Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-15-2014, 06:07 PM   #29

FWIW, tire temperature monitors/TPMS usually begin at 157*F then may be increased as desired. Now most of the sensors are fastened to the valve stem, You have no clue to actual internal temperature of a tire from a bad wheel bearing or dragging brake. All you know is, you've seen a change in temperature and should react accordingly.
Tire pressure is different, it should read within a few # of actual pressure. The amount of pressure rise-which is either due to temperature or altitude, and the amount of moisture inside the tire, is of little consequence.
My focus is tire pressure dropping. I have my TPMS set to alarm at a 10% drop, as 20% is considered 'run-flat' which voids the tire warranty
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-15-2014, 06:27 PM   #30
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
FWIW, tire temperature monitors/TPMS usually begin at 157*F then may be increased as desired. Now most of the sensors are fastened to the valve stem, You have no clue to actual internal temperature of a tire from a bad wheel bearing or dragging brake. All you know is, you've seen a change in temperature and should react accordingly.
Tire pressure is different, it should read within a few # of actual pressure. The amount of pressure rise-which is either due to temperature or altitude, and the amount of moisture inside the tire, is of little consequence.
My focus is tire pressure dropping. I have my TPMS set to alarm at a 10% drop, as 20% is considered 'run-flat' which voids the tire warranty

if temp is too high, one has got to find out if it's caused by wheel bearing or dragging brake.
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2014, 07:30 PM   #31

Heartland RV Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphie View Post
I suppose it's possible that an overheated brake and/or bearing could cause some temperature rise in a tire, but you're going to check for that with a thermometer everytime you stop for gas or the bathroom, yes?
Not me. I just glance at my TPMS!!!

Wiley
Rambling Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 04:09 PM   #32

Commercial Member

I currently have 19 posts with TPMS as a label. Some have more info than others but I think your questions would all be answered if you read the posts. I cover Pressure & temp variation etc.
In general people report that a single warning from the TPM that gets them to stop and find out what caused the warning signal will probably save the cost of the system.
With some care I would expect the system to last many years and based on tire failure rates on RVs the average owner should save a tire every 3 to 6 years
Old 12-18-2014, 03:49 AM   #33

Dear Tireman,
Two things, first I did do a search of this forum, but all of your 19 post did not show up or the ones that did failed to answer my question/addrss my concerns
Second, admonishing someone with a sarcastic response does not foster and open forum where fellow RV'ers feel free to ask questions and seek information.
I'm pleased that you are a tire expert, as such I would think that you would want to share your information, even if means you have to cut and paste a previous post.
Old 12-19-2014, 10:11 AM   #34

Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catcoach View Post
Dear Tireman,
Two things, first I did do a search of this forum, but all of your 19 post did not show up or the ones that did failed to answer my question/addrss my concerns
Second, admonishing someone with a sarcastic response does not foster and open forum where fellow RV'ers feel free to ask questions and seek information.
I'm pleased that you are a tire expert, as such I would think that you would want to share your information, even if means you have to cut and paste a previous post.
Sorry if I came across as sarcastic. Definitely NOT my intent. Perhaps I needed to be a bit clearer.

The 19 posts I mentioned are on my RV Tire Blog. (link in my signature) Doing a cut and paste of all those posts would be really TMI for the average reader of this forum.
With over 170 posts on RV tires on the blog, it really would take more time than I have, to do repeated cut & posts of the posts on each of the 13 RV forums I try and monitor. With the various pictures and included links it would probably take 5 to 10 minutes to cut & paste each blog post on a forum. Many forums even have different requirements for posting pictures so keeping track of the hundreds of pictures would just compound the effort to the point that this effort would become a full time job.

The intent of my blog, and the seminars I teach at RV conventions is to provide a "go-to" source of fact based tire and related information. The posts have "Labels" so it is easy to search on the topic(s) that a reader is interested in. Some only have a single question while others admit their tire knowledge does not prepare them for the RV lifestyle.

If I have failed to answer any of your specific questions please PM me and I will do my utmost to provide the information you need.
Old 12-19-2014, 10:29 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
I currently have 19 posts with TPMS as a label. Some have more info than others but I think your questions would all be answered if you read the posts. I cover Pressure & temp variation etc.
In general people report that a single warning from the TPM that gets them to stop and find out what caused the warning signal will probably save the cost of the system.
With some care I would expect the system to last many years and based on tire failure rates on RVs the average owner should save a tire every 3 to 6 years
Hi Tireman,
Lots of great information on your link. Thank you for sharing!

FWIW - I failed to pick up on any sarcasm in your post

cheers,
Joopy
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 10:37 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
Sorry if I came across as sarcastic. Definitely NOT my intent. Perhaps I needed to be a bit clearer.

The 19 posts I mentioned are on my RV Tire Blog. (link in my signature) Doing a cut and paste of all those posts would be really TMI for the average reader of this forum.
With over 170 posts on RV tires on the blog, it really would take more time than I have, to do repeated cut & posts of the posts on each of the 13 RV forums I try and monitor. With the various pictures and included links it would probably take 5 to 10 minutes to cut & paste each blog post on a forum. Many forums even have different requirements for posting pictures so keeping track of the hundreds of pictures would just compound the effort to the point that this effort would become a full time job.

The intent of my blog, and the seminars I teach at RV conventions is to provide a "go-to" source of fact based tire and related information. The posts have "Labels" so it is easy to search on the topic(s) that a reader is interested in. Some only have a single question while others admit their tire knowledge does not prepare them for the RV lifestyle.

If I have failed to answer any of your specific questions please PM me and I will do my utmost to provide the information you need.

Tireman9,

I've been trying to access your blog & not having much luck with the link. Can you hook me up? I was in the Goodyear squadron in 1968. My first real job out of college.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 10:50 AM   #37

Monaco Owners Club
Hello If you have any questions on TPMS Systems please feel free to contact me @ 770-889-9102. My name is Mike with TST and I am available until midnight daily.
TST System is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 11:57 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbenson1234 View Post
Hello If you have any questions on TPMS Systems please feel free to contact me @ 770-889-9102. My name is Mike with TST and I am available until midnight daily.
mbenson1234
Thanks, but wouldn't that be similar to having a fox guard my henhouse?
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 05:56 AM   #39

I have gone to your blog and agree that it contains perhaps TMI. Yet it was helpful, and I was able to learn a great deal.
if I read sarcasm where none was intended my apologies, it seems that sometimes the " experts" on this forum forget that not all of us are computer, or tire, or electrical experts so we tend to ask what may seem to be less informed questions. I grew up believing that there are no stupid questions, if you don't know then ask.
Happy holidays and safe travels to all
Old 12-20-2014, 06:14 AM   #40

Freightliner Owners Club
I don't get the posts discussing TPMS supplying too much information. The beauty of the TPMS is that you can totally ignore it unless a warning is sounded. At least on my Tire Minder this is the case.
jones47172 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 09:35 AM   #41

Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ownby View Post
Tireman9,

I've been trying to access your blog & not having much luck with the link. Can you hook me up? I was in the Goodyear squadron in 1968. My first real job out of college.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Try this www.RVTireSafety.com

or Google RVTireSafety

If you want info on my background go to the oldest post. Listing by date in lower right.

You can search the entire blog using "Labels" list on the left or there is a word search box in upper left of the window in the black bar.

While I suggest people at least skim read all the posts to get a rough idea of the info available, I do not expect people to remember it all. BUT hopefully if you have a tire related question in the future you might recall the topic being covered and if you save the link you can quickly look up the details.
To save you time you can even subscribe so you don't have to spend time checking to see if I have a new post. While I try to do 4 posts a month I don't always meet that schedule.

Hope this helps.

PS My email is listed under the video picture on the right and I do respond to questions. Who knows I might even use your question for a blog topic.
Old 12-20-2014, 09:59 AM   #42
Community Moderator

thanks for the wealth of info.

note: the above link does not work if you click it within irv2, likely an irv2 problem. you would need to type rvtiresafety.com to your browser address bar and hit enter key you will get it.

(quote):

"Bottom Line. I very strongly recommend all RV owners have some system of notifying the driver when a tire looses air. With the exception of a failure of the sidewall due to some damage, you will almost always get enough advance warning to save you the expense of damage to your RV. You might even be able to have the tire repaired if you stop soon enough and have not lost too much air and damaged the tire. Just one warning could pay for the system.

Finally having a TPMS is not a substitute for checking your inflation before each trip. I have read of some people having the TPM sensor fail for as we know nothing is perfect. Better safe than sorry when it comes to having sufficient inflation to carry the load in your RV."
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires