trailer, instead of stopping when the alarm went off because the other tire's pressure was increasing due to it's overload, I would have kept driving until that tire blew out and I might have noticed the sparks from both wheels after the tires were shredded. In that case, I would have been stranded at night on the interstate because I only had one spare and I would have had the opportunity to buy two tires and two wheels instead of just one tire.

You might have considered the alarm as useless information, but I thought it was rather important at the time.
Old 12-15-2014, 05:50 PM   #28

Don't worry about temps rising as you drive. If you start out the day with the correct pressure, the tire mfgr. has taken into consideration the normal rise associated with driving. I suppose it's possible that an overheated brake and/or bearing could cause some temperature rise in a tire, but you're going to check for that with a thermometer everytime you stop for gas or the bathroom, yes?

ralphie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires