Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-02-2016, 05:18 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
to all of the DP owners...

We will be picking up our new to us 09 WGO Tour in a few weeks in IA...I have been driving a 15 WGO Adventurer (33') for 2 years with no problems at all...what advice can you give me concerning driving a 40' diesel pusher?
Thanks!
MutinyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-02-2016, 05:22 AM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Petal to the Metal and watch the rear view mirror......... Oh wait you said diesel pusher's NVM
Dennis Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 05:26 AM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
We switched from a 35' gaser to a 45' DP. Get used to going to diesel island for fuel. Then enjoy the ride of a heavier coach with more power.
jbhobbs54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 06:01 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Sit back and enjoy the ride and the quietness of the DP. Use the cruise as you will be able to up and down grades that the gasser had to struggle with.
markmiiler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 06:20 AM   #5

Enjoy the new to you coach. As you read things on various forums just remember there is a lot of mis information out there and just absorb the information and then make your own best for you decisions.
Congratulations!
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 06:31 AM   #6

Perhaps most important with diesels [gassers too], is clean fuel, good oil, and clean air, so don't skimp on filters or where you buy your oil or fuel. The "Mom and Pop" stations might be a few cents cheaper but it wont be worth it if you get a bad load of fuel. Now--set back and enjoy the ride!!!!!
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 06:54 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Grand Design Owners Club
Get yourself set up with a Pilot or Flying J card - makes fueling so much easier as you move around. Their phone app is great at showing you their locations and just use the truck lanes to get in and out. Ask your better half to clean the windshield while you use the pump and you can get in and out safely in no time at all. With a card, you don't have to even go inside and stand in line. You will love the quiet ride of your DP. jmo - mark
MCJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 07:24 AM   #8
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Try to stay off narrow streets where you've got to make turns until you get the feel of it!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 07:34 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Fleetwood Discovery 2015

Set aside a slush fund for eventualities. Keep you eye on possible problems. Fix as much as you can yourself.
Don't overextended too much driving. Get to know your neighbors, and ask a lot of questions about where to go.
Slow down, enjoy life.
Old 08-02-2016, 08:13 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MutinyGuy View Post
We will be picking up our new to us 09 WGO Tour in a few weeks in IA...I have been driving a 15 WGO Adventurer (33') for 2 years with no problems at all...what advice can you give me concerning driving a 40' diesel pusher?
Thanks!
Make sure you understand the systems for the chassis. You will now have an air ride and air brakes. These require inspections and maintenance. This is one overlooked item when people discuss DPers.
If you haven't taken an RV specific driving course I would HIGHLY recommend it. You will learn a number of tips and tricks. It may even get you a discount on your vehicle insrance
Old 08-02-2016, 08:31 AM   #11

New DP

Have a real good look at any tight spots you may contemplate attempting to get in.........and avoid them. You can get bottled up tighter then a bull's arse in fly season.
RIDER FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 08:49 AM   #12

Do not pull in unless you know you can get out. Backing out can be a pain. Like others said buy fuel where you know it is fresh. Bad tank cancost you dearly.

Take care and safe travels.

You will not have have any problem with the length.
Old 08-02-2016, 08:57 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
We switched from gasser to DP and love it. First major issue, in Dallas 4:00 pm attempting to cross 4 lanes 2 Interstates within a 1/4 mile...needed to "punch it" to get into hole in the traffic. There ain't no punch. Gasser wasn't a dragster, but the off the line punch of a DP is a DOG!!
Old 08-02-2016, 09:18 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Nothing new to add other than to carry spare fuel filters just in case you get a load of bad fuel. Maybe carry a FEAD belt.

Enjoy the quietness and the Big Picture.
JohnT is offline   Reply With Quote