Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-13-2014, 04:39 PM   #1

TMI when it comes to tires

Ok, I now have a TPMS and think that possibly it creates to much information/questions.

So for the more informed than me:

How much should my tire pressure rise as I travel?

How much should my tire temperatures rise? What is to hot?

Is there or should there be a difference in temperatures or running tire pressure between to drivers and passenger sides?

What about sunny side versus shady side?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-13-2014, 04:54 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
New innovations like this can only make me wonder how RV'ers survived years ago ?

LSC9901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 05:03 PM   #3

I know, for over 40 years I have been driving, usually over 50,000 miles a year and never had a tire failure. Now I drive down the highway and have all of this information and am begin to worry about the information. Ignorance was bliss.
Old 12-13-2014, 05:18 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

TMI is right! Stop worrying about the temperature. Just note roughly what it is in normal driving, so that you will recognize a major change, if it ever happens. Yes, the sunny side gets a bit warmer, and higher pressure too. Yes, the temperature goes up as you drive, even more so on very hot days. No worries - the tire engineers have it all figured out.

If a tire gets soft (low psi), or begins to come apart, or a brake drags and overheats the wheel, you will see a huge rise in temperature, very quickly. Until then, do worries.

My personal opinion is that monitoring tire temperature is a waste of time.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 09:19 PM   #5

Heartland RV Club
I totally agree with Gary's first two paragraphs. I totally disagree with the last statement.

Pressure and tire temperature are directly related. As the tire heats up from friction with the road the pressure goes up. If the sun is shinning on the tire it will get a little hotter and the pressure will go a little higher. Don't worry about a few degrees or pounds difference in any one tire. Basically all the tires on an axle should remain fairly close to each other and rise and fall together within a few degrees.

Watch for quick changes and large differences across an axle and you should be fine.

When I first got mine I notice done front tire on my toad got a few degrees hotter and a few pounds higher than the other. I realized that the bus exhaust was heating up that tire.

You will get used to the fluctuations. You will also be alerted if a failure occurs and that is what you bought the TPMS for.

Wiley
Rambling Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 06:19 AM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
Please believe me when I say that this is not an argumentative reply but if a failure occurs I'm pretty sure you won't need a TPMS to tell you about it. I readily admit that I've never had a failure on my MH, so experience doesn't play into my comment. I did have a tire failure on a motorcycle once and I can assure you that looking at a monitor wasn't my first thought or concern. Granted I did not have one, but I do believe I had other priorities. Correct me if I'm completely off base with this one.

LSC9901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 08:42 AM   #7

Heartland RV Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSC9901 View Post
Please believe me when I say that this is not an argumentative reply but if a failure occurs I'm pretty sure you won't need a TPMS to tell you about it. I readily admit that I've never had a failure on my MH, so experience doesn't play into my comment. I did have a tire failure on a motorcycle once and I can assure you that looking at a monitor wasn't my first thought or concern. Granted I did not have one, but I do believe I had other priorities. Correct me if I'm completely off base with this one.
I agree that at the moment of catastrophic tire failure, the last thing you will be doing is looking at a TPMS monitor.

The truth of tire failure is that tires don't just instantly go from being perfectly ok to thread flapping explosion. With a TPMS you have a chance to see the pressure increase or decrease, the temperature increase and pull over, slow down, and minimize the damage that occurs with a high speed blowout.

Without the TPMS you don't know trouble is brewing until it is too late. With TPMS you get a warning and a chance to avert damage and possible injury or lose of life.

That is my humble opinion and I'm sticking to it.

Wiley
Rambling Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 08:45 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Pressure and tire temperature are directly related.
That's the very reason you don't need to be much concerned about temperature - the psi will react as well and give you the same clue/warning. If the temperature rises because of some external heat source (a hot bearing, for example), the psi climbs along with the temperature.

I'm not claiming that tire temperature has no meaning, but PSI alone gives you 99.9% of the info you need on your tires. In my opinion, spending your time monitoring tire temps as well as psi adds very little value. Others may disagree, so make your own call.

Quote:
Please believe me when I say that this is not an argumentative reply but if a failure occurs I'm pretty sure you won't need a TPMS to tell you about it.
The value of a TPMS is that it can warn you that a failure is imminent. The whole idea is to avoid the failure.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 09:56 AM   #9

I tend to agree that tire pressure monitoring / alarming should be the primary concern or duty of the TPMS, and that temperature monitoring is secondary. I'm not sure about all systems, but my TST system has alarm parameters set by the user for both pressure and temperature.

That said, depending on where the user set the alarm points (both low and high, for both pressure and temp), you could have a scenario with a leaking tire creating a low pressure condition which could seriously elevate tire temperature without increasing the tire pressure to the high pressure alarm point.

Again, I agree that proper tire pressure generally dictates tire temperature and it should be our predominant concern. Just wanted to express a condition which I believe could possibly occur without necassarily alarming.

cheers,
Joopy
Jupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 10:05 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jupiter View Post
I tend to agree that tire pressure monitoring / alarming should be the primary concern or duty of the TPMS, and that temperature monitoring is secondary. I'm not sure about all systems, but my TST system has alarm parameters set by the user for both pressure and temperature.

That said, depending on where the user set the alarm points (both low and high, for both pressure and temp), you could have a scenario with a leaking tire creating a low pressure condition which could seriously elevate tire temperature without increasing the tire pressure to the high pressure alarm point.

Again, I agree that proper tire pressure generally dictates tire temperature and it should be our predominant concern. Just wanted to express a condition which I believe could possibly occur without necassarily alarming.

cheers,
Joopy
tst system alarms with any sudden change ie a rise or lowering of pressure, it also alarms when parameters are exceeded

Moxy
Moxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 10:13 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
That's the very reason you don't need to be much concerned about temperature - the psi will react as well and give you the same clue/warning. If the temperature rises because of some external heat source (a hot bearing, for example), the psi climbs along with the temperature.

I'm not claiming that tire temperature has no meaning, but PSI alone gives you 99.9% of the info you need on your tires. In my opinion, spending your time monitoring tire temps as well as psi adds very little value. Others may disagree, so make your own call.

The value of a TPMS is that it can warn you that a failure is imminent. The whole idea is to avoid the failure.
the tst system shows trends or in the instance of rapid change it warms the operator of impending problems, not imminent failure, further it is and does reflect minor changes as confirmed by me that my exhaust raises temperature on curb side dolly and toad wheels at highway speeds, confirmed with infrared temp readings, it also highlights pressure loses and in one instance when my valve stem had a slow leak the system notified me that the pressure was slowly dropping in a tag wheel, another time the sensor did not properly seat on the toad rear wheels and they where slowly losing pressure, again avoided problems in both instances well in advance of any damage or failure.

Moxy
Moxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 10:37 AM   #12
Community Moderator

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I am now a firm believer in a TPMS. About 4 years ago a motorist came alongside and flagged me down. I pulled over to the curb and the man came up to me and said you have no right front tire on your car. I went back and found just the 2 beads left on the wheel. Lucky for me I had not yet damaged the wheel. Had a motorist not pulled me over at the very least I would have wrecked the wheel. I could not see any wavering on the toad in the rear monitor nor did I feel any difference on the steering wheel. I realized right there and than I would never in the future be able to feel or see a tire failure on my toad.

Soon after I purchased a TPMS and in the past years it has alerted me to 2 tire failures on the toad. Both tires had to be replaced but both times it saved my aluminum wheels. I have never had a flat tire on my coach since I purchased the TPMS but never again would I feel comfortable towing a vehicle with out a TPMS.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Adopted by a great couple, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 10:57 AM   #13

Thor Owners Club
The pressure will rise with increase in temperature as you drive. Don't worry about these changes - the tire engineers quote "cold" pressure, knowing temps will increase.

And if for no other reason, I like my TPMS for the ability to read tire pressures in one place, without having to get out and read each individual tire with a stick gauge. Very convenient in this regard - I check pressures with the TPMS before a trip and if one seems low, then I'll check with stick gauge and pump it up if needed.
taylorgso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 12:10 PM   #14

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorgso View Post
The pressure will rise with increase in temperature as you drive. Don't worry about these changes - the tire engineers quote "cold" pressure, knowing temps will increase.

And if for no other reason, I like my TPMS for the ability to read tire pressures in one place, without having to get out and read each individual tire with a stick gauge. Very convenient in this regard - I check pressures with the TPMS before a trip and if one seems low, then I'll check with stick gauge and pump it up if needed.
I agree. It sure is wonderful to simply be able to 'take a glance' at the tire pressure monitor in the morning to assure yourself that all tires are up to pressure and ready to roll.

Jim
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires