Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-21-2014, 11:59 AM   #43
Commercial Member

Sorry to hear some are having problems with the link. It works for me when I click it so don't know what the problem could be.
Do any of the links, mine or others, posted on iRV2 forum work for you?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-06-2015, 05:45 AM   #44

Damon Owners Club
I agree strongly with the previous posts, tpms are a great thing. they are almost a must have. My first two mhs did not have tpms, checking rear duals was a large and inconvient pita. You tended to get complacent, now i can tell at a glance and feel safe. Twice i have seen the aftermath of a tie blowing on a rear dual and the damage a tire can do to body and brake lines, there is lot heavy rubber flying around. Both times the drivers had no idea until after the fact.

Old 01-06-2015, 09:51 AM   #45

You guys are amusing. Most of y'all are driving rigs that cost at least $100K and yet, spending $400 on a TPMS system is not in the cards. I think the system is pretty cheap in the whole scheme of things. My 18 year old Class A cost me $13.5K and I am putting TPMS on it this week.

I have had a front blow out on my C and about a minute before it went I could hear a high pitched buzzing sound. It blew before I could get to the shoulder and it took out the fender well. This was before the days of TPMS and I think that if there was a chance of getting forewarned it would certainly be worth $400. So my question is, why not stack the cards in your favor?
Old 01-06-2015, 02:06 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motor7 View Post
You guys are amusing. Most of y'all are driving rigs that cost at least $100K and yet, spending $400 on a TPMS system is not in the cards. I think the system is pretty cheap in the whole scheme of things. My 18 year old Class A cost me $13.5K and I am putting TPMS on it this week.
I have had a front blow out on my C and about a minute before it went I could hear a high pitched buzzing sound. It blew before I could get to the shoulder and it took out the fender well. This was before the days of TPMS and I think that if there was a chance of getting forewarned it would certainly be worth $400. So my question is, why not stack the cards in your favor?
Motor7
On the other side of the coin, TPMS companies have made, (and are making), 10s of thousands of dollars off RVers who bought and use TPMS that never saved them from anything!
Mel
'96 Safari
Old 01-06-2015, 05:07 PM   #47
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
Motor7
On the other side of the coin, TPMS companies have made, (and are making), 10s of thousands of dollars off RVers who bought and use TPMS that never saved them from anything!
Mel
'96 Safari
Yep just like the $Billions made by Insurance companies off people that don't have a vehicle accident or health problems or die after letting a Life policy expire or had a home fire of theft. Not to mention the other forms of "insurance" such as Social Security of insurance that covers banks so you don't loose your money if there is theft or embezzlement etc etc.

You have to decide your own Risk Aversion. If you think of a TPMS as a form of insurance that might save you the cost of one or two or more tires and might save you the cost and aggravation of a failure while on the road then you might be more comfortable with making your decision.

Does anyone who never needed any insurance feel it would have been nice if they hadn't? Probably... But in this day and age who lives life completely Insurance free?
Old 01-06-2015, 05:21 PM   #48

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Location: DW Driver -Winter Englewood FL, Summer Willingboro NJ
Quote:
Motor7
Mel
'96 Safari
I would agree. Recently, I asked my cousin about his TMPS as I was considering the investment. He recently had an inside tire blow out. this was the third tire for him. he has traveled all over and to alaska over the past 30 years in RVs. He also work for Michelin down south and is an engineer. I give his response great credit and credence. He told me not to even spend the money.

On the other hand he said, he does not understand why the MH manufactures and chassis manufactures do put in these systems as original equipment like they do in our cars and truck. NOW that make more sense than fooling around with a bunch of add on and O rings that all will fail regarless.

I always trust the reading I get on my Truck or Caddy. If it says it is low it is low and not defective. They also do not need battery replacements.

I get out my trusty Harbor Freight IR temp gun at every stop and check for tire temperature on the walls and also check my hub temps. the sunny side of the ride is alway about 15 degrees warmer.
Old 01-07-2015, 09:43 AM   #49
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladagobago View Post
I would agree. Recently, I asked my cousin about his TMPS as I was considering the investment. He recently had an inside tire blow out. this was the third tire for him. he has traveled all over and to alaska over the past 30 years in RVs. He also work for Michelin down south and is an engineer. I give his response great credit and credence. He told me not to even spend the money.

On the other hand he said, he does not understand why the MH manufactures and chassis manufactures do put in these systems as original equipment like they do in our cars and truck. NOW that make more sense than fooling around with a bunch of add on and O rings that all will fail regarless.

I always trust the reading I get on my Truck or Caddy. If it says it is low it is low and not defective. They also do not need battery replacements.

I get out my trusty Harbor Freight IR temp gun at every stop and check for tire temperature on the walls and also check my hub temps. the sunny side of the ride is alway about 15 degrees warmer.
Sorry but I have to ask if your cousin has taped over the gauges on the instrument panel. After all they present a lot of information and it is easy to simply check oil & water level in the AM. After that why would anyone ever need a warning light or gauge.

RE why TPM on cars and smaller trucks? Because it's the law that was written back in 2000 because people were dieing because they failed to keep air in their tires. This is just like the reason we have $$$ air bags because so many refused to use the low cost seat belts.

RE IR gun That's nice but it only gives approximate temp of the tire surface and not the important temp of the tire structure. Also if you don't get the exact same spot +/- 0.05" down in the bottom of the same groove you will get different reading. See my blog post May 15, 2012 with thermographic pictures showing temperature variation when measured with a $10,000 IR camera.

Finally your Caddy TPMS will need new $70 sensors + $30 labor EACH when their batteries wear out. I much prefer a $2.5o battery change I can do at 5 years.

BUT maybe the low cost solution is to see if you are comfortable with taping over all your gauges. If you are then TPM is TMI for you.
Old 01-07-2015, 09:14 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
Yep just like the $Billions made by Insurance companies off people that don't have a vehicle accident or health problems or die after letting a Life policy expire or had a home fire of theft. Not to mention the other forms of "insurance" such as Social Security of insurance that covers banks so you don't loose your money if there is theft or embezzlement etc etc.

You have to decide your own Risk Aversion. If you think of a TPMS as a form of insurance that might save you the cost of one or two or more tires and might save you the cost and aggravation of a failure while on the road then you might be more comfortable with making your decision.

Does anyone who never needed any insurance feel it would have been nice if they hadn't? Probably... But in this day and age who lives life completely Insurance free?
I completely agree. I've never heard anyone complain about not getting to use their life insurance.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 09:21 PM   #51

Quote:
mbenson1234
Thanks, but wouldn't that be similar to having a fox guard my henhouse?
Mel
'96 Safari
Would be no different that going to a doctor if you want health advice.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires